Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie questions

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

I've looked up and down this thread for where you have answered my question but can't find it, you repeatedly say you have answered it and that i should look in the small print, so i can only assume you are refering to your signature as an excuse not to answer it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Kev
    I've looked up and down this thread for where you have answered my question but can't find it, you repeatedly say you have answered it and that i should look in the small print, so i can only assume you are refering to your signature as an excuse not to answer it.

No Kev. If I were referring to my sig, I'd have said so. Just like every other time I've ever used my sig on boards.ie

So now I want an apology for the insult of your false accusation that I insulted you.

Maybe you would get one if you point out exactly where you answered my question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Right so the two of you are really getting on my nerve now.

Kev:

I think what Lemming is trying to say is that no matter how hard you train you will never find yourself in the same situation as if you were training out in a Dojo.

Please correct me if I am wrong Lemming.

And Lemming please answer his question if I have misunderstood by what you guys are argueing about.

Please sort it out now cause this thread has seriously gone off topic.

RunFree

If you dont want to sort it out then dont post but if you do want to sort it out quick or you both get a weeks banning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Runfree

I think what Lemming is trying to say is that no matter how hard you train you will never find yourself in the same situation as if you were training out in a Dojo.

Please correct me if I am wrong Lemming.

You'd be fairly correct Runfree and it shows "pressure testing" to be nothign more than a buzz-word and the provider of a false sense of security to the M.A. student.

And Lemming please answer his question if I have misunderstood by what you guys are argueing about.

TBH he started getting pedantic so I decided to point out that by proxy I had already answered his question on how I train Runfree. I don't train (To the best of my knowledge) with competitive goals in mind, ergo am encouraged to avoid ritualisation/routine in both how I train and my responses to techniques. As for how do you tell if what you're doing works in reality, I already pointed that out. The only sure way that you will ever really know is when you are forced into such a situation. Hopefully you will never have to find out.

• Advertisement

"pressure testing" doesn't have to have competitive goals.

just because a certain training method isnt as realistic as a street fight doesn't make it worthless, if it did all training methods would be worthless.

you say the only way to test if your training works is to be forced into a situation where you have to use it. so that makes all methods as good as each other, you can't argue that tae bo isn't very good for seld defense.

surely the best way to test your training is in an environment with as little restrictions as necessary to keep it safe, and then apply some logic and reasoning.

If you don't have anything constructive to add why not refrain from posting instead of insulting people.

Kev banned for a week for constant trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭TwoKingMick

Thats a little harsh.
    To lemming i would say, take yourself down to your nearest mma club. Chat to some people for a while then try to get yourself a nice friendly fight. Beforehand YOU decide on the rules, whatever you like, just make it nice and clear to begin with. Then see what pressure tested means.
    MMA guys are professional level fighters. Many do it every day, and make a living from it, both as fighters and bouncers.
    Less chat, more action, thats my motto.

And yes i realise the irony of saying that on a chat board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Lemming you said.
    I'm wary of words like "Pressure tested" or any art with the word "Combat" in it because it smacks of ritualisation to me. And that defeats the purpose of martial arts imo.

In my experience "pressure tested" martial arts tend to be the least ritualised of all martial arts. Less ceremony, tradition and filler and more performance.

Also not meaning to reiterate Kevs point too much but what do you train in and what approach does that art take.

Are you saying that the only adequate training is street training. Is that what you engage in?

Not trying to troll or offend. Just trying to figure out where you are coming from!:)

• Advertisement

Thread closed as it has gone seriously off-topic. Please post you comments in the Pressure Testing thread.

Also have reduced Kevs ban to three days.

liamo if you have any more questions please start a new thread and feel free to ask for information.

RunFree

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement