Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoid GAME - they suck

Options
  • 04-07-2004 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

GAME are now implementing a no-returns
    policy on PC games. It doesn't matter how buggy,
    how crashy, how hardware incompatible a PC game
    is, GAME will not offer a refund under any of these
    circumstances. I can't imagine how this can be
    legal but whatever. Avoid these creeps at all
    costs.

Uthur.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Cos most have serials and if installed the serial is used, tbh i didnt even know they ever did returns on PC Games, I had to say it was a gift or the person i got it for was underage to get a return on it.

Kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Cos most have serials and if installed the serial is used, tbh i didnt even know they ever did returns on PC Games, I had to say it was a gift or the person i got it for was underage to get a return on it.

Kdjac

True. Agree with thread title though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

That sucks. I think you have a legal entitlement to a refund
    on any product if it is defective.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by Axel
    Agree with thread title:)

me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

But you will keep the serial , they know it ,i know it and you know it.

Why would they take the crap off the next guy who buys it and the serial is in use. Sounds fair to me that they dont do returns on PC games. if it was my shop i wouldnt ,i know what most people are like :)

kdjac

• Advertisement

I don't get it. Why would you want to keep a serial for a POS game you were trying to get rid of?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

There called Cd rw ;)

Originally posted by Uthur
    I don't get it. Why would you want to keep a serial for a POS game you were trying to get rid of?

Yeah i agree that if the game doesnt work for whatever reason you Should get you money back, however its gonna be abused. There is no way to know, unless you drag your pc into the shop with you :)

The existance of "no cd" cracks is a major reason for this recent revolution i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

isn't this just multiplayer online games that you need a serial for?

if not, when did they start with this?

A lot of games need the serial to install now adays dont know when they started but op flashpoint has been out 2 years or so and it needs the serial number to install

• Advertisement

Originally posted by eyerer
    isn't this just multiplayer online games that you need a serial for?

if not, when did they start with this?

Depends on the game. some might require it upon install. Like Microsoft games........

apparantly a month ago or summat. Bloody rip-off artists if you ask me. Other stores are usually cheaper anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That sucks. I think you have a legal entitlement to a refund
    on any product if it is defective.

If a product is defective they can give you a refund or a replacement, since you would be returning it because (most likely) your pc spec doesnt meet the requirements, a replacement cd wont help you. So technically its not defective. Basically if your happy to buy a game and have read the spec requirments, then the onus is on you.

I'm sure that, in the rare ocurance of a factory pressed cd being defective(ie the disc is defective as opposed to your pc.) they would swap a disc from another box to prevent any misuse of cd keys.

They won't give you a refund/exchange even if you do meet the specs. They won't give you a refund under any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

they said it to me when i bought thief3 which has no serial and isn't online play.

he asked would my pc run it as there's no 10day money back ga-ra-tee (how the **** you spell that?)

not having a 10 day money back offer is different to a no returns policy. If your pc meets the spec and you buy the game then you would have no reason to want to return it, and they are in their rights to not take back stuff just cos you dont want it anymore.

However, if the cd doesnt work because of a manufacturers fault then they have to offer a refund or replacement, its the law and they wont have a problem with that. I bought games a week or two ago and was told that they dont offer a 10 day money back offer anymore, which i had no problem with. If you want use stuff for a few days go to extra vision and rent it, thats what their there for.

However, if the cd doesnt work becouse of a manufacturers fault then they have to offer a refund or replacement, its the law and they wont have a problem with that

They do have a problem with it. That's the whole point. They won't refund a PC game no matter how feckered it is.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    he asked would my pc run it as there's no 10day money back ga-ra-tee (how the **** you spell that?)

guar-an-tee
    GAME are now implementing a no-returns policy on PC games. It doesn't matter how buggy, how crashy, how hardware incompatible a PC game is, GAME will not offer a refund under any of these circumstances. I can't imagine how this can be
    legal but whatever. Avoid these creeps at all costs.

Actually, 'buggy' is the only thing that you have listed above that could possible come under your legal entitlement of a refund on any defective product.

Even at that, you'd probably wouldn’t have a real legal leg to stand on unless the bug was completely stopping the game from working.

They do have a problem with it. That's the whole point. They won't refund a PC game no matter how feckered it is.

I think you picked it up wrong because ive bought stuff and never been told i have no legal entitlement to return something to them.Them offering a 10 dya return , no questions asked was not a legal requirment and was rare for a company nowadays.

As far as a game being buggy and not working, it doesnt really happen. If a developer mass produces a few hundred thousand of an identical cd, one or two isnt going to be magically buggy. If the orignal source was so buggy as to not allow the game to run at all, i hardly think they would go ahead and press and sell thousands of copies anyway.

If the cd is defective then you have a legal right to a refund or replacement, and if your complaint was genuine then you'd be happy with a replacement cd, so again i dont see a problem. Unless of course, you were just returning the game because you decided its crap or your money coul dhave been better spent, at which point you have no legal comeback.

If the orignal source was so buggy as to not allow the game to run at all, i hardly think they would go ahead and press and sell thousands of copies anyway.

From what i hear driver or driv3r 3 stupid name :rolleyes: was pritty close to unplayable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I thought everywhere else had a similar policy...
    You'd be surprised at how little some people who come in to buy PC games know about their machines. Ask them the specs of their machine for checking will a new game will run on it and a lot of them say 'It's a Dell.' If you're lucky its 'It's got XP.' Then they freak out when their PC won't run the latest games!?

Originally posted by rainbow kirby
    I thought everywhere else had a similar policy...
    You'd be surprised at how little some people who come in to buy PC games know about their machines. Ask them the specs of their machine for checking will a new game will run on it and a lot of them say 'It's a Dell.' If you're lucky its 'It's got XP.' Then they freak out when their PC won't run the latest games!?

From a legal point of view though, unless the guy in the shop turned around and claimed that it would definately work no matter what then you have no comeback. The minimun spec is on the box and its up to you to know your spec, so at the end of the day its touigh if you get it wrong and get soemthing that doesnt work on your pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭huge

that sux least GAMESPOT let you return

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

game can't do anything that affects your statutory rights under the sales of goods and supplies of services act 1980.

so like stekelly says if the actual disc is defective and you have proof of purchase they have to give you a refund/replacement and although i'm not sure on this you can demand a refund.

if the actual disc is defective and you have proof of purchase and they still say no, then usually asking for the manager, the mentioning of the above act or the consumers affairs chaps on o'connell street is enough to send most shops running to the till to give you back your money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cows With Guns

Thats gonna burn a hole in the pocket of all the online gamers down in cork!

I don't blame GAME, they're getting scammed left, right and centre by the old "my pc didn't meet the requirements" line id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Bull****
    Game stoped because ppl where buying, installing, cracking, returning.
    You ppl who do that are just sad and disgust me. Its your fault for doing that game stoped allowing the return of pc games. Ur lucky im not in charge or everyone who did that would all be shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Originally posted by User45701
    Bull****
    Game stoped because ppl where buying, installing, cracking, returning.
    You ppl who do that are just sad and disgust me. Its your fault for doing that game stoped allowing the return of pc games. Ur lucky im not in charge or everyone who did that would all be shot.
    I'm sorry, is this the same person who admits to downloading illegal copies of movies off the net.

I guess for some, different rules apply to PC games compared to films :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

:D
    Owned

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

heres a case in point

the requirements for farcry are met easily by my pc, i get the game home, it wont install...... i read the readme, all dvd drives are supported EXCEPT LG drives, my dvd drive is an lg drive, in order to play farcry i had to take an old single speed dvd drive from a box i dont even use anymore to install it wich took over an hour.

its only fortuitous i had the spare dvd drive, but if i didnt im entitled to return the game because this 'requirement' isnt on the box.

same goes for any other game with 'readme' requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement