Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jobs for the sake of jobs

Options
  • 04-07-2004 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

was listening to the radio the other someone was complaining about cold calls ie people ringing you up during your dinner advertising stuff
    theres alot fo resistence to this in many parts of the world

you would all agree with me its annoying and should be severly restricted?

but then the same person said but think of all the people employed in the call centers doing the calling maybe we shouldnt restrict it cos they might lose their jobs

what what sense does that make?

why is "but people might lose their jobs" such an often used arguement

surely there are national or global economic strageties which result in the loss of jobs that even those who thinks economics is of primary concern would be in favour of...

in reference to alot of the things i've spoken of before or even the story on the front of the sunday indo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Those call centres do a lot more than just cold calling. If it was outlawed, the job losses would be miniscule, and those who are cut, would get another job.

There are two thing here:
    1. The majority of people in call centres aren't there full time. Most are just filling an employment gap while they do training or look for other jobs. It's not like outlawing carpentry or accountancy - most call centre employees aren't making a career out of it, and can easily get jobs elsewhere.

2. We can't sacrifice our privacy for the sake of a few jobs. The same argument can be applied to things which woudl create job. Imagine the Government made it law that all citizens had to install a camera at their front door, so people coming and going could be monitored. Now imagine that one of the arguments for this was, "Think of all the jobs it'll create!".

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Those cold calling jobs are usually a bit dodgy as well - you only get paid if you attract a certain number of new customers in many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Originally posted by chewy

in reference to alot of the things i've spoken of before or even the story on the front of the sunday indo

Are you refering to the article re:the rise of sinn fein=job losses?
    That was the biggest load of tripe I've ever read.
    First off we're talking about a justice junior minister while Harney says shes heard nothing and secondly if its true why should we let american business dictate our domestic political agenda. Where do they get off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'm more worried about the lack of breaks being given to small indigenous companies and the huge amount of red tape they have to go through.

Most of the US-mega companies such as Amazon and Google only started up with a handful of employees a very short time ago.

The government should be helping to create the same model of success here.

But instead it's more of a photo-op for Harney when some US multi-national sets up a glorified sweat shop in Ballydehob and employs 100's from the start.

A lot of the call-centre and IT jobs in the UK have gone to India now.

Advertisement