Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

internet explorer or not

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Switched to firefox about a month ago and I'm not switching back once you get used to tabbed browsing its the business, never crashes no problems with web sites and the extensions download thing is the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ando

do u guys using tabs with firefox and opera find boards.ie to be very slow when opening up new tabs? avant, well my avant browser hangs for about 5 seconds on each window that i open, just wondering if its the same for anyone else. it only happens on boards.ie btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by ando
    do u guys using tabs with firefox and opera find boards.ie to be very slow when opening up new tabs? avant, well my avant browser hangs for about 5 seconds on each window that i open, just wondering if its the same for anyone else. it only happens on boards.ie btw

Its probably the javascript menus - try turning off javascript and see if it makes a difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Using firefox for about 2 weeks. Won't be using IE anymore. Piece of pi....

@ ando,
    Don't seem to have that problem using tabs and boards. Are you using the latest version?

ambrose :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I must say its very refreshing to see almost a whole thread promoting Mozilla/Firefox etc (Opera's good to),

But then again I suppose there's not much a person who uses IE can be happy about these last few days/weeks

I use firefox at work and at home :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Love Firefox, only one thing with it slightly pisses me off! ;) If I select to open a file, it will open the download manager and show it downloading there, grand so far (lol ;)), but if I close the Firefox browser, yet leave the download manager open it will continue downloading then open the file (usually a zip) which will have nothing in it! :dunno:
    Admittedly all I had to do was stop closing the main browser window, but sometimes I just do it by mistake!

(And I don't have a large HDD, hence the not saving of alot of stuff in its zipped state).

Either way, another thumbs up for Firefox. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

see sig :)

ie is a complete car crash.

only thing is as firefox/mozilla gets more popular, the script kiddies will turn their attention to attacking it; fingers crossed its got some solid code behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Originally posted by dangerman

only thing is as firefox/mozilla gets more popular, the script kiddies will turn their attention to attacking it; fingers crossed its got some solid code behind it.

Yeah, but it still has the advantage in having a more dedicated open source community behind it to quickly fix the errors, which would immediatly be available on the nightly CVS builds, rather than wait 6 months for MS with the next patch or service pack...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Also the fixes tend to be a wee bit smaller..
    Some IE fixes/service packs/addon's are more than 5MB.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Also the new update feature in Firefox should also help people keep ontop of any security holes that should be unearthed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

the security flaws have become too bad to be ignored in IE,, forgeting about security for a sec, I find firefox has some really nice features like tabed windows and it is nice and fast.

Also note XP Sp2 has been delayed AGAIN which has some IE fixes, it seems MS are more interested in finishing XP 64 then fixing stuff we actually payed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

MS should take a leaf out of Apples book and base the next IE Release on SAFARI (similar to mozilla). even IE for mac is a far better browser then the shyte they pawn off on windows users. Down with MS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gazz66

using mozilla for over a week now and it is streets better than IE. ta for the advice.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Mozilla source can be downloaded easily
    http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/ - licences
    mozilla source is available at http://www.mozilla.org/source.html

http://lxr.mozilla.org/ - view source online

a quick search on "firefox" seems to find some of the modules too.. http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/find?string=firefox

Ahem. I was referring to Opera. Seem to have got my threads confused. Someone said "Opera was better". Someone replied "is it free?" You responded "free as in speech, free as in beer" and I assumed you were referring to the Opera question. You obviously weren't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

threads confused - happens :D

http://www.opera.com/buy/
    Buy Opera 7 for Windows

* Surf ad free. When you pay and register Opera, the ad banner disappears.
    * Access to support. Receive e-mail responses quickly that answer your browser questions.
    * Opera Web Mail. Get your own Premium Web Mail account for 6 months with 25 MB of storage -- for free

Price: USD 39

so it's a commercial product, the current version of which is usable for now as Adware - the license could change anytime - but since they want to build market share that's unlikely. AdAware/spybot killers may invalicate your license if you block the sponsored a[ds.

threads confused - happens :D

http://www.opera.com/buy/
    Buy Opera 7 for Windows

This is of course (in a few) better for Mozilla as it'll help it get more of the market share, I wounder will Opera ever launch a fully free browser?

Opera selling its browser reminds me of when Netscape did it and they had to change to a free version because of MS.

Netscape 7.2 is due out this summer
    http://slashdot.org/articles/04/05/28/0232220.shtml
    I'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

RIP Internet Explorer
    Mozill Firefox is king long live the king

Netscape 7.2 is due out this summer
    http://slashdot.org/articles/04/05/28/0232220.shtml
    I'm not holding my breath.

Scary eh?

AOL should either get there act together and embrace Mozilla and produce Mozilla with the AOL logo or they should kill off Netscape

Instead they slap Netscape in the face a make a Netscape IE Toolbar - http://channels.netscape.com/ns/search/install.jsp

And also waste time making this heap of crap, Netscape Desktop Navigator - http://navigator.netscape.com/

I used to be a massive fan of Netscape and I found it a sad day when Netscape 6.0 rolled out like a bloated slug, it (for the most part) ruined Netscape and lost alot of fans.
    Thankfully Mozilla has got the fans back along with many more but none the less its very disappointing.

I only wish AOL produced a Windows Gecko client like they did for MacOSX it would have changed the playing field with IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

WTF? Netscape 6 and everything since is based on Mozilla. They just added lots of bloat. That how they make their money apparently. AOL pay the Mozilla Foundation lots of money after all ...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by hostyle
    WTF? Netscape 6 and everything since is based on Mozilla. They just added lots of bloat. That how they make their money apparently. AOL pay the Mozilla Foundation lots of money after all ...

sigh,
    I am well aware that netscape 6 was mozilla code, but as mozilla said itself, AOL should have waited longer as mozilla did'ent consider then code fit for release as netscape but none the less AOL did it anyway thus screwing the netscape name in the process.

With all the complaints about adverts and bloat in 6.0 AOL quickly release another build and another to address the issues but it was to late the damage was done.

I believe Netscape 6 was based on pre 1.x Mozilla code, not to sure of the verson exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by Cabaal
    I believe Netscape 6 was based on pre 1.x Mozilla code, not to sure of the verson exactly.

roughly mozilla 0.6 - linky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I'm quite fond of firefox now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by Cabaal
    sigh,
    I am well aware that netscape 6 was mozilla code, but as mozilla said itself, AOL should have waited longer as mozilla did'ent consider then code fit for release as netscape but none the less AOL did it anyway thus screwing the netscape name in the process.

<snip> but it was to late the damage was done.
    Absolutely. I was itching to find a replacement to Netscape 4.8 and was glad to hear of Netscape 6. Downloaded it and cursed it from the moment it asked for activation (it looked nice tho) - like everyone else I was appalled at the whole thing and lost all respect for Netscape.

On hearing of Mozilla 1, I jumped and have never looked back! :)

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

NOT, mozilla firefox is excellent

Advertisement