Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opera on 6600/02

Options
  • 05-07-2004 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

I used this thread to put in wap 2.0 settings. This worked.. was not for ages then i noticed another section not listed under access points.. GPRS which was set to meteor which i use for home (currently have work sim card in :D).

anyway i can connect via services but not using Opera for some reason. anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by Saruman
    I used this thread to put in wap 2.0 settings. This worked.. was not for ages then i noticed another section not listed under access points.. GPRS which was set to meteor which i use for home (currently have work sim card in :D).

anyway i can connect via services but not using Opera for some reason. anyone any ideas?

hi, Opera Browser works with an Internet (ISP) access point, the internal Services uses WAP...

sorry i'm a bit lost with the info you've provided so some backround on your set-up like post-pay/prepay and exactally which operator O2/Meteor you want to use it with would be great - then we can see if you can be set-up

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Its a Nokia 6600. I was trying to set it up for O2 like in that thread. Its a contract sim. I also use a meteor sim but im not using that one for internet as its Pre-pay and they dont offer the service for pre-pay as far as i know.

So right now i have it set up exactly as it is in that thread.

So is setting up an ISP AP completely different to WAP? I think thats what i need to set up then.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

create a new connection in access points, call it o2 internet or something.

Data Bearer : GPRS
    Access Point name: Internet
    Username: None
    Password None
    Prompt for Password : No
    Authentication: Normal
    Homepage: http://www.o2.ie

-->Advanced
    Phone Ip Address: Automatic
    Primary name server: 0.0.0.0
    Second name server: 0.0.0.0
    Proxy Serv. Address: None
    Proxy Port Number: 0

Connect using Opera, select o2 internet as your connection, should work for opera.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

No good taz :confused:

The error i get in opera is: http://www.o2.ie/ - could not connect to remote server

However in connection manager i am connected but no up or down KB transferred.

I'm on o2 contract and that works perfectly for me, but not for emails or instant messaging which is highly frustrating. Are you sure you're enabled properly for grps with o2?

• Advertisement

O2 set me up on two ISP access points for post-pay internet and open.internet so may be worth tyring the other and seeing what happens....

they did require you to enter this DNS addresses (although as people re-post the settings they are leaving them out so maybe the server is finally assigning) - worth a shot adding them manually instead:

shouldn't be necessary to enter a homepage into this (ISP) configuration - it is of more relevance to the WAP (Services) Browser and MMS settings

BrianG

Even using open.internet and the dns servers I still can't send emails :(

Originally posted by Tazzle
    I still can't send emails :(

just to check can you receive any?

BrianG

OKAY, I got my email working.

Instant messenger still a no no though :(

what IM client are you using?

and can I ask what you did to fix it the email (will help others who may have the same problem in the future and do a search for a solution :))...

BrianG

• Advertisement

Turned security off in the mail settings and/or changing the access point to open.internet and using the dns servers. Mail wouldnt send until I checked my email which is why I didn't initially notice that it had fixed the problem.

I'm using IM+ as my instant messenger.

the internet access point should work grand for most types of connection web, email and IM (at least it does for me) - the open one just allows incoming connections the user doesn't initiate (according to their support team)...

when sending a mail it goes to the Outbox, so you should be able to open the Outbox and select a mail to send it immediately - one thing to note if you have multiple accounts set-up you just need to be aware of which one is currently the 'default' mail account

personally find an app like Active Mail great for email management and handling...

have been using IM+ grand (with MSN) on a different Series 60 handset with O2 post-pay... does it give any (helpful) error messages?

BrianG

I'm at work, so now that I have my email working I emailed myself agile messenger, which is now away and running perfectly on the access point I set up for opera + email, perhaps the login procedure for IM+ has changed since the version I'm using was released. So I guess I'm somewhat of a happy camper now :)

Advertisement