Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Privatisation Poll

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

re: 125,000 to ESB workers

Perhaps due to memories of Rhode peat burning plant?

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2003/05/31/story178398433.asp

no electricity could be produced at the plant for 2 years, but the staff were working following procedures and carrying out maintanence.
    Then a voluntary redundancy payment beyond the dreams of most people.

Sorry, but as someone in private sector computing who's hovering at the edge of redundancy for about 4 years now, not through incompetence (well not enough to get me laid-off), the mind winces in disbelief at the reports (many of which are exaggerated of course) of public sector practice.

Then we hear about the way projects are so badly implemented and not completed. Not just the major ones where there's some complexity, but the trivial ones that we hear about from parents and friends like networking a 20 person office that hasn't been completed after 3 years, payment up front, computers reaching obsolence in a warehouse, while the more dedicated people provide their own resources to try and do their job.

So... I'm torn like a politician between seeing family laid off and actually getting services that might work.

Best cop-out I can come up with is that any state body that won't make it practice for people to be fired or demoted for mistakes, and rewarded for competence, rather than seniority, should be privatised, otherwise beat up management till they get it to work.

Advertisement