Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

internet explorer or not

Options
  • 05-07-2004 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Am thinking of changing to mozilla. what are the pros and cons.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

No cons ,all pros.

Cant think of a bad thing to say about Firefox.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

aye ,i switched to firefox there a while ago,havent looked back since,IE sucks imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

I've been using Firefox for a good while now and find it much better than IE.

Also, there was an article on the back page of the indo today which might prompt you to change.Here(requires log-in)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've never looked back after using Mozilla Firefox.

There might be the (very) occasional website that will only display correctly in Internet Explorer but that's rare, and sure Internet Explorer will still be on your system should you need it (if only someone would find a way of getting rid of it).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Even the official MS webzine recommends Firefox over IE!!

http://slate.msn.com/id/2103152/

W)oT :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I must get this firefox, hearing good things....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

<rant>emm...being pedantic, but MSN is a separate corporate entity from Microsoft Corp...
    Articles published on MSN don't necessarily represent Microsoft Corporation's opinion...
    </rant>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

I 6th Firefox! Very nice, clean interface, doesn't have the clunky-integrated-with-everything feel of IE. Plus it has tabs. And no Active X. And it's 4.7MB in size to download!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

I have to agree, tabbed browsing is the way forward...I use Avant Browser most of the time and it's great...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

i agree,firefox pisses on ie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Reminder folks - Firefox is still beta - hasn't even reachec 1.0 yet.
    Where as IE is a mature product from the worlds largest SW company and has been installed on 90% of computers since 1995.

No contest really - unless you need to connect to sites that have a M$ backend.

Have a look in the security forum - roughly half of all "windows" patches are for IE components.

Even if you decide to go IE, I'd still recomend you get another browser so you can download patches for IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

1) You can use tabs, instead of opening a new window
    2) Loads pages much faster, much more stable, doesnt crash at all
    3)You can get several plugins (eg: dictionary plugin, you just highlight the word and it right click it to get the meaning of it)
    4)You can diable pop ups etc

Just get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Welcome to the world of Mozilla! :) ww)
    You'll never look back...

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Opera is better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Opera is better!

is it free?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Free as in speach and Free as in beer and Fairly Free from holes and at less than 5MB it not to expensive for those on dial up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Firefox - secks

going home in the evening and getting to use Firefox after a day of using ie is like a breath of fresh air:)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Yeah, I like opera too. Handy to be able to use the same browser on w2k and linux, although the same could be said for mozilla.

The thing that really gets me though is the mouse gestures. Once you get used to them you'll find it difficult to use other browsers like IE.

My only pet peeve: you can't check your email at www.vodafone.ie using opera for some reason. I really have to email them about that.

But either way, you can't go wrong with opera or firefox, they're both great browsers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Free as in speach and Free as in beer and Fairly Free from holes and at less than 5MB it not to expensive for those on dial up

When did they release the source?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by ColmOT [MSFT]
    I have to agree, tabbed browsing is the way forward...I use Avant Browser most of the time and it's great...

me two, Avant is better than firefox imo. Its very easy to disable activeX, java applets, scripts, flash animations, plus it blocks pop ups... plus tabs, plus every website is displayed correctly :D and its only 980KBs

• Advertisement

Originally posted by hostyle
    When did they release the source?

Mozilla source can be downloaded easily
    http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/ - licences
    mozilla source is available at http://www.mozilla.org/source.html

http://lxr.mozilla.org/ - view source online

a quick search on "firefox" seems to find some of the modules too.. http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/find?string=firefox

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Originally posted by tman
    Firefox - secks

going home in the evening and getting to use Firefox after a day of using ie is like a breath of fresh air:)

I assume you cant install firefox on whatever PC you are using during the day, but it can be run from a USB memory stick, without having to install anything locally.

This means you can have the latest Firefox & Thunderbird with all your favorite extensions on a small memory stick and use them on any computer you happen to be using...

Originally posted by fragile
    I assume you cant install firefox on whatever PC you are using during the day, but it can be run from a USB memory stick, without having to install anything locally.

This means you can have the latest Firefox & Thunderbird with all your favorite extensions on a small memory stick and use them on any computer you happen to be using...
    nope :(
    the admins here have blocked everything bar the office suite and internet explorer.
    i can't even use my shortcut to explorer, i have to open 'my computer' instead:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I have both firefox & netscape 7.1. Both are gr8, but if I want to download I use netscape because it lauches d/l accelerator. Firefox has it's own d/l manager but it doesn't resume d/l's.

Originally posted by AntiRip
    I have both firefox & netscape 7.1. Both are gr8, but if I want to download I use netscape because it lauches d/l accelerator. Firefox has it's own d/l manager but it doesn't resume d/l's.
    http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions - about a page down there are the Download Tools

DownloadWith
    by Gustavo A. Bittencourt
    Version: 0.0.7
    File Size: 18 KB
    Updated: 2004-04-19

Download files with external programs like wget, prozilla, Downloader for X, Flashget, Download Accelerator Plus and GetRight.
    http://downloads.mozdev.org/downloadwith/downloadwith-0.0.7.xpi

http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions - about a page down there are the Download Tools

DownloadWith
    by Gustavo A. Bittencourt
    Version: 0.0.7
    File Size: 18 KB
    Updated: 2004-04-19

Download files with external programs like wget, prozilla, Downloader for X, Flashget, Download Accelerator Plus and GetRight.

I downloaded the extensions but it just gave me the option of getright which i don't have.

Originally posted by AntiRip
    I downloaded the extensions but it just gave me the option of getright which i don't have.
    Maybe check out it's homepage / FAQ / post on the Fire[NAME] forums / or contact Gustavo A. Bittencourt after you have tried the fother options exhaustively.

Remember FF hasn't made it to Version 1.0 yet so there will be some rough edges.

\o/
    will be installing that later;
    right clicking and choosing "copy link" so that you could download a file with getright is the only quibble i've had with firefox.

Also, downloading the google toolbar makes it unstable. Firefox keep shutting down. Installed it again & it's working fine now.

Thanks Capt'n Midnight for info.
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

I second Opera, been using it for years now. It used to be a bit flaky but the newer versions are extremely stable, I haven't seen it crash in months and even if it does it stores its state so you can just resume easily...

Advertisement