Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games that would make good movies/Tv series

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I was gonna make a thread about this but huzzah, found a thread already up and running :)

OK, so videogame storylines that should be made into a movie :

Resident Evil 4
    Leon S. Kennedy was recruited by the U.S. Secret Service after they learned of his actions in Raccoon City. Leon is sent on a mission to rescue Ashley Graham, the President's daughter, who has been kidnapped by a mysterious cult. Leon travels to a rural village in Europe, where he encounters a horde of violent villagers who pledge their lives to "Los Illuminados" ("The Enlightened Ones" in Spanish), the cult that has kidnapped Ashley.

The locales range from a rural village to a dreary lakeside, to an ominous, opulant castle, and finally to an offshore island; teaming with. On his mission, he runs into former friends and allies with their own motives. Leon unravells the truth that the Cult Leader, Osmonde Saddler, has resurrected an age-old parasite that can control the will of his subjects (making them into 'zombie-like' drones). Ashley and Kennedy have both been impregnated with the parasite, and must work quickly to find a way to cure themselves, overcome the cult and escape.

Silent Hill 2
    James Sunderland has come to Silent Hill after receiving a letter from his wife, Mary, despite the fact that she had died three years prior. The letter states that Mary is waiting for James in their "special place," (i.e. Silent Hill). James reaches the town, only to discover it is not the same, beautiful town from his past. In addition to the strange, omnipresent fog, the whole town seems to be rotting away and abandoned. Bizarre, vaguely humanoid monsters are wandering the streets, waiting to attack him.

Silent Hill is a dreary, abandoned town, covered in snow/ashes from a great fire in the town, inhabited with horrific humanoid monsters and dank, rusted interiors. In his travels he meets a woman called Maria, who looks strikingly similar to his dead wife Mary. He also meets other characters, deranged or damaged in some way with a connection to the town. He sees many disturbing images, such as an open grave with his name on it, replaying saddening conversations with his dying wife etc, until the truth is finally revealed.

Batman : Arkham Asylum
    Batman unnervingly has easily apprehended the Joker and delivers him to Arkham Asylum. While there, the Joker gets free and announces that his inmates and goons have overtaken the Asylum. While there, Batman must devise cunning plans and execute them stealthily to save the guards and stop Joker's deadly plan for Gotham City. On his journey he meets Poison Ivy, who despises what Gotham has done to nature, Killer Croc, Bane etc and must overcome them in unique ways.

One of the highlights of the game is ScareCrow's "trips". He sprays Batman with hallucinogenic gas, transporting him to a world where a sky-scraper sized ScareCrow looks for Batman, making him see terrible sights (revisiting the alleyway where his parents were killed, going to a morgue with twitching body bags etc)...it's truly a fantastic moment which would've been amazing to see in Batman Begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

SOTC.

I have scenes set out in my head for it.

Couldn't show all 12 Collossus fights though - would probably have to narrow it to 4 or 5.

FF7 mini-series would be cool - expensive also though.

Silent Hill 2 would be a good, cheap movie translation (much better than what they tried anyway).

I'd love to see some sort of uplifting Valkyria Chronicles Movie too - some sort of Sin City style art but with a much brighter outlook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I was gonna make a thread about this but huzzah, found a thread already up and running :)

A six year old thread!:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i like this because we once again see retr0gamer say how good final fantasy 7 is :p

Bioshock would be cool if it was directed by Ridley Scott or someone of his ilk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Even I was young ans stupid :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I was reading the first post and retro was going on about how any of the metal gear solid games would make a great movie, and I instantly knew this thread must be old!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

looks like some people got their wish
    Max Payne
    Doom
    Resident Evil
    Silent Hill
    i wonder do they want to go back to a time when some of these movies weren't made

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Ph3n0m wrote: »
    I would say

Thief
    Max Payne/Streets of LA/etc

and for pure anime cutness and vio-lence, let Manga do C.R.E.A.T.U.R.E.S - the torture scenes would own!

Max payne has been done, it was balls.
    Thief would make a great movie
    Creature wrote: »
    Resident Evil would make a great film.........yup can't wait for someone make a RE film.......

I'd love to see a Silent Hill film, it has the makings of a great psycological horror. I heard something about a film being made based on it ages ago but I haven't heard anything solid since.

silent hill was done.
    Its actually one of the few game-cinema adaptions that's good

Edit: second one is currently in production

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

half life 2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Krieg wrote: »
    silent hill was done.
    Its actually one of the few game-cinema adaptions that's good

Good? It's watchable, no more. It was still absolute piss compared to the source material.

• Advertisement

SIX YEARS OLD?! I saw 10-7-xxxx and assumed it was 2009..... :D Maybe a new thread was a better idea.....but hey, nostalgia, eh!
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Good? It's watchable, no more. It was still absolute piss compared to the source material.

Sadly, I agree. I tried to think of it as "hey, the film is just a nightmare - a series of scary images" which is kind of silent hill - but no it isn't. Silent Hill unfurls why things happen and why certain images/monsters/items/locales are there. There's a reason people come to silent hill. It was cool to see the cameos but there is no reason they should be in the movie. During the film i'm constantly thinking "why are you here? I'd like to know!" and then Boromir turns around and the film ends :(

I still contend that they could just shamelessly rip-off the videogame plot and make it a film. At least it'd be a decent film. Maybe "they" (the filmmakers) have loftier goals and just continually fall flat on their faces.

Dead Space would make a great film; although it'd probably be quite like Aliens, Sunshine, Pandorum....Feck it, it'd still be awesome. Bit of religious cult action in there, terrifying expensive animatronics and we're good to go :)

GT does a good job at explaining the plot and premise of Dead Space, you can watch it (in HD!) here

dead-space-pics-20080519112104580_640w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Russell Crowe seem to enjoy turning Total War games into movies, he really should have done the Last Samurai though to complete the set.

Bioshock - is there a movie already in the works?

Uncharted - They should have used this as the basis for a new Indiana Jones style movie, I mean it basically was just Indiana Jones but I enjoyed the second game more than the last movie.

Starcraft - Really need a top, top movie from this. Please don't ruin it if you decide to make it.

All pretty obvious I guess but they would be my top picks. Obviously would want decent movies and not the usual game-to-movie money spinner. No Dooms, Max Paynes or Resident Evils please. If I wanted to watch a movie that was trying to emulate a video game I would just play the damn game. Make some good use of the license.

Here's what wikipedia has to say about a Bioshock movie :
    Industry rumors after the game's release suggested a film adaptation of the game would be made, utilizing similar green screen filming techniques as in the movie 300 to recreate the environments of Rapture. On May 9, 2008, Take Two announced a deal with Universal Studios to produce a BioShock movie, to be directed by Gore Verbinski and written by John Logan. The film was expected to be released in 2010, but was put on hold due to budget concerns.On August 24, 2009 it was revealed that Verbinski had dropped out of the project due to the studio's decision to film overseas to keep the budget under control. Verbinski reportedly feels this would have hindered his work on Rango. Juan Carlos Fresnadillo is in talks to direct with Verbinski as producer.

As of January 2010 the project is in pre-production stage, with Juan Carlos Fresnadillo attached as director, with Braden Lynch, a voice artist from BioShock 2, working on the film.

Little wiki tidbit about a Dead Space movie (which will very likely suck)
    On July 24, 2009, it was revealed that Electronic Arts was working with director D.J. Caruso on a live action feature based upon the game, intended to "bridge the gap between the two games." EA will produce the film with Temple Hill partners Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    If I wanted to watch a movie that was trying to emulate a video game I would just play the damn game. Make some good use of the license.

I agree, although I would like more people to enjoy the story of the game, and for games to get a proper recognition of the amazing stories they tell by the non-gaming community. We've yet to see a fantastic game-to-movie adaption that shows just how fantastic videogames are.

Anyway, i did some research on Resi....

Take Res Evil Extinction (the third movie) - it grossed $147,717,833 worldwide...which means (say about) ~15 million people actually saw the (crap) film. Resi 4 (PS2, Gamecube, Wii) sold about 5 million copies in total. I'd postulate that at least 66% of the people who watched the film haven't played Resi 4. And that's a crying shame. Think of how awesome that movie could be. Surely it's better than not having an awesome movie?

While checking out those stats on box office mojo, did you know that each Resi film grossed more than the last? Shocking, and sadly rewarding the wrong thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Fallout is being made into a film.

Shadow of the Colossus would be amazing, it is a piece of cinema in its own right.

Stalker (there is a book and a film) but a film of the game would be nice and broody and mysterious, as long as all actors and production was eastern european, no bloody yankee doodles thanks.

Mirrors Edge could have amazing real parkour all through the film, and fight choreography.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Ico would be better as a film than sotc imo

• Registered Users Posts: 33,776 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd prefer to see Metal Gear Solid as a TV series rather than movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

half life 2

Based on the two mini epsiodes by those brothers it could be a amazing movie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Russell Crowe seem to enjoy turning Total War games into movies, he really should have done the Last Samurai though to complete the set.

Bioshock - is there a movie already in the works?

Uncharted - They should have used this as the basis for a new Indiana Jones style movie, I mean it basically was just Indiana Jones but I enjoyed the second game more than the last movie.

Starcraft - Really need a top, top movie from this. Please don't ruin it if you decide to make it.

All pretty obvious I guess but they would be my top picks. Obviously would want decent movies and not the usual game-to-movie money spinner. No Dooms, Max Paynes or Resident Evils please. If I wanted to watch a movie that was trying to emulate a video game I would just play the damn game. Make some good use of the license.

Should it ever see the light of day I would look forward to, and fear, the Bioshock movie in equal measure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

if a Doom film had been done right it would have kicked several shades of ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Apparently the Uncharted film is going ahead (first I'd heard of it, so it might not be news)

Directed by the guy who directed three kings, and 3 other films I haven't seen...

Could turn out to be a really enjoyable popcorn munching flick imo (or a big bag of shíte)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Morrowind, HL2 mos def!
    Thief III

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 blottedchimp

Vampire Rain... nuff said!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I feel a bit dirty posting in a resurrected topic.

Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid could make great TV shows. Each season could be based on a different game, it'd be class!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Kingdom Hearts mini series, script is already written with the manga books.
    Stop Motion Little Big Planet cartoon series, using sceanarios created through the game get the guy who does the voice of Fry on Futurama,Billy West to do Sackboys voice, God of War CGI films would be good.

Mr. K wrote: »
    I feel a bit dirty posting in a resurrected topic.

Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid could make great TV shows. Each season could be based on a different game, it'd be class!

Yes, it would! I LOVE IT! BOOK IT! I fear that since Resi has already 'overstayed it's welcome' with a 4th film; that making a TV series of it wouldn't draw at all. But maybe they'll wait 5-10 years and do it HBO style. It'd be amazing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'd prefer to see Metal Gear Solid as a TV series rather than movies.

ohhh same here,I'd also like to see fallout as a series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

While playing God of War 3, I always felt it would make a better movie than a game. It was a good game, just not great.

tman wrote: »
    Apparently the Uncharted film is going ahead (first I'd heard of it, so it might not be news)

Directed by the guy who directed three kings, and 3 other films I haven't seen...

Could turn out to be a really enjoyable popcorn munching flick imo (or a big bag of shíte)

LOL! I love the Irish. I love our sense of humour. Really miss it when I go abroad.

Advertisement