Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive question?

Options
  • 05-07-2004 1:19am
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

I have 2 drives running on raid 0 and there both sata. Would I be able to install a third hard drive, Say an IDE one or even another Sata and then install windows xp onto to both .....so basically 2 different copies of windows for 2 different users and be able to boot up which ever drive for what ever user?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

As long as you have enough sockets on your motherboard there should be no problem with connecting a third drive. You may not have another SATA socket free so I'd say you'll be left with an IDE drive.

Why would you want to install another copy of XP? You can just set up another user. Go into the Control Panel and there should be an icon for users. In there you can add a new user.

You might be interested to know that if you format your drive as an NTFS file system you can have better security options.
    Right click on any NTFS drive or folder and select properties. Then click on the security tab at the top. This displays a screen where you can specify which users have access to the drive or folder and you can restrict the level of access ie. read only or read and execute.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

thxs Raz....I have been using multipal accounts for other users off my machine but they have a tendency of messing it up. I think I will just look at security features of my drive as I'm set up on ntfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Having XP on the IDE drive and one on the SATA would just mean a quick change in the BIOS to see which it boots from........

The Security option (NTFS file system) is a much better idea, but requires alot of time and organisation.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

u could use a program like XOSL and have the two windows on 1 physical drive
    u would b promed which win 2 load on startup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭zt

If you install two copies of Windows, you may have a worse administration problem on your hands. You will need two copies of Windows, Program Files and swap etc. They will need to be installed twice ...

The bigger problem is that an administrator on one system will have administrator rights on the other disk.

For users sharing the same system you should use XP security options as described above. Just make yourself the administrator and give other user limited security permissions. I do this on one of my home machines and it works reasonably well.

Z

• Advertisement
Advertisement