Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movie "greats/classics" that you just didn't get...

• 05-07-2004 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

mine has to be Goodfellas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Pretty Woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭kurtmark22

Mine is Pulp Fiction, Just never 'got' the popularity of that film. (Its crap compared to Dogs, Jackie Brown & Kill Bills)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 sweet-sue

Originally posted by tman
    Pretty Woman
    Oh god me too, and Dirty Dancing, I can't stand them.

Never seen Pretty Woman but Dirty Dancing has dated horribly.

Originally posted by sweet-sue
    Oh god me too, and Dirty Dancing, I can't stand them.
    i guess the irony of a bloke not getting a chick flick, and a chick not getting a bloke flick is lost on you...

• Advertisement

I assume you are saying Goodfellas is a 'bloke' flick. I don't agree with that assesment to be honest. It's just as much a film that females like as blokes.

embee is the only female on the planet that likes Goodfellas... and she's not right tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

BATTLE ROYALE
    BATTLE ROYALE
    BATTLE ROYALE

i can stress how much that film is over-rated

It's not that I didn't like Goodfellas, I just don't understand why it's gone down in the books as a "great".

Originally posted by sweet-sue
    It's not that I didn't like Goodfellas, I just don't understand why it's gone down in the books as a "great".
    superb acting, plot, character development, direction... and... well, Joe Pesci going nuts:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Man bites dog was raved about before it came out but I thought was god awful, really boring.

The Indianna Jones films enjoyable enough but by no means classics

Titanic aswell although it appears it is no longer regarded as a classic..

Oh and dont start me on Forrest Gump....

Forrest Gump, lol a great film except when Gump is on screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Goodfellas is great.

Forrest Gump... Titanic... Pretty Woman... they're all pants. I'd like to add Finding Nemo. How that unfunny overly sentimental tripe ended up on so many "best of the year" lists is beyond me, though it isn't really a "classic" at this point (here's hoping it never becomes one).

Grease. If you want a cool John Travolta film with good music watch Staying Alive, avoid Grease like the plague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Blade Runner.

I like Ford, and I like Sci-Fi.
    Just thought it was a load of shite.

I would not call Blade Runner a lod of ****e exactly. Its a moderatly good film wrongly giving classic status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

Dawn of the Dead. Without doubt, the biggest pile of **** ever transferred to culluloid. People who refer to it as a classic need their heads examined, there is nothing redeeming about it whatsoever.

O......kay somebody doesn't like George Romereo films. (I presume you don't refer to the remake) Personally I love The Dead films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Being John Malkovich .... also tempted to put in the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind .. but that's probably too recent to be considered classic ... (and hopefully never will be) ...

will say this for Finding Nemo ... as a children's film (which it is) ... you can't deny that it's fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Fargo.

• Advertisement

Kurt, four words:

Zombies and blue paint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

I have to say Kill Bill, what a pile of ****e that film was. never botherd with Kill Bill2 and never will:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by bandit
    The Indianna Jones films enjoyable enough but by no means classics
    *twitch*

If you don't like Indiana Jones you don't like films. As these films repesent all that is best about (action) cinema.

completely agree about Kill Bill, I just didn't understand the hype around them at all. I didn't bother with KB2 either and I'm dreading the prequel, let it go dude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Taxi Driver

Only saw it recently and i was really dissapointed. Dont know why its regarded so highly. As its not that violent by todays standards but people still claim its brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

Fight Club - (I did "get" it, but just didnt like it) it was just about okay. Classic? No fecking way. Stupidest twist ever. Ridiculous plot, ridiculous ending. Annoying characters.

Batman 1 - ruined batman for me. Michael Keaton? Twitching annoying "quirky" dwarf. Jack nicholson? Worst role ever for him. A complete embarassment. I fully blame Tim "I'm wierd" Burton - the only halfway decent films he's ever made are Edward Scissorhands and Big fish (yes I DO mean that).

Lost in translation - fine it was a good enough film, but whats with all the hype. It was just okay. whats with all the oscar nominations? Best Actor? Come on.

Originally posted by Evil_Bilbo
    Batman 1 - ruined batman for me. Michael Keaton? Twitching annoying "quirky" dwarf. Jack nicholson? Worst role ever for him. A complete embarassment. I fully blame Tim "I'm wierd" Burton - the only halfway decent films he's ever made are Edward Scissorhands and Big fish (yes I DO mean that).
    :confused:
    that is by far the best batman film yet made.
    dark, edgy... and one of Jack Nicholson's best performances imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

fight club. i 'got it', i just think its a pants film to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

:confused:
    that is by far the best batman film yet made.
    dark, edgy... and one of Jack Nicholson's best performances imo

I agree here.

As for shíte. Maybe it's not a classic, but it's lauded as great.... Ichi The Killer. Went way over my head.

Joker jack's facial prosthetic was ridiculous. He was more like a crappy fat-arsed clown than an evil maniac.

It was an excellent casting descision, coz Jack nicholson definitaly has THE coolest most evil smile in cinema history. They shouldve let that be seen instead of a frozen plastic gob that gave him a speech impediment.

Dont even get me started on michael keaton - what is he 5'2"? C'mon - bats should be tall, dark and scary, not short, twitchy, quirky and annoying (much like tim burton himself). I mean - jack napier (aka the joker) turning out to be the guy who killed bruce's parents? Please

It wasnt dark or sinister enough by a country mile. Perhaps it was all the hype before the film (and the comics) that built it up for me, but I've never been so let down by one movie.

I seriously prefer batman 3 (and thats saying alot) at least bats is someway cool (and tall)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Two immediately spring to mind

a) 2001 a space oddyssey....I liked the idea of the sinister computer in it, but the special effects woo-woo lunacy at the end left me wondering what the hell. Consider that Leonard Rossiter was in it as well (Rigsby from Rising Damp) and it's even harder to take seriously!

b) The Thin Red Line. over two hours of my life I shall never have back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Maybe you comic book nerds should stop judging it so harshly because it took liberties with some of the things you hold so dear, and just judge it as a stand-alone film.

And as a stand-alone film, it's kick-ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Originally posted by grumpytrousers
    Two immediately spring to mind

a) 2001 a space oddyssey....I liked the idea of the sinister computer in it, but the special effects woo-woo lunacy at the end left me wondering what the hell. Consider that Leonard Rossiter was in it as well (Rigsby from Rising Damp) and it's even harder to take seriously!

b) The Thin Red Line. over two hours of my life I shall never have back...

agreed on both... particularly space odyssey... what a load of prog-rock-equivalent ****...

and as for Thin Red Line... lets just say i dont fall asleep during films that often, but...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Archvillain

ET.
    I mean, was it just me or was this actually a serious attempt a religious movie?
    (um... probably just me then... ok i'll go home.... 'door shuts')

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

ET.

What's not to get. It had flying bikes for Gods sakes...

It *may* have had quasi-religious themes but in a similar way to CS Lewis' Narnia stories, any God-bothering mallarkey shouldn't have gotten in the way of your enjoyment of a perfectly good story...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon...strange as I love 'that' type of film , I eevn watched it about 5 times because everyone kept raving about it but I still think its 'meh'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

On the waterfront. Too much mumbling.

Anything by Alfred Hitchcock. Apart from good cinematography, the movies themselves are tripe.

While of the theme of archaic classics, I have to nominate Citizen Kane. Ahead of it's time in many ways but ultimately a boring story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭carpocrates

star wars.
    are we seriously supposed to believe that grown men would put on huge rubber costumes in the boiling heat and act out these roles without knowing the cameras were there?
    give me a break!

• Advertisement

Edward Scissorhands... what the hell? I was only a babby when I saw it so maybe I really didn't "get it" as in understand it but from what I remember I ain't gonna watch it again. I've tried but I can't sit through it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Tusky
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon...strange as I love 'that' type of film , I eevn watched it about 5 times because everyone kept raving about it but I still think its 'meh'.
    Completely agree. A case of "eh... so what?" once I saw it. I completely disagree with joe_chicken on 2001 however...

Can I also go out on a limb and say I found Scarface a pile of crap, and the Godfather somewhat boring (although very well made).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

embee is the only female on the planet that likes Goodfellas... and she's not right tbh

Add my better half to that list too ... she loves the scene where Johnny pistol wips the guy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I have to agree with Castus Col & Imposter ... I'd also have to go with Being John Malkowich & Fargo

Being John Malkowich ... I just didn't get it!!

Fargo was infuriatingly cr@p ... except for the bit where Steve Buscemi is fed to the wood chipper :D

In relation to Batman, Jack Nicholson was outstanding as the Joker ... actually, who else could have played him ... and although Michael Keaton may be short, he was the best yet [& maybe forever - we'll have to see how Christain Bale is] at playing the dark & brooding Bruce Wayne ... I'm probably wrong though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

Originally posted by LoneGunM@n

Fargo was infuriatingly cr@p ... except for the bit where Steve Buscemi is fed to the wood chipper :D

i can't understand how people don't like fargo! for me it was one of those watch-with-open-mouth films, i loved it so much.

it's hardly a classic, but i didn't get traffic. or gladiator. both ****e, tbh

Gladiator may be deemed by some as a classic, I don't agree with that, but certainly is entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by LoneGunM@n

What!? It's an absolute masterpeice!

but i didn't get traffic.

I never Got Traffic Either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Etain

Star Wars.
    I have never understood the appeal. The lastest in the series was just a pointless snore.

Gladiator is a total pile of ****e.

As if the emporer would fight him. Dumbass movie - it was good up untill Maximus took off his mask. Then roll on the two hours of political drama bullcrap. IT SUCKED BALLS.

I must say I LOVED the thin red line. Not really sure why. Went to see it on my own in the cinema, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Have bought it on dvd since and just love it.

2001 was a pile of sh1te aswell. Mad idea. Liked the apes stuff. Didnt like the spaceship stuff. Liked the totally tripped out stuff at the end (but not the HAL9000). There shouldve at least been some kind of explanation as to what the heck was going on at the end (with that foetus?)

Lost in translation was crap (why all the hype?)

I hate all bond films.

Saw american spelndour the other day too - totally rubbish. What was with the critics giving it awards and what not.

Thats all for now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement