Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need some rec for cleaning products

Options
  • 05-07-2004 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has found any particular produt range for de-taring and polishing better than the rest, is it worth investing in an electric polisher?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

3M is the bomb. Really expensive though. The finishing stuff i use is around 35 euro per litre. Fills in scratches, compounds it and leaves it with a brilliant shine. It really cuts through all the dirt and grime and **** that builds up on the paint. Peg on a few layers of turtle wax after. Have used different types of tar remover but never found them any good. A couple of valeting places told me that kerosene (used very sparingly on a rag) is the best tar remover. The tar lorries that tar the roads use it to clean the lorry after a days work. You need to give the car a very good washing afterwards with real warm water to get rid of the smear and smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I've found WD40 is a very good tar remover. Spray some on a rag and rub the bodywork. The car should be pretty clean before you do this and will need another wash afterwards to remove any oily grime.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Best tar remover = Rag & Petrol. And don't believe all this lark about 'petrol will ruin your paint' because it wont. Just make sure you wash it down with warm soapy water afterwards. Its cheap and effortless and brilliant at removing tar...it just completely dissolves it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks for the advice lads will try them out, Cerberus is it any particular 3M product?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

I think the stuff i use is called FinesseIt Finishing Material...not sure though...will check the bottle when I go home and let you know. It's a combined Compounding and Polishing agent. I'd say any good car store will know what you're on about when you mention it. If they don't have it then don't take some other "great Stuff" that they offer you. Try someplace else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Without doubt the best tar remover(and everything else except the paint) is "panel wipe". Used to clean vehicles before application of signs. Ask Signmaker of Painter. This stuff is so good, it's scary.
    regards
    ap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Cheers Ap will check it out;)

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

I used petrol too, tar comes off with no effort. I'd also advise washing the car straight away and waxing it. If you do use petrol the fumes can be powerful so use some sort of breathing apparathus.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Over the weekend I tried WD40 to remove the Tar on my car I thought i only had a few spots but once i got close their where thousands of them.

It worked pretty well but it needed a lot of elbow grease some of the tar came of pretty easy I'm assuming this was fresh as i have been driving on a few roads that have just been resurfaced, but the older stuff was very hard to get off and soem of it little tiny specks just would not come off, so i think ill be using soem petrol next chance i get to try it out.

Also on a side note, I got F1 Carnuba Wax polish( the only carnuba wax i could find in the store) in a tin with applicator, for about 10 euro and it is a very nice wax really brought up a nice shine to the car and silky feeling to the panels, plus when it rained typically jsut after spending hours cleaning the car, the rain just flowed right off the car, and the rest just beaded, and was easily wiped off leaving the car still like it was just polished.

Advertisement