Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boot Up BSOD

Options
  • 05-07-2004 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,220 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, hope you can help me with this one. I downloaded thestardock bootskin app there the other day and was satisfied with being able to change my bootscreen and that kinda thing for when windows xp loaded up. However when i tried to create my own, things went a little pair shaped. Rather ironically i had modelled the bootscreen on a blue screen of death with various "witty" remarks of errors and having to install linux and stuff (i thought they were funny, but they most probably aren't). Anyways... when i went to reboot i was glad to see a blue screen of death screen appear before me, untill i realised, 'Hey... that's not the error i typed out'. And isn't it ironic... don't ya think... a little too ironic... bladie blah blah blahdie. Anyways yeah i tried a repair install but that didn't work, soon as i get to the splash screen i just get the bsod. Tried safe mode too, but again same bsod. I put a clean install of windows on another partition in an effort to repair the other install but it didnt work. I tried copying over the problem file to the borked install but it didnt work. Short of installing windows from scratch, you guys know of any way that i can repair the install? Thanks. A picture of the bsod is attatched, if it is of any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,220 ✭✭✭MrVestek

*in fifth element voice* pleeeeaaaseee... hellluuuup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Have a look here Achilles*

*NOT help for the BSOD :)

Lol damn you, and here i was thinking there was a solution. Pm box emptied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Can you start in safe mode?

if so just disbale the boot screen by googling how.

Then uninstall the program and delete your own load screen.
    kdjac

I said (i think, cus i had to repost) that i cant start in safemode. I get the list of what's loading up, then it just hands on /system/drivers/mup.sys, the text goes dark kinda and then nothing happens. I replaced all these files with fresh files from a fresh install but that didn't help.

• Advertisement

Mup.sys is video settings so its not your boot screen. Can you boot with last known good config?

Or Step by Step if so when it asks to load Mup say no.

kdjac

Yeah but did u see the error in the bluescreen pic? Are they related? Answer to both is no and no by the way. I dont think i ever remember seeing step by step in the F8 menu tho.

Any chance you have another video card lying about?

Did you check Bios to see if caching and shadowing is on (dunno how it would have enabled itself) but worth a look.

The errors says your video card is buggered somewhere with drivers ,useing only star dock i cant see how it did that. But maybe it changed something and windows will refuse to boot until its changed.

kdjac

Hrm i dunno. I dont see how i can disable the drivers without a working os. I aint got a clue how to do it in recovery console either. I'll check around the bios tho and see what's what.

Cant find anything on shadowing in the bios, so i dunno. But in the bluescreen it says something about bootvid.dll and that only comes up when it tries to load mup.sys, so it has something to do with the bootscreen methinks, but then again i cant be 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

STOP 7E 0x00000005

A clean install on another drive ..
    Just to be clear - did the copy of XP on the other partition boot at all ???

you could use MAXMEM in BOOT.INI to rule out some RAM problems - but if the message is consistant then probably not that.

Set BIOS back to factory defaults - turn all the speeds down till you get it up and running (ah memories of telling people to physically removing the cache to get OS/2 installed on some 486's)

BTW: if the other install of XP works 100% then your reg. could be a bit fubar ..

The other install of XP works 100% yes, and yes idid set the bios back to factory settings just for pig iron but to no effect. I'll edit boot.ini with that string as you sugested. where would i put it tho? at the end of partition(1) and that kinda stuff? also, would it be formatted like this? "Maxmem".

(I still seriously think it has something to do with the bootup splashscreen because of the whole BOOTVID.DLL error in the bsod, then again i dunno.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ok if the other XP works 100% then it's either corrupt files or corrupt settings including registry. It's unlikely to be hardware - so maxmem (google) and HW settings won't make it go away.

the files should be ok - if you've reinstalled

the settings (many are reinherited after a reinstall) may be ok after - safe mode / reinstall etc. haven't sorted out - so it's on to...

The (brad pitt) heal of windows is the registry - if you don't have a backup or can't restore to a previous system state - game over - think of it as a copy protection mechanism and you'll realise just how unforgiving and fragile the reg is.

Hope I'm wrong

Advertisement