Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Drink Sales Down

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Ripwave wrote:
    There was a spokesperson for the publicans on the radio yesterday, saying that, if the Minister for Finance dropped 20c off the tax, they publicans would drop another 30c off their cut, bring the price down by 50c.

He said that in a country pub, a pint sells for €3.50 - €1.40 for the Government, 70c for the brewery, and €1.40 for the publican.

1. They will not drop the prices at the same time because then they would effectively admit to being a pricing cartel. If they (asynchronously of course) dropped the price in the country pubs to €3.20 then the government should drop the excise tax by €0.20 (its more if VAT is factored in) and thereby reduce the price below €3 which is exactly what it cost me on the night before the Euro came in.

2. Dublin was always 2p more than the country in the early 80s and 10p more than the country in the early 90s , now its €1 more. The Dublin publicans have a different trade body who have not offered anybody anything yet. I think they should move first, then the country pubs and finally the government in the budget . The price of the pint should be the same at all times ........ non negotiable.

Off with ye lads.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

It's not just Dublin you get gouged in anymore. I was in Tullamore over the weekend, I went into Loughrey's for lunch. I had steak & chips and a pint of Guiness; it cost €18!

The food was nothing special, was poorly presented and served in and off-hand, inattentive and sloppy manner. Yet the price for this privilege was 18 euro. I'm still in shock. No wonder the tourist trade is dying on it's arse.

Yet the pubs down there were packed to the rafters over the weekend. There was a festival on but I was told that they weren't much busier then they are most weekends. It's a while since I've been in pubs that full, the pubs in Dublin are noticably emptier lately. Is this because there's nothing else to do in Offaly? (as in "Q. How do you know you've been too long in Offaly? A. You're still there") :D

Advertisement