Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on getting rid of Eircom for once and for all for internet and phone

• 05-07-2004 6:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am currently using Eircom for my Telephony needs. I was wondering though if I was to switch to IBB ~(Irish Broad Band) would it be possible to use ther internet service with a voip so I wouldnt have to pay line rental any more could one of you nice people point me in the right direction on this one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Hi, ever hear of a proggy called skype? it uses voip and its free to call other skype users, although to call a land line you must register but call charges are very low :)

http://www.skype.com/skype_p2pexplained.html

worth a try me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Comreg will allocate the 076 number range for inbound VOIP calls, this year I would say. IBB or any other WISP will be able to allocate a number to you then.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭GavinKeller

Here's a reply I got from www.voipirl.ie It might interest you

Michael,

Thanks for the enquiry.

You need to hang on to your eircom line, at least for the moment. ComReg (the communications regulator) has yet to issue blocks of telephone numbers for VoIP, so it is not yet possible for a conventional phone to call a VoIP phone, although the VoIP phone can call outwards to any phone. So you would need to retain your eircom line to receive calls. Even when VoIP numbers are issued, ComReg will not allow you to transfer your existing number over to your VoIP number. They do not want to intermix geographic numbers (like your landline number) and non-geographic numbers (which your VoIP number would be).

ComReg expect to issue numbers within a month or so and, in the meantime, you can still save a lot of money on outbound calls and get a second phone without having to pay a second lot of line rental by going down the VoIP road.

Regards
    Bernard Kernan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭GavinKeller

Forgot to say that I got that email on the 14/06/04 so fingers crossed that it will be out soon then we can get rid of eircom for good :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by GavinKeller
    Forgot to say that I got that email on the 14/06/04 so fingers crossed that it will be out soon then we can get rid of eircom for good :ninja:

No numbers will be issued during the consultation which ends at the END of July.

Then Comreg has to formulate a policy from these responses.....not in August they wont....september maybe.

Then Eircom has to strike an agreeable ingress rate for these numbers, I expect that to drag on into October at least.

I would say that the allocation of 076 numbers is Possible This Year ...... but no more. Be a nice Christmas present :D

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I also took the decision recently to get eircom out of my life.

I am waiting for IBB to install my Ripwave connection (Phase 1).

Then when VOIP Ireland or IBB start assigning inbound numbers I will mail my disconnection request along with a stool sample to eircom (Phase 2).

I was having second thoughts when eircom started that summer surf cráp, but then I realised they are just going to sign up all these people for free and then give them crap service.

This has since been confirmed as some of my mates are 1 -> 1.5 months into their 3 months free and have yet to be connected.

Eircom are lower than Al Qaeda in my opinion and have been taking advantage for too long. I would much rather deal with a reputable company like NTR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by ballooba
    II am waiting for IBB to install my Ripwave connection (Phase 1).

Then when VOIP Ireland or IBB start assigning inbound numbers I will mail my disconnection request along with a stool sample to eircom (Phase 2).
    Unless the new 3.5GHz Ripwave gear is significantly different from the existing 2.4GHz gear. you won't be doing VoIP with Ripwave - the latency on the Ripwave connection just isn't good enough.

Latency on the line-of-sight gear (requires a fixed antenna on the roof) is well within the acceptable limits for VoIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Originally posted by Ripwave
    the latency on the Ripwave connection just isn't good enough[/B]

I thought anything under 100ms would be good enough. Is that not right? What would be really bad for it is erratic pings, and packet loss. Those two are the killers i would think.

Anyway, i dragged this post up for more than just that. I'm thinking of going for the whole skype thing too. Despite the fact there is little to no difference in normal calls to irish numbers, i'd save over EUR20 a month from the phone line if i did switch.

If i go with skype, and cancel my phoneline, can i still take incoming calls on the line? Or is it completely cut off? And is that documented anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    If i go with skype, and cancel my phoneline, can i still take incoming calls on the line? Or is it completely cut off? And is that documented anywhere.

You can't (yet) recieve incoming calls with skype. It's unlikely skype will ever allow you to have an irish number people can call you on.

Comreg issued a consultation document about a month ago on voip in ireland, recommending the 076 (iirc) range for voip services. Don't expect any movement until the consultation and subsequent stuff is all done, in november or december of this year. It'll probably be at least another few months on top of that before ordinary people can get them after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I only use my home phone for Internet The way I see it with the money I save on line rental will easily pay for making a few extra calls on my mobile. I'm saying byebye to eircom as soon as IBB is installed. Worry about VoIP later. I never thought I'd see the day this would happen.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Moriarty
    Comreg issued a consultation document about a month ago on voip in ireland, recommending the 076 (iirc) range for voip services.
    And guess how much it'll cost to call an 076 number from an ordinary landline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

no, i meant if i stop renting the line from eircom, can i still recieve calls on that same line? or is it cut off completely.

I know i won't be able to make calls on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by Ripwave
    And guess how much it'll cost to call an 076 number from an ordinary landline?

Heh. I presume that comreg have power to set some sort of pricing area carriers (or maybe even just eircom) have to stay within for area codes and prefixes, but I guess nothing can be reasonably assumed with them :)

Odds are the OLO's would quickly push down the pricing in any case, there's fairly good competition in call rates.
    Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    no, i meant if i stop renting the line from eircom, can i still recieve calls on that same line? or is it cut off completely.

I know i won't be able to make calls on it.

No you won't be able to. You can still make 999/112 calls from a cancelled line (and calls to eircom sales, natch :/), but I think that's it.

Advertisement