Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat Advantage Plus with Free Internet?

Options
  • 05-07-2004 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hi..

Thinking about moving to Esat Advantage plus. If i do join does that mean i can use the Eircom free(or any other free internet provider) for free since i pay a flat fee for local calls. I'm betting the answer is no but i said i'd ask anyway.

Are there any hidden costs btw that i should look out for with Esat Advantage plus.

Thanks Brian.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Your guess is correct Brian. Cals to 1890/1892 etc aren't local calls and hence can't be availed of for free with this. I doubt you'll find an ISP with a redular STD prefix these days. If you do, it doesn't matter where in the country it is as Esat have all of Ireland as a local call remember but I rather doubt you'll find one.

I'm not with Esat any more but if there's one "hidden" (it's not really hidden, they tell you about it, you just have to remember) cost, the calls are only free if they're under an hour in duration. Tick tock, don't forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

Originally posted by sceptre
    I doubt you'll find an ISP with a redular STD prefix these days.

Yes you can I know that indigo still have there local pop's
    If you do, it doesn't matter where in the country it is as Esat have all of Ireland as a local call remember but I rather doubt you'll find one.
    No this will not work as the calls come up as data calls the 1 hour free calls apply to voice only.

I found this out when i changed to Esat I was waiting for 10 or so days to get my BB connection and so i used a local number for an ISP at it was charged.
    I took it easy on the net so it did not cost me that much.

Eóin

Ah, thanks for the correction & a half Eoin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

thanks for the replies lads... well that advantage package ain't as good as i thought, still prob worth it though..

cheers

Ah, thanks for the correction & a half Eoin.

Your welcome Sceptre

Sorry it was short and unsweet but I was busy in work that day and just wanted to make sure that qBot had the right info.

Thanks,
    Eóin

/me must not post short sharp replies.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by eoinm1
    Sorry it was short and unsweet
    Hell no - and it was an actual thanks:)

(I reserve the head shaking for replies that start with "Incorrect" and go on to produce pages of horsepoo. Like you, I'd rather qBot had the right info)

Hell no - and it was an actual thanks:)

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Glad to be of help.

Eóin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Just to let you know that ntl have an 01 number for their dialup - or at least thats the number I have been dialing up with.

Brendan

cheers bp... but it's a 061 or an 066 number i'd be looking for... however if eoinm is right it doesn't make much of a difference anyway as ill have to pay seperately for the internet

No this will not work as the calls come up as data calls the 1 hour free calls apply to voice only.

I don't think this is correct for a number of reasons:

1. Anecdotal: We recently switched from NTL (who disconnected us every two hours) to ESATs package which allows flat rate phone anywhere in Ireland. We weren't informed when the line switched over, we were using the internet connection in two hour segments over the weekend. We were only charged for every second hour.

2. Invasion of privacy. If they could tell the difference between a voice call and a data call, this would surely mean they were listening to your line.

3. Although we have broadband, we must ocassionally dialup to NTL as our website is hosted there, and their server only allows ftp if you dial in directly. This is done at no cost to ourselves.

• Advertisement

well if that's the case then the Esat package is perfect for me... has anyone got any 066 preferably 06671 numbers (Tralee area) for accessing dialup internet

Originally posted by qBot
    well if that's the case then the Esat package is perfect for me... has anyone got any 066 preferably 06671 numbers (Tralee area) for accessing dialup internet

It can be a number anywhere in Ireland with that package. All of Ireland (26 counties anyway) is treated as a local call.

that's true alright, but if u get a number close to where u live u generally have a better connection.

Originally posted by bp_me
    I don't think this is correct for a number of reasons:

1. Anecdotal: We recently switched from NTL (who disconnected us every two hours) to ESATs package which allows flat rate phone anywhere in Ireland. We weren't informed when the line switched over, we were using the internet connection in two hour segments over the weekend. We were only charged for every second hour.
    http://www.esatbt.com/ie/residential/homephone/advantage_plus_tc.html

"All other call types (e.g. calls to directory enquiries, premium rate services, telenumbers, other non-geographic numbers, mobiles calls, international calls) together with data calls (e.g. fax and Internet) will be charged at the appropriate Esat BT rates as specified in the Esat BT Home Phone and Internet Pricing Guide."

2. Invasion of privacy. If they could tell the difference between a voice call and a data call, this would surely mean they were listening to your line.

No the billing system EsatBT use, can tell the differance between the call types.

3. Although we have broadband, we must ocassionally dialup to NTL as our website is hosted there, and their server only allows ftp if you dial in directly. This is done at no cost to ourselves.

I can't understand that one.

Hope that helps,
    Eoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

Have a look at

www.elivefree.net

Local POPs for nearly all of Ireland.

I've been using one of these numbers for ages & works well with no problems.

Thanks for the responses lads... im going to try and persuade the family to move over and sure if i get free internet like bp said i would.... great, if not sure ill persuade them to invest in a broadband connection :D

bp_me wrote:

I got swapped over to Esat two weeks ago so i'm going to change my internet provider. Can u give me the details of your connection. Are u still getting it for free.

Advertisement