Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drugs in Cycling - your views

Options
  • 05-07-2004 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

some of you may appreciate this: http://www.siglamag.com/features/angels.shtml

what i would appreciate are yoru views. does your knowledge of drug abuse, from the inception of the sport in the c19th through to today, impact on your enjoyment of cycling as a spectator sport? do you think there are too many drugs or do you think riders should be allowed take what they like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

As long as sport is big business, you can't stop these guys and gals from earning a living.

If Bill Gates was on EPO or roids or speed, would the other CEOs get him banned and call him a cheat.

As long as it's professional, you can't stop someone earning a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

when i was a student many years ago(late eighties) used to train in a gym where members of the local the amateur rugby team trained (now a proffessional club)used to sit in the changing rooms watching the big guys injecting steriods i believe its alot more common than you think. also whats a drug creatine boosts some people s performance do you ban it has it got anything to do with sudden massive heart failures in young athletes. about ten years several young cyclists in europe died from alleged epo use.

the other thing is have you been over any of the climbs in the tour even in a car? they are seriously vicious can't see how anyone can race over 3 of these in one day at the speed they do without taking something be it legal or illegal drugs

i personally don't like drugs in sport just can't see what the answer is allowance of everything isn't cos the guys would kill themselves pretty quickly in an attempt to win
    don't honestly beleive anyone in cycling hasn't taken something, what was lance armstrong treated with for cancer i beleive there are exceptions if you have serious illness but when you are recovering does this give you an advantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

In Armstrongs case specifically - any treatment he received and drugs he used to save his life. If they had the effect of strengthening him he still would have been weaker then before the cancer.

Advertisement