Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Em, and this is connected how exactly?!?!

• 06-07-2004 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Any and all immediate help would be appreciated (I'll be ringing eircom tomorrow, but the sooner the better)

Now i'm fairly sure i havent lost the plot altogether, but I got my eircom broadband today in the post; I opted for the wireless modem. This is where the problems arise

The modem looks fine, as do all those new leads, but, well, what exactly am i supposed to do with my netopia cardbus card?!?!?! Now i thinks this is to be connected to some sort of laptop, but i dont see how this would help me connect my desktop! The connection "instructions" provide the oh so detailed "connect card to pc", which really doesnt help :(

Am i after getting the wrong piece of equipment, or am i missing something utterly obvious?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

What's the exact model of the wireless router/modem?

It sounds like you were provided with a PCMCIA wireless card - you'll have to buy a special PCI adapter, that will sit in the back of your computer, and let you simply slot the PCMCIA card into it as if it were a laptop bay.

Frankly, I'm surprised Eircom didn't supply you with a PCI version of the card instead.

OK, I'm not surprised, but they still should've :)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Originally posted by zoro
    What's the exact model of the wireless router/modem?

It sounds like you were provided with a PCMCIA wireless card - you'll have to buy a special PCI adapter, that will sit in the back of your computer, and let you simply slot the PCMCIA card into it as if it were a laptop bay.

Frankly, I'm surprised Eircom didn't supply you with a PCI version of the card instead.

OK, I'm not surprised, but they still should've :)

Stick it in the floppy drive? :dunno:

:p Hee hee hee..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Stick it in the floppy drive?
    Looks like someone needs a blow up doll to fulfill their *cough* requirements */cough*

:p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

How did you intend to connect with your desktop, it would be the norm for wireless modems to ship with PCM/CIA cards.

http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=5350&type=6&sid=724085x0
    That'll sort you out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

we still dont know what exactly eircom sent him?

A friend of mine got this eircom wireless broadband installed, the actual DSL isnt hooked up yet (thats why she called looking for help), but they'd sent her a wireless DSL router, and a wireless adaptor which she'd hooked up ok (she was able to connect to the modem).

Long story short, there's no way this girl would've even tried to put in a PCI card, they even have an external CD-R drive because they didnt want to open the case.

Anyways, what I'm saying is, theres a good chance its a USB wireless adaptor eircom supplied.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Did you order the wireless router option?

The should be an antenna somwhere on it.....

you should have an RJ-11 port on the back (telephone socket) there should also be an RJ-45 port on the back of it to take a network cable to a wired pc.....

Do you have that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭tea

Originally posted by Raptor

Am i after getting the wrong piece of equipment, or am i missing something utterly obvious?

Probably... You need a USB adapter for a desktop PC. Maybe they'll swap it for you (especially if they just sent the wrong thing in the first place...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Raptor

Thanks for all the replies, and yes the answer was obvious; the cardbus card is slimline card for a laptop, and the usb adapter was supposed to be sent

After a few phone calls, I've been told to mail back the card to eircom, and the usb adapter has been ordered.

On a side note tho, during the call, i was informed that even tho i had the wrong equipment, "i had a few days yet"........................they informed that my connection was not to be made active for about another week! So my free broadband summer starts in the middle/end of july :(

Ah well, sorted now, and should be up and running in a week :)

Advertisement