Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloody Nintendo

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Either you're entirely missing the point, or you're trying to make me cry. Stop it!

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I like makeing people cry muhaha

Your right of course a 500 euro full pc system wouldnt be able to play xbox spec games now stop crying you big girl :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Originally posted by BLITZ_Molloy
    Less than 10% of console owners bother to hook their machine up to the internet. Contrast this with pretty much 100% of PC gamers.

I don't see online console gaming taking off for another 5+ years, if ever.

That comment will come back to haunt me? Hah.. this isn't the kind of thing that keeps me up at night. I was just expressing an opinion.

What I'm trying to say is almost 100% of PC users have an internet connection. It's about so much more than games. An unconnected PC is almost useless in this day and age.

I see this taking a very long time to catch on. If you take any mainstream PC game 100% of the players have online capability yet only 10% of them ever actually use it. And far, far less will end up playing regularly. Very few games can sustain good online communities.

Then you take consoles. Very few people are going to go out and string a phoneline out to their console. Especially when there's some cost involved.

XBox Live was a minor success but they didn't subsidise the **** out of it and gave away subscriptions. They advertised and promoted it an incredible amount too. But the market isn't ready. Microsoft are even admitting that by getting rid of the harddrive in the XBox2. It's a nice idea but it's very costly, and incredibly risky for developers.

The PC is generally a better platform for online stuff. Everybody has internet connections. There are communities that generate content. The games can be constantly changed and enhanced without having to release a sequel. And yet not that many PC developers are making money from pure online games. If that's the case on the PC then the console has a very long way to go.

5 years.. at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

pc multiplayer gaming is the best

computer ai sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by BLITZ_Molloy
    I see this taking a very long time to catch on. If you take any mainstream PC game 100% of the players have online capability yet only 10% of them ever actually use it. And far, far less will end up playing regularly. Very few games can sustain good online communities.

tell that to the guy who is 150000th on the project gotham racing 2 leaderboard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

That comment will come back to haunt me? Hah.. this isn't the kind of thing that keeps me up at night. I was just expressing an opinion.

As in, I don’t agree with what you’re saying, and I think the original comment I quoted is the type that will some day be quoted again. It’s not like I actually was thinking it would really haunt you, or keep you up all night.

It's about so much more than games.

Sony, and, to a more obvious extent, Microsoft agree with you (although they sometimes clam not to) .

An unconnected PC is almost useless in this day and age

No it’s not, just in gaming terms, there’s a wealth of brilliantly entertaining single player games.

Single player games must be dead?... oh, no, wait a second... you said only 10% of PC gamers use the online capability... so according to your stats the other 90 have almost useless PCs. :dunno:

I see this taking a very long time to catch on. If you take any mainstream PC game 100% of the players have online capability yet only 10% of them ever actually use it. And far, far less will end up playing regularly.

1) How many PC, PS2, Xbox, etc gamers are there?
    2) What's the crossover?
    3) When did 100% of PC players go online?
    4) Where do you get your stats from?

How long it'll take to catch on depends on a lot, but mostly if, or when, Sony pushes it right - or when, or if, MS fires more money at it. :)

Very few games can sustain good online communities.

If that is true, publishers love it, it means people move on to different or better games, in doing so buying more games.

XBox Live was a minor success

Xbox Live is not dead so, I’m thing you mean it is a minor success so far. In such a case, a lot of people said they would never get as far as they have, and MS have in no way finished.

The update to the most raved about Xbox game, Halo, will push Live further up the success ladder. Microsoft are promising a marketing campaign at a scale never seen before for a game... Live play will be somewhat a element of the campaign.

The games can be constantly changed and enhanced without having to release a sequel.

Early examples, as seen on Bill’s console - he has the t-shirt to prove it.

And yet not that many PC developers are making money from pure online games.

PC developers? I usually call them ‘game developers’, most of them (I hope) want to make good games.

To me saying a game maker is a ‘PC developer’ would be like saying the Pixies are now an iTunes band just because they have an exclusive piece of work with iTunes.

Or something similar if the main film studios or music (publishers) each owned different formats films or music is distributed on… actually in business terms that’s quite a good idea, I can just about imagine Sony releasing films and music from their labels or studios only on their hardware… maybe the PSP is the first step? …possible not.

-end of rants-

Advertisement