Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Web Content Filters

• 06-07-2004 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to impliment web filtering on my network. I'm evaluating Websence, Webmarshal and SurfControl. Anyone got any other ideas?

(Win 2000 AD enviroment)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Build a caching server/firewall for your network out of an old pentium box.
    Linux/squid caching server/IPTables/Dansguardian Web Filter

Cheap and it works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭malico

Ahh. Not my money!

Went with Webmarshal and a Whitelist in the end. Ahh the joy!

Only about 6000 for the whole setup!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by gerryk
    Build a caching server/firewall for your network out of an old pentium box.
    Linux/squid caching server/IPTables/Dansguardian Web Filter

Cheap and it works
    http://www.squidguard.org/ too..
    Black lists http://ftp.teledanmark.no/pub/www/proxy/squidGuard/contrib/

Whitelist
    el cheapo way - where was that post about Setting up IE zones ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

You paid 6 grand for Web filtering?
    I assume you work in marketing.

PT Barnum was right.

No. IT Network Admin. Again, companys money and its good, scalabe security that can be implimintated on a per user basis on a AD server enviroment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

i agree with malico...i do same job and why bother ,making life difficult for urself....buy a trusted solution (that works and is supported)....who bleeding cares about the companies money ....they are making enough of it anyway....and in the end u will get no thanks for saving them a few pennies

Exactly dwayneburke. I think its a difference here between Real World IT and your own home network. Designing, scaling and implimenting a multiple server, multiple farm network for 500 users is a little different to say, (like my home network) 5 users and 1 server (excluding firewall hardware)

The line "It's company money, so I don't care about the cost" is a worrying attitude to take.

If your company has 6 grand to spend on software that can be replaced by something that costs alot less, well and good.

My job is to provide cost effective solutions to IS issues for my company.

The attitude you display is that your job is to provide solutions, sod the cost.

I have found that bosses don't appreciate this kind of attitude. People who pay your wages, expect you to deliver best "bang for buck" on your work.

Good, scalable solutions for your particular requirement are available for fractions of the cost you paid. GMIT uses Squid, and it has thousands of users.

I have web filtering working (same implementation) on my home LAN, as I do in some of the corporate locations I support, with 200+ users. I'd be more than happy to share my experience with anyone who asks.

I would say, in this case that the cost should have been in the region of 2K, with an timeframe of 1 working day setup. Ballpark stuff without knowing specifics. Most of the cost would be in a new high spec PC which would do the actual filtering.

The company needs a compatibale solution, that I have sourced and purchased. Total setup time, 1 hour of my time.

PS: Barnum never did say it. Actually, it was said by his competitor

A) I don't appreciate that attitude when i ask other IT people for their opinion. Professional courtesy and the like.

B) Check your facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

Also

"cost effective solutions to IS issues" doesnt mean the best solution all the time!!!!

• Advertisement

You get what you pay for. Pay peanuts, get monkeys. (insert other financial quote here)

I withdraw every remark I've made on this matter.

Looking at the website in your sig tells me reams.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by malico
    The company needs a compatibale solution, that I have sourced and purchased. Total setup time, 1 hour of my time.
    I'm probably reading this the wrong way - but if your company will spend €6,000 so you don't have to waste more than an hour on setup - where do I sign ? :D

Re: Web content filters being different for 1 user vs. 500 users - really only if there are multiple profiles - one option is to setup two classes of users - the plebs who go out through the filtered connection and for the others who also normally go through the filter have an option to use a proxy server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

OMG! Someone didn't use free software! OMG! OMG!

Thread locked.

(LOL. PLD.)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement