Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My watercooling Kit...

Options
  • 05-07-2004 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

http://www.hitide.ie/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_22_37/products_id/181

Picking it up Ltr... My new kit reads as.

P4 2.8
    Dfi LanpartPro
    256mb x 2 Adata pc400ram
    Ati 9800pro
    Thermaltake Xaser III case
    Zalman 300w silent ps
    Philips 109s 19" Monitor
    Mx510 mouse w fUnc pad
    Mod Microsoft Keyboard
    2 x Maxtor diamond 9 80g in raid 0
    1 x " " 120g
    Philips Slot load dvd rom
    Samsung DvdRom/Cd burner

Have yet to set the lot up yet... re-flashed dfi bios should be back tomorrow/wed.

Will post pics tonight and info on how the WC performs.

Thanks to combatcow for the wc advice.

Ross

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

It's a nice kit, I started off with Innovatek too.

The biggest problem is the pump, but if you're going to stay at watercooling the CPU only you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Aye tiz a great kit..you wont be disappointed....what do you think is wrong with the pump netman,im using it with 2 rads the cpu and GF FX waterblock.:)

CombatCow

Well, I started off with Eheim 1048, which has twice the flow rate of 1046.

With innovatek you're getting 8mm fittings and tubing, which are restricting the flow rate.... Then you add more components to the system - graphics card block, or chipset block...

Then you notice that you've just spent 300 euro on a setup that's performing worse than a good air cooled setup.

Of course, the higher you go the better results you're going to get, but the goal should be a balanced setup. No need to overkill.

I've first replaced the 8mm fittings & tubing with 12mm. Instant gain with a very small cost. I'd recommend it to anyone who's using innovatek at the moment.

Then I replaced the 1048 pump with an eheim 1250 (twice the flow rate again) and a bigger reservoir. This was in anticipation of a major upgrade, and I got a good deal on 1250 so I can't complain. Pentium 4 at over 3 GHz and Radeon X800 XT produce a lot of heat.

The differences are definitely noticable.

I have friends who bought the Asetek Waterchill kit, which is pretty good, but when you pair it with a cpu, gpu and nb block, it starts performing worse than the aircooled setup you've just replaced.

Some people are happy with a bad watercooling setup simply because it's bringing a much lower level of noise. Others want at least the same performance as high-end air... Others again want better than air :)

Intresting about the change to 12mm,i might give it a go...some time in the future.I have read tho that an incrase in flow rate has little or no affect on temps because the water is flowing to fast to transfer the heat from the blocks back into the water.:dunno:

Im happy getting 34-36 idle on a barton 2800+ atm but i am switching to a 939 3800+ so im gonna build a big watertank out of uv reactive acrylic....with the idea of having a bigger tank = more water that will heat up slower.

Do you have you x800 watercooled :eek: Where did you get the block for it ??

Cheers,
    CC

** can u put pic of ur case in the mod gallery :D **

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

going to be doing this at a much later stage. Looks like a nice piece of kit, have fun!

• Advertisement

I'm still using innovatek gpu block... they're very innovative those innovatek guys :)

the block has 4 mounting holes, and you can replace the mounting piece with the wider version that's used by nvidia.. basically you can mount it on anything - radeon, geforce, chipset... pretty cool

they're also very low flow restriction. the water just washes over it, there are no grooves or channels on the gpu block. there's bound to be better performing blocks out there, but this helps with the flow rates.

www.overclockers.com have quite a history on waterblock testing, and have test results at different flow rates. interesting reading if you have the time..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Cheers for that info netman, I knew the pump isn't the best... 300 l/h compared to others at 1500l/h!!! Its my first set so i'm gonna spend a while getting it setup right n then i''l prob upgrade the res + fittings n pump. Just home now so I wont be getting stuck into it yet, off tomorrow n hopefully my DFI bios will arive so i can get started :-)

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Combat Cow you seriously going for an AMD 64 3800+ its so damn expensive. The retail version is around €750 fair thats €200 more than the 3500+ for only a 200mhz speed boast its even dearer than the FX 51. Granted you can knock off about €35 euro by buying an OEM. An OEM of the FX 53 is only €795 maybe slightly less. For about €80 extra I would go for it. Get better performance out of the memory and a fully working pci locked chip. Socket 939 seems so much more expensive. Although the performance boast from socket 754 is small I suppose it does have more of a future than 754.

Yer but then i will have to get ECC memory.:dunno:

I'll tell you what i was going to get..tell me wot u think:

CPU AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Sockel 939 Box

Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPRO DDR 1024MB Kit w/two matched

MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum Mainboard S939 nForce3 256GB,SATA,GbLAN,ATX,Dual-CH DDR

Edit ** o yea and a x800xt or 6800 Ultra **

:)
    CombatCow

Sorry for hijacking ur thread rosco

I think u should give me the money n I can get an X800 and spend the rest on women :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

If I was going the A64 route atm I'd get a 3000+ a fat hs and oc that sucker and save a hella lot a moola

Set up the kit, just running it in and testing for leaks.... Cant believe how quite it is!!! Cant here a thing... Gonna leave it for a few hrs n set up the uv lights n my case. Will post some picks ltr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Can't wait to see your pics :)
    Thinking about getting water cooling myself in the next few weeks

Oh yeah thats bumer man about the ecc stuff....although if you wait a month or two longer the FX 55 will appear which does not need ecc memory.

Personally with regards the AMD 64 the 3500 (939) the 3700(754) and he 3800(939) are insane money. At the moment for your paying around 350-400 more for a 3700 or 3800 to get a 200mhz clock increase over a 3400. The 3500 is also dearer than the 3400 and has only half the cache same clock speed. Granted you get dual channel memory with the 939 board and a higher hypertransports but performance gain is not huge. You can get really good overclocking boards from MSI Chaintech or Epox for socket 754 and if you intend water cooling you can easly get a 400mhz overclock stable on them with (300 on air). I don't think the new chips are worth the money. Only snag with socket 754 is not upgradable in future. Although it will run at least 2 semperon chips as well but the 3700 is last 64bit chip on it. Then again no sign of pci-x on those new 939's

Here is a list of AMD 64 desktop Cpu's and there sockets. Look up the price and tell me if you thinkg there worth it. The prices are rough esimates of OEM

Socket 754 1 memory channel.
    AMD 64 2800 1.8Ghz 512k L2 Cache €180
    AMD 64 3000 2.0Ghz 512k L2 Cache €200
    AMD 64 3200 2.0Ghz 1MB L2 Cache €300
    AMD 64 3400 2.2Ghz 1MB L2 Cache €400
    AMD 64 3700 2.4Ghz 1MB L2 Cache €700

Socket 940 2 memory channels
    AMD FX 51 2.2Ghz 1MB L2 Cache €720
    AMD FX 53 2.4Ghz 1MB L2 Cache €790

Socket 939 2 memory channels
    AMD 64 3500 2.2Ghz 512k L2 Cache €500
    AMD 64 3800 2.4Ghz 512k L2 Cache €750
    AMD FX 53 2.4Ghz 1MB L2 Cache €790

Memory wise I believe the best memory for socket 754 is the OCZ enhanced bandwidth. On the chaintech motherboard they clocked the pc 3700 466mhz to 550mhz. I assume it still be excellent on socket 939.

Graphics card wise the X800XT is faster on most older games and direct x9 games as well...the card to go for half life 2. While the Geforce 6800 is faster without af and aa enabled its got more head room to be overclock. It also suits open GL games better like Doom III. My preference is to ATI cards the X800XT in my view is better overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

The AMD64 mobile chips are also a good option and supported out of the box from some of the motherboards. With the AMD64 i think a big thing for overclocking is which stepping you get as AMD have refined and changed some of the thermal properties of the chips (or so ive heard) which is a help for overclocking.

The CG revision is hitting 2.5ghz with good Air (1mb cache version) while the CG 512kb cache is getting up to 2.6ghz in some cases on air. This isnt to be taken to be the norm but its not far off it, and with a little bit of experience overclocking shouldnt be much of a problem IMO. The C0 stepping isint as good an option.

All the DTR or Mobiles are the CG revision, as is the 3200+ (2.2ghz version) and i think the 2800+, while the 3000+ can be either as can be the 3400+.

[edit] Main problem is the mobiles dont seem to be available in europe :( , so i think the 3200+ 2.2ghz is the chip to get.........or mabye the 2800+ but low multiplier means you have to have very high HTT to make up for it.

You can get Mobile Athlon64's in the UK:
    http://www.savastore.com/products/product.asp?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10276452&pid=45&tid=3

They work on a lower voltage, and thus dissipate less heat.
    Not sure if they're unlocked as well, but mobile XP's were.

In any case, the idea is that you can either run them cool as-is, or up the voltage to the desktop chip's level, and get more MHz out of it.

218 quid for 3200+ isn't too bad..

Very nice spot. The only thing to watch is that some boards require a flash to be mobile compatable......... so you will have to have a desktop chip in the first place.

Think the MSI K8N neo is fine with them but worth looking up to be sure.

All AMD64's are un-locked downwards from there stock multiplier, the mobiles are the same.

£218 isint that bad either..... has to be weighed up against the €290 2.2ghz version on komplett.
    From what ive seen the Mobiles go to pretty much the same as the desktop's provided there the CG revision (mabye a little more). The extra cache is extimated to be worth ~150mhz .

Humm...im not really into overclocking and stuff tbh i just want a top spec/low noise pc at stock speeds.....i defo want to go with a 939 tho.The NEO2 should be quite good with it id say.Anyhoo it only costs 3 months of emergency tax....so thats pretty sweet :D

Still have to make my mind up about the gfx card...i still dont trust either company with their sly developer deals....

CombatCow

What the hell has this gotta do about my watercooling kit, this thread is all mine... ME ME ME ME ME!!! lol :D

im lost with all these new sockets to tell u the truth... socket A n 478 will do me fine(only cause i know what they r!)

lol, its pretty bad when the mod even goes off track........

Anyway everyones banned, that should put a stop to it :D .

• Advertisement

Test for leaks...

Point I was trying to make combat cow is with a decent motherboard a socket 754 chip say a 3400 or a 3200 will easily overclock (particularly if you water cool it) to levels of preformance of the 3800 and you save a bundle of money.

Anyway either way performance is good.
    Sorry for being the cause of the thread hi-jack unklerosco.
    Thankfully Col_Loki has not banned me yet :)

setup n running...

lights out...

Difference in running temp....

Intel HSF Idle 42c WC 35c

Intel HSF Load 61c WC ???? Running prime 95 along will autogk decoding a dvd.

Intel hsf was 61c while just decoding dvds

(these r from the msi mobo probs n r prob off but still indicate temp drop)

Damn thats a sweet looking system you got there. Where do you live and what time are you away from at it. I may need to break into your house and steel it...

Oh damn it you got one of those theft resistant thermaltake xaser III V1000A cases. I would need 10 extra people to help lift that out.

Difference in running temp....

Intel HSF Idle 42c WC 35c

Intel HSF Load 61c WC 42c!!!!

Just under 20c drop in temp.... Way more than i expected. Now i just want my DFI back so I can overclock the pants off of it...

Anyway either way performance is good.
    Sorry for being the cause of the thread hi-jack unklerosco.
    Thankfully Col_Loki has not banned me yet :)

Ehh ill do it 2moro or the next day ;) .
    Ive been known to go way off the point of the thread loads of times, had one that was talkin about sandpaper and ended up about watercooling or something....... oops.

Consider me a lazy mod at enforcing that.......(in fact ill prob add to the confusion).

Intel HSF Load 61c WC 42c!!!!

Very impressive, and if that HSF 61'C is taken for encoding you can add a couple of degrees when it comes to prime95 load.

Are you running the fans on full? Should overclock very very well !!

Thats with the fans on 7v... They say theres not much difference n running them at full, bout 1-2c. Im a happy camper:D :D:D

• Advertisement

If you find that too noisey you can run them at 5v either (or fan only connector on PSU mabye) ....... thats very nice and quiet, the pump is a little noisey when everything else is silenced.

I bet your a happy camper , no doubt you should be!!

Advertisement