Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home network with Eircom BB?

Options
  • 06-07-2004 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I wasn't sure if I should post this in Nets/Comms or Broadband, but here goes...

I've set up eircom broadband through a switch with two machines connected to it at the moment. On initial setup, I have BB on both machines. However, I wanted to share some folders from one machine to the other aswell as sharing a printer. So made both of these machines part of the same workgroup and gave them static IPs (and same subnet mask) so they could ping/see each other. The problem is, as soon as I specify the static IP, the BB stops working. I'm not sure if what I'm doing is entirely possible, any help would be great. Perhaps there are some Gateway/WINS/DNS settings I should use???

Other info:
    Both machines are running Win 2000 Pro
    Both have Norton Internet Security installed (which I've tried disabling, but doesn't make a difference)
    The BB modem is a Cayman Netopia

Cheers,

DC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

you cant have a static IP

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

So does that mean I can't share files/printers on the two machines and have BB?

Cheers,

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Before you set the static addresses on your PCs, were they getting addresses from the Netopia via DHCP? IF so, the static addresses are not necessary - if you have the workgroup configured correctly, sharing will work fine with dynamic addresses.

It sounds as if the static addresses that you have set up are not in same subnet as the Netopia. If you particularly want to use static addresses, check the IP address of the Netopia first, set the new addresses accordingly, and disable DHCP on the Netopia.

Well I think the machines were getting IPs via DHCP from the Netopia box....when I do an ipconfig on both machines, I get 192.168.3.1 on machine 1 and 192.168.3.2 on machine 2 (is there another way of check if it these IPs are provided by the Netopia box?)

Also, I have added both machines to the same workgroup. However, with the above config (i.e. with no static IP addresses), I could not ping/see one machine from the other. (I may have had NIS enabled for this though, I will try it later on with NIS disabled as this would probably have blocked the pings)

So, tomk, I with the above IPs given by the Netopia box, I should be able to share files/printers then?

Thanks!

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Originally posted by dcGT
    is there another way of check if it these IPs are provided by the Netopia box?
    Settings->Network and Dial-up Connections->Local Area Connection->Properties->Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) ->Properties

Make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected.

Also, I have added both machines to the same workgroup. However, with the above config (i.e. with no static IP addresses), I could not ping/see one machine from the other.

Can't explain this. IP addressing and workgroup are related but separate - IP enables connections over the network, workgroup enables file sharing on MS gear. I am sending this from an MS box with dynamic address, with access to shared resources all over the network. You should definitely disable NIS while you're setting this up, though - once you're up and running, you can worry about that.

So, tomk, I with the above IPs given by the Netopia box, I should be able to share files/printers then?

As I said above. What's the IP address of the Netopia?

• Advertisement

I'm not at the machine with the Netopia box at the moment, but I'll find out about the IP address later.

I'll check the set up again later and see how it goes.
    Thanks for all the info tomk....I appriciate it!

DC.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by tomk
    Settings->Network and Dial-up Connections->Local Area Connection->Properties->Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) ->Properties

Make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected.
    ipconfig /all will also tell you whether it's a DHCP-assigned address or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

To get on BB with static addresses you'll want to set the gateway and DNS server IP address to that of the Netopia (mine came with the address 192.168.1.254) and obviously put the PCs in the same IP scheme (eg. IP addresses of 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0 & 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0).
    I've had a lot of problems like this with an identical setup to yours, though my machines are XP. One problem was ZoneAlarm was blocking ICMP packets etc.; adding the other PC's and the Netopia's IP address to the Trusted group stopped this, I'd try this in Norton... Also make sure there's no Windows firewalling on the LAN connections just in case this causes problems...

However as somebody said you definitely don't need to have static addresses to make file sharing work, I'm using DHCP and can see all the other PCs in Network Neighbourhood or whatever XP calls it :p .

Ok, I set both machines to DHCP, and disabled NIS on both, then it worked perfect :rolleyes: So then I configured home networking in NIS.... waited a few minutes, and all was working as I wanted :D

Thanks for all the help lads,

DC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

just for anyone else setting this up

there is no need to set ip's on the network manualy the router will asign the same ip each time to the same pc
    i think it remembers the mac address or something

all u have to do is put the pc's in the same work group and file and printer sharing will work

• Advertisement
Advertisement