Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 in Last night at the Fitz (Sunday)

Options
  • 05-07-2004 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭

So who won it then?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Well I went out 6th. Over the last 3 tournies I have been in AA has been my exit hand. the previous 2 my KK & TT didn't improve against AA - last night my AA was out gunned by 55 and a 5 on the flop. Went out on the bubble - only 700 for first. Samsons cousin was doing well - chip leader after taking my chips - only one other large stack - other 3 even enough.

Damn AA's.

Hyzepher

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I dont which was uglier the cards I had to look at or the people I had to look at.

AA was my exit hand too, in Oscars hands!

Played well but just didnt get the cards. I pulled a lovely, total and utter bluff early on and Luke said I had a monster so I flashed him the cards just to stick it up to him. "Show one show all" came a voice down the other end and I embarrassingly had to show the K7o that I'd bluffed about 6 people off the flop with... *bold* !

Bubble in WSOP, 11th in the 20in and nowhere in the freeroll... yesterday was not one of my better poker days :(

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Went from 11k to 0 in 3 hands. Accidentaly hit a house with rags from the blind, 6-2 os found a board of 7-7-6,8,7, bet out 5k only to find the BB sitting on 8-5 os! Then my 8's got rivered next hand by Pauls Kings and tilted by going allin with my last 1.5k on KoJack suited to no avail. Looking forward to tonight.

Btw, that American dude is gas, making Hellmuth style "how can you call me with that" comments!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Ryan won it. He was sitting in seat seven at the final table. He said it was only his third tournie in there, and I'd believe him - string bets and splashing the pot every other hand. Decent player though, although albeit a lousy tipper. Just kidding ;)

Which guy is Ryan? Red haired guy who was at table one on my right?

• Advertisement

yeah, spiky red hair and facial hair. he had the most amazing run of cards at the final table, he could do no wrong. rita came second, paul third and John (who was to Chris's left on the final table) came fourth.

Thats incredible. He was so loose early on, rebought to the max. Thats poker I guess!

that's what rebuys are there for I suppose. he tightened up for a while after the freeze and got a nice couple of hands to put him a monster stack, but it was really the final table hands that helped most.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Who was the guy on table 1 (with 2 tables remaining) who called nearly every all-in with hands like Ace-5 and won! He had a huge stack, think he just about knocked out norman, norman was left with a single chip.

I've seen him quite a bit in the freerolls and 20 games, he certainly like to gamble it up!

that was john, oldish guy in seat 2? i noticed his penchant for A5o. Odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by Marq
    that was john, oldish guy in seat 2? i noticed his penchant for A5o. Odd.
    is he on boards? or can I freely insult his play? :)

He knocked me out with A5 :mad:

About 30 mins later I get a text of my mate Gav (big lad in seat 4). That John chap had just knocked him out with A6!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

That has to be same guy who took me out the last time I was in there. Is he a skinny guy? I remember I was all in pre, with two callers - himself and Norman. Flop came down with an A, (I had AQ off) he bet at it. Norman got very angry with him, saying he should have checked me down. Which he should have post flop. Norman mucked after a lot of abuse. We flipped over our cards, he showed A3 off. And came out with the comment "I thought one of you may have had a better kicker alright." Unfortunately for me a river 3 gave him two pair and that was me out as the final table formed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

What game is this?,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

Originally posted by dirkey_wynne
    Norman got very angry with him, saying he should have checked me down.

I have heard this mentioned before and seen some agro over it. I'm I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous?

Is this some kind of accepted etiquette which I just don't follow? (like not check raising!!)

Surely going all in after another all in is just as bad as not checking the hand down by the same logic? (which the gentleman is question is very fond of)

You are still trying to push other people off a pot which they would otherwise call/stay in for value.

Seems like bull**** to me,
    Karl

Originally posted by karlh
    I have heard this mentioned before and seen some agro over it. I'm I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous?

Is this some kind of accepted etiquette which I just don't follow? (like not check raising!!)

Well post flop I'd have to agree with Norman that the guys play against me was bad. He had top pair with a terrible kicker. I had been all in pre flop, so there was a chance I had the Ace. A good chance. Also there were only a few players left at this stage - after I went I think there were 2 more hands before the final table formed. I think he probably should have just checked it down after the flop to get rid of me.

What I didn't agree with was the venom with which Norman reacted, things he was saying etc. I don't think you should criticise another persons play at the table just because you don't like it - that's just bad manners!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

surely it's good, strong play to drive the other player off the hand to take on the all in 1 on 1?

not good play if you think your behind in the first place but.....??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Originally posted by karlh

Surely going all in after another all in is just as bad as not checking the hand down by the same logic? (which the gentleman is question is very fond of)

You are still trying to push other people off a pot which they would otherwise call/stay in for value.

Seems like bull**** to me,
    Karl

Don't get me started....again. Norman is one to talk. He will not hesitate to bet out if someone is all in and he thinks he has the best of it.

It seems that you can only raise when a player is all in if you are one of the "older" players. There seems to be a rule that n00bs like us are not allowed to.

MrP

Originally posted by Batbat
    What game is this?,

Not sure what you mean but here goes.

The game is No Limit Texas Hold 'em ( a varient of poker) and we are discussing a tournament that took place last night in a Dublin Card Club.

MrP

hmm Not sure I played that before, Devore is bringing me down on Thursday to have a look

• Advertisement

If Norman ever gives you sh1t about that, just tell him it doesn't make a difference cos you have him beat at least. plus I wouldn't take him too seriously, half of that is just to put you off. He's quite good at putting people on tilt - don't let him do it to you. Personally though, I would only raise in this situation if I have the nuts or very close to it. Going in with A3 even though you're pretty sure someone has a better kicker is terrible play, and I can see why Norman was pissed.

I've seen this topic come up a lot, maybe I'll post it to the fitz tips sticky up top.

Originally posted by Marq
    If Norman ever gives you sh1t about that, just tell him it doesn't make a difference cos you have him beat at least. plus I wouldn't take him too seriously, half of that is just to put you off. He's quite good at putting people on tilt - don't let him do it to you. Personally though, I would only raise in this situation if I have the nuts or very close to it. Going in with A3 even though you're pretty sure someone has a better kicker is terrible play, and I can see why Norman was pissed.

I've seen this topic come up a lot, maybe I'll post it to the fitz tips sticky up top.

I agree. He should have figured I probably had something, more than likely an Ace as it was one of my first times in there and I'd been playing incredibly tight all night. I think Norman knew this, as I'd been on tables with him for most of the night, so when he saw the guy raising he was probably worried - seeing the Ace out on the table. He was right to be - given that when the cards were turned I was well out in front, however the river 3 took me down, and that as they say is poker.

do you have a link to the rules of this game pls?

Originally posted by MrPudding
    Don't get me started....again. Norman is one to talk. He will not hesitate to bet out if someone is all in and he thinks he has the best of it.

It seems that you can only raise when a player is all in if you are one of the "older" players. There seems to be a rule that n00bs like us are not allowed to.

MrP

I've heard mention of this before. Only difference is, in this case the guy who raised post flop with me all in, was an old dude - well, slightly older than Norman anyway and definitely someone who Norman knew to play against.

Originally posted by Batbat
    do you have a link to the rules of this game pls?

Check out the stickies at the top. There are some links buried in there that should help you.

MrP

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Gerard, its very very like that game Frisco we used to play with the others. 5 community cards for all to use, 2 in your hand for you alone. The 5 cards are revealed 3 then 1 then 1 and there is betting when you get your hole cards and after the first 3 are revealed and then the next and the next.

See you thursday!

DeV.

Advertisement