Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First overclock

Options
  • 06-07-2004 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭

My first overclocking attempt on the following

Case- LianLi PC60 custom made Hitman window :)
    MoBo- Asus P4P800
    Cpu - P4 2.8- 800fsb
    Ram- Ozc PC4000 Gold Dual Channel kit 2x256Mb
    Gfx Card- Sappire 9800Pro- Artic cooling VGA cooler
    Hdd's- SATA 120Gigs Hitachi drives 2x
    Hdd- IDE Samsung spin point 80 Gig 8mb cache
    Heatsink- standard intel heatsink/fan - waiting on my Thermalright SLK947U to arrive.
    Monitor- Sony Trinitron 19" CRT
    Keyboard/Mouse- Logitech Mx wireless optical.
    CDRW- standard
    DVDRW- standard

Managed to pump out P4 2.8Ghz @ 3644 :)
    But it crashed after 1 hour- have to get rid of that standard intel heatsink/fan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

Nice work :)

Not far of the fabled 1 ghz overclock.

What kinda timings have you got on the ram?

What are you using to stress your cpu?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I would actually wait till you get your heatsink, I had a 2.4@3.06 on a standard heatsink and i now have it running stable @3.2 with Zalman, I can get it to 3.4 but only for about 2-3 min before it crashes, im very happy to have it running @3.2 prime95 stable.

Theres no point stressing it untill it can be cooled properly

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Nicely picked hardware and a very nice result......... it will prob be stable at just under 3.5ghz.

What voltage are you using? 1.7v and over is not advised for P4's......
    Definetly get a new heatsink and you'll be very happy with the results from the looks of things.

Ohh and definetly use prime95 for stability checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Originally posted by Beat Freak
    What kinda timings have you got on the ram?
    4-4-7 very slack
    Definetly get a new heatsink and you'll be very happy with the results from the looks of things.
    Your right just need to hold on for a few more days till the heatsink arrives :)
    What voltage are you using? 1.7v and over is not advised for P4's......
    I'm at work at the mo- will check this later and post nearly sure it was tiping just over 1.62v need to check it.
    Ohh and definetly use prime95 for stability checks
    Have it all set up just waiting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

1.62v isint that bad, will be fine on a decent cooler!!

Timings are pretty slack but worry about that when you get your CPU sorted out and stable. Let us know how you get on anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Finally got my heatsink on friday and i have been overclocking it all weekend-
    got a Zalman 7000CU

Managed to get it up to 3710 probally could push it a bit harder- that was at 14x265@ 1.65V ran stable for about 20 minutes then crashed.

But i have it running stable at 3477 ran prime 95 for 12 hours everything seemed fine might up it another bit and run prime again.

That Zalman heatsink i have to say very impressed with it :) need to check mem timings now ;)

Advertisement