Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with esat BT broadband

• 05-07-2004 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭

The problem is that my dsl connection keeps resetting every so often. Every 5 or so minutes and it takes a while to get the connection back. Say if I was downloading a 2 or 3mb file, the connection would just go at some stage during the download.

I am using the ZyXEL 623R-T1 ADSL Modem/Router which came with the service. I am using the ethernet connection. I am experiencing the problems with both win xp and red hat 9, so its not an operating system issue.

Has anyone experienced similar problems or know what is the cause of this problem ?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

iolbb or esat dsl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sk177les

You may have already tried this..
    If you're using any p2p software (kazaa, imesh, limewire etc.), try turning off file sharing. I had a similar problem with my netgear router for months - it turned out the router's upload memory was being overloaded, which would cause the connection to reset. All i had to do was stop sharing files.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭jlynch

Its Iol BB.

I havnt used any file sharing apps yet. It happens when Im just surfing the web.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I noticed this too on monday night.

I'd have to reboot and restart the modem, it would log on and work fine for about 5 minutes or so and then the connection would be lost I assumed it was a problem with the iolbb connection in my area.

I haven't checked it since so don't know if it is resolved yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

I had the same problem.

Have you got your DNS settings entered correctly? My problem was that I had no entries for the DNS servers.

• Advertisement

Arent the dns entries retrieved automatically via DHCP ?

In my case the following entries are made in /etc/resolv.conf
    ; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
    nameserver 192.111.39.1
    nameserver 192.111.39.4

turned out the problem was with the eircom line. They fixed it and its being working perfectly since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

same prob here nly noone reesponds to my threads lookin for help:(

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭brian_ire

dogz, if your having the same problem this might help.

Where exactly do you have your DSL splitter. It should be at the first entry phone point in your house (usually beside your front door) If you have the splitter anywhere else then the line will drop every few mins, this happened to me and as soon as i moved the splitter everything was grand.

hope that might help

brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

its at the first point thats in use theres one before the splitter but its more being used as a junction box. its been file until monday for me too and ive been connected since january with no real problems. I know what ur sayin the lines in my house are wired arseways heres a bit of a diagram each point is numbered so u can say where u think the dsl splitter should go. Thanks;)

crappy diagram pic

lets know where u think the splitter should go thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement