Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Hamilton quoting Maggie Thatcher

Options
2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Originally posted by 10000maniacs
    When the supporter ran on to the pitch during the Euro 2004 final,
    George Hamilton, wearing his Orange Order hat, said
    "He should not be given the oxygen of Publicity" and acknowledged
    Maggie Thatcher for the original quote.

I heard him utter those words. i hadn't heard their original context but spoken in his partician accent I found them offensive.. I also found it offensive that he said he hoped the security forces gave the invader "what for". These struck me as over the top and not quite RTE - seemed like I was watching SKY or some such channel...then again I find George Hamilton to be a pain in the neck so most of what he says annoys me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    I find it offensive that you value the lives of some people more than others.
    I value the lives of innocent civilians more than the lives of murderous terrorist vermin from the IRA/UDA/UVF/INLA. I would prefer that these scumbags weren't killed at any stage (just put in a dark hole for life), but I should no tears if their own actions lead to their own deaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

Hamilton talks a lot of guff, in fact there is a website inspired by him and the other football commentators (www.dangerhere.com). I heard the comment and thought his hopes that the security guards gave him "what for" was wrong. However his usage of a famous quote was used in the spirit of the moment. It was annoying having some idiot run onto the pitch near the end of the final.

These people run onto the pitch, and at various events to make a point. This is not a good way to make a point and its true that if they were not seen on telly and people didnt know they were there, they would not gain they publicity that they are trying to get in such a cheap manner. Hamiltons remark captured the truth, I feel.

And to be honest, the referenced quote from Hitler, about it being lucky for leaders that men do not think, is very very true. It is a good quote that can be easily applied to the governments in this country, the UK, US and many other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Maggie Thatcher

"He should not be given the oxygen of Publicity" and acknowledged
    Maggie Thatcher for the original quote.

For all those who hate maggie thatcher, visit http://www.maggiethatcher.com

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If ye were true republicans surely you wouldn't be following the Republic of Ireland soccer team seeing as the republicans don't recognise this country as a legal entity?

And why would ye be watching a "british" game anyway?

Face it lads, ye'll whinge about anything, whilst your boys kneecap anyone who disagrees.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement