Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

merijn.org resolves to 127.0.0.1?

Options
  • 05-07-2004 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been trying to download the latest version of CWShredder (hijack-ware removal tool) from merijn.org.

The website wasn't opening up, so I pinged it and...
    Pinging [url]www.merijn.org[/url] [127.0.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Why is it pinging 127.0.0.1? I remember something about Windows having a "hosts" file which is like a local DNS or something, but I can't find it?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

in win95/98 c:\windows
    in nt/2k/xp \windows\system32\drivers\etc

hosts has NO EXTENSION - right click and open in notepad.

depending on the OS you use - probably better off restarting after you change it

127.0.0.1 is the local machine - one way of blocking a site is to point to the local machine

might malware be re directing it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Something must be redirecting it, but it's not the HOSTS file, theres just one entry in it:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Can somebody else try to ping www.merijn.org? What IP comes up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

getting same results using linux
    :/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yep, resolving to 127.0.0.1 for me as well.
    You can get a copy of cwshredder here though: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4086.html

Its about 2 weeks old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

Something must be redirecting it, but it's not the HOSTS file, theres just one entry in it:
    No. No redirection. Nothing to do with Hosts. It is actually set up that merijn.org directs to 127.0.0.1 on the DNS servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I read somewhere that there is a whole host of gangs that target anti-spyware sites for DDOS attacks, could this be a symptom?

The majorgeeks link works by the way, and its the most up to date version. Got mine last night.

Oh, and Spybot is on v1.3, but I didn't find that out untilI downloaded the newest version from the PC World website because my online update for v1.2 was returning "no new updates" all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Funny you should say that, spywareinfo.com is timing out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Read about it at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/29/cws_shredder/

The link was posted in the boards Security forum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Advertisement
Advertisement