Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2004 Review.

• 04-07-2004 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

So as the dust and glitter settles what do you reckon to the tourament and the implications of the results?

For me the astetic highlight was Holland - Czech Rep 90 mins of joyous football. The game as we love to see it.

The low point was'nt a team but a mentality - as personified by Deco. Hyped up, over-rated and a cheat.
    FIFA and UEFA must start to take the issue of diving and feigning injurey seriously.

The failure of all the "big guns" to shine might give various FAs food for thought but I doubt it. If they did suggest slimming the Premiership to 18 even 16 clubs we know what would happen.

Many players might take minute to consider whats important too, do they want to wear the Shirt with pride and commitment or to bolster thier earning power?

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Low point for me was "leaving the leg in" seriously a lot of it going on in this tourney, its horrible to see as players never get caught most of the time they miss but the intent is there.

Czech Dutch was highpoint with sporadic patches of football in games.
    Wasnt a poor tourney as by Euro standards it was normal just the bigger teams werent boring us with defensive football.

Roll on Copa America next week :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

Same here, Low point was the diving in the tourament. Also the big guns not giving a 100% for there country. I think when they play for there clubs they think....well i'm getting paid 100,000 a week so i have to give my best and i think most of them were saying a Euro 2004.........I'm not getting paid that much so i will show boat alittle and we'll win. While the teams like Greece/Sweden/Czechs gave 110% for every game.

High point for me was Costa's goal agaisnt England. I thought it was brilliant and for me it was goal of the tourament.

Player of the tourament: For me it has to be Dellas he was a ROCK for Greece in the defence and never put a foot wrong.

Flop of the tourament: take your pick, Beckham/Henry and many more......but Deco was really disappointing for me, he could pass the ball or deliver a ball and then there was the diving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Pauletta for Portugal impersonating an international footballer.
    Everyone one of their games i was sreaming to takew him off. I honestly dont remember him having a decent shot on target in all 6 games. he was the worst as i seen him 6 times and the coach kept perservering with him.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

For me there are two images that I'll take from this tournament. Both are undeniable facts, but both are still feel like dreamlike images to me and somehow impossible to accept.

1. Greece holding the Henri Delaunay trophy aloft in triumph.
    2. Michael Silvestre wearing the French national team jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I always wondered did Mark Lawrenson regard himself as Irish or English and I think I've finally found out. His high point of the tournament was Ricardo scoring the penalty against England.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The high point for me was the Greek defending , if any side can defend like that theve always got a chance .

The fan running on too the pitch wasnt to funny (even though he got past a lot of stewards ) , but once he flew into that net , it seemed as if it was deeper than he expected , and we all know the rest :D .

Low point , divers : Deco , Robben , Mornar , Prso(its a good thing refs are stricter in Scotland ) , Totti spitting at Poulsen , and then giving a go at breaking Henrikkson's leg .

Advertisement