Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Observer - Are footballers too "working class"?

• 04-07-2004 3:54pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/mediawatch/drilldown/MW6312040704-0938.htm

Is this a classist editorial? I haven't bought the Observer but I'm very surprised they've said this.

But I don't completely disagree. I don't think footballers should try to be middle-class. They should just be who they are and not care about what people think.

On the other hand, why is it so many foreign players can speak English. Not just the Dutch squad but players like Figo, who has never lived in England, speaks great English. Then you have players like Henry who just ooze culture and sophistication.

It seems to me that our players don't come from a wide pool of classes, i.e. working, middle and upper classes. We get mainly working class players coming through to the extent that Guardian readers like Graeme Le Saux get picked on and called 'gay' by other footballers for just being different. Meanwhile, the son of a millionaire Italian Count, Ginaluca Vialli , is just admired by other Italian footballers who see it as no strange thing that he should choose football as his profession.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The problem with English football is that it still hasn't adapted to the reality of continental football. Young kids are identified from an early age as "talent", but in most cases the educational backup is poor or non-existent. Then when they make into the first team, they're paid savage money, reinforcing the perception that education is a waste of time. The majority of players from the Britsih Isles are thick as pig-sh*t.

In addition, this contributes to the relatively poor standard of English managers. Its no wonder that of the top 5 teams in England, only one is managed by an Englishman (an increasingly deranged one at that...:D ) and one by a Scot who's a couple of years from retiring. The best coaches are continental, they have a much more rounded view of life and can approach the job from a different perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well english/british/Irish footballers are overwhelmingly working class in background so thats that. Often poorly educated, insular, not well read or "sophisticated" (Robbie Fowlers baiting of Graham Le Saux being perfect illustration) but with a certain talent and drive to suceed.

I cant see what the Observer is getting at here either. The last bit suggests a throwback to the era of "the Officer Class" to run things like football teams. The game has always been of the common working man that won't change quickly no matter how rich the players get. As for guessing what players will do with thier time after they retire, the author may be suprised or he may not. So what?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

On the continent they have dedicated academies, while in Britain/Ireland, kids learn the game on the streets, and in the fields. Therefore it is not too easy to see how there is a contrast in the degree to which the respective players are "cultured", or "working class". Personally, I believe in "working class class", which smarter British/Irish players, and fans, should aspire to. :cool:

Advertisement