Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarantula Suppliers

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just one more bit of advice.If youre getting a Pinktoe you`ll need the heat up high in the cage.Heat mats are useless in this case.A 15w pygmy bulb with a metal shield around it would do a better job.

As for the food.When I had only one spider I used to feed it on Locusts.You only get 5-7 in a pack and that will last 4-5 weeks once you keep them fed.They dont smell at all and especially with a Pinktoe its great to watch them chase the locusts around the cage.

Oh btw dont try to hand feed a Pinktoe--I still have the bite marks from my attempt to handfeed one that wasnt eating :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Just one more bit of advice.If youre getting a Pinktoe you`ll need the heat up high in the cage.Heat mats are useless in this case.A 15w pygmy bulb with a metal shield around it would do a better job.

As for the food.When I had only one spider I used to feed it on Locusts.You only get 5-7 in a pack and that will last 4-5 weeks once you keep them fed.They dont smell at all and especially with a Pinktoe its great to watch them chase the locusts around the cage.

Oh btw dont try to hand feed a Pinktoe--I still have the bite marks from my attempt to handfeed one that wasnt eating :D:D

What about if you wall mount the heat mat at the back of the tank?

Also I want to see pics of the bite marks!

I plan to get some more 8 legged friends - mind you my folks want a bird eating spider! Not sure I am ready for a spider that big or aggressive!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

FAYESY wrote: »
    What about if you wall mount the heat mat at the back of the tank?

I could never get the heat right with the mat taped to the side.
    Also I want to see pics of the bite marks!

Quite faded now but Ill try get a decent pic for you.
    I plan to get some more 8 legged friends - mind you my folks want a bird eating spider! Not sure I am ready for a spider that big or aggressive!

Do you mean a T Blondi?Id love one but wouldnt have one in the house with the kids.Too many things can go wrong there with a spider that big and aggressive.

For the OP--Heres a link to a care sheet for a Pinktoe I wrote 6 years ago.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=825135&postcount=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sars26

So you reckon I should just get the bulb and not a heat mat?

I think i would prefer getting a box of 5 or 6 locusts rather then a large box of crickets. Im terrified they'll escape all over the house. YUCK!!!

What was it like to get bitten? Does it really feel like a bee sting? I would also like to see photos!!

Thanks for all the help everyone.

The care sheet was also very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Yeah richie a T-Blondi!! SCARY! Think I would go more with a red knee, pink toe, & maybe a babbon!

• Advertisement

Sars26 wrote: »
    So you reckon I should just get the bulb and not a heat mat?

Id go with the bulb but others would disagree--Its just that Ive had more success with bulbs than heat mats.
    I think i would prefer getting a box of 5 or 6 locusts rather then a large box of crickets. Im terrified they'll escape all over the house. YUCK!!!
    Yep I dropped a box of the noisy ones in the house one time and could hear them chirping for months from under everything.
    What was it like to get bitten? Does it really feel like a bee sting? I would also like to see photos!!
    I didnt even feel it until I noticed the blood--then I sceamed an felt the pain and it was more like a wasp sting :) (typical man really)

It was a single fang that got me.I was holding a cricket with a long tweezers up into its webbing and next the thing ran down the tweezers and caught me on the finger.There was a small blister on it that I burst the next day and thats what left a small round scar.Been trying to take a pic of it but its too faded.

FAYESY wrote: »
    Yeah richie a T-Blondi!! SCARY! Think I would go more with a red knee, pink toe, & maybe a babbon!

I want either a Pink Zebra Beaty (Eupalaestrus Campestratus)
    http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/E-campestratus.html

Or a Metallica Pinktoe (Avicularia Metallica)
    http://www.bighairyspiders.com/metallica.shtml

Preferably the Metallic though.The colouration on them is just amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae

Maybe just a personal thing but I never use a bulb with a tarantula.

Most people keep their spiders in warm enough rooms so extra heat sometimes is not necessary, but with the likes of the pink toe, bit of extra heat is good. Make sure to mist every other day and that there's good ventilation.

I'm only just setting up my heat mats for winter now for my arachnids.

RaeRae wrote: »
    Maybe just a personal thing but I never use a bulb with a tarantula.

Most people keep their spiders in warm enough rooms so extra heat sometimes is not necessary, but with the likes of the pink toe, bit of extra heat is good. Make sure to mist every other day and that there's good ventilation.

I'm only just setting up my heat mats for winter now for my arachnids.

Good point assuming youre keeping them in a warm enough house.I kept mine in a garage that wasnt attached to the main house and it got below 0c in the winter.Heat mats only raise the ambient temperatures of "objects" in the cage by 5-7 degrees which still wasnt hitting the right temps for a Tarantula at night in my case anyway so I switched to low wattage 15w red bulbs and the T`s were much more active.

Theres an easy test you can do with a heat mat on the side of a cage to see how warm its getting.Put a stone in the cage and put your hands either side of it (kinda cup it) and you`ll feel that only the stone gets warm and not the air in the cage--its the same with the tarantula.The heat mat heats the T itself but not the air.
    A bulb will raise the air temps aswell as heating the spider itself which (only in my opinion but Ive had a lot of success with this method) is better overall for the T`s wellbeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kartoonhead

please help little pink toe died this morning he had not eaten for a while
    i thought he was going into molt and was told this was normal i am a first
    time beginner keeper and would like to get another pink toe ,and may be talk to someone who does know about them as i got no help from pet shop where i purchased it especially about habitat

• Advertisement
Advertisement