Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Euro 2004 All-Star Squad

• 05-07-2004 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

UEFA have named Greece captain Theodoros Zagorakis as the player of Euro 2004.

All-star squad of 23:

Goalkeepers: Petr Cech – Czech Republic, Antonios Nikopolidis – Greece.

Defenders: Sol Campbell – England, Ashley Cole – England, Traianos Dellas - Greece, Olof Mellberg – Sweden, Ricardo Carvalho – Portugal, Georgios Seitaridis - Greece, Gianluca Zambrotta – Italy.

Midfielders: Michael Ballack – Germany, Luis Figo – Portugal, Frank Lampard - England, Maniche – Portugal, Pavel Nedved – Czech Republic, Theodoros Zagorakis - Greece, Zinedine Zidane – France.

Strikers: Milan Baros – Czech Republic, Angelos Charisteas – Greece, Henrik Larsson – Sweden, Cristiano Ronaldo – Portugal, Wayne Rooney – England, Jon Dahl Tomasson – Denmark, Ruud van Nistelrooy – Holland.

I would have had Poborsky in there instead of probably Lampard or Figo, otherwise its good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

I though they usually picked a team of the tournament? or is that only the World Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I would have made Dellas the player of the tournament. He was absolutely amazing in defense. Can't wait to see how many millions Roman stumps up for him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Dunno about Greek keeper ,the defense was so good he barley made a save :)

Zagorakis would be my man of tourney too.Going forward and defending he kept some big name payers in his pocket.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I'm not sure about the greek keeper either. I would have gone for the swedish guy or Sorenson in front of him. I also wouldn't have Figo in the team. He did some nice things but he always seemed to be moaning to a ref, he was replaced in a lot of the earlier games and looked wrecked for large parts of the other games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

c. ronaldo is not a striker
    nistlerooy shouldn't be there, what did he do against portugal or sweden?
    and was pissing around with this offside ****e in the czech match

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by eyerer
    c. ronaldo is not a striker
    and was pissing around with this offside ****e in the czech match
    Ronaldo is classed as a striker by UEFA for some reason.

van Nistlerooy was the second highest scorer, who would you have in his place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

The CZechs were the best attacking team in the tournament and they only get 3 players in the list and 1 is there goalie ... I dunno about the english players .. Rooney maybe and Campbell , but the others :rolleyes:

I'd have the big Czech forward in instead of misstleroy too ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by eyerer

he caused "all sorts of problems" in one of the tournaments worst games...

Ruud v Sweden

another "masterful display" against mighty Latvia

2 MOM, 4 goals, we'll let him in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Jan Koller didnt play well enough to get into the team of the tournament .
    Ashley Cole deserves his place , he was one of England's better players .

The strikers who score a lot of goals deserve to be in the team of the tournament ,eveb if one was in a penalty shootout :rolleyes: .

good keepers are usually defined on how many mistakes they make , and in fairness to Nikopolidis , he didnt make many , even if that defence was rock solid .

maybe Uefa class Ronaldo as an attacker , in that cause he should be grouped with the strikers and forward .

I wouldnt have Lampard in it .(probably have poborsky instead )

I think Basinas deserved a place ahead of Zidane or Figo , even though he is a different type if midfielder . (If there gonna put Ronaldo with the forwards , they could have another defensive midfielder , instead of an attacking one .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Big Ears
    The strikers who score a lot of goals deserve to be in the team of the tournament ,eveb if one was in a penalty shootout :rolleyes:.
    Goals in penalty shootouts don't count, don't mind George Hamilton.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Goals in penalty shootouts don't count, don't mind George Hamilton.:D

but he has infinite knoledge and is always right . :rolleyes:

Advertisement