Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reds return for Rio

• 06-07-2004 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭

Looks like the September Liverpool match against Man Utd could have an extra attractton:

"Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand looks set to make his long-awaited return from an eight-month suspension in time for the visit of Liverpool in September.

The £30m England star, who was banned from football for failing to take a drugs test at Uniteds' Carrington training ground last September, will be available for the Old Trafford clash following Skys' decision to switch the game forward two days to September 20th. "

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Hopefully he will return with the form he was showing in the lead up to the start of his ban ... wishful thinking I'd say on my part :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It always surprises me why Man U fans are so critical of Ferdinand. OK, so United probably paid three times over the odds for him, but that's Kenyon's fault not Ferdinand's. All you have to do is look at the way their defence fell apart after his ban to see that he's more than a decent player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Originally posted by super_furry
    It always surprises me why Man U fans are so critical of Ferdinand. OK, so United probably paid three times over the odds for him, but that's Kenyon's fault not Ferdinand's. All you have to do is look at the way their defence fell apart after his ban to see that he's more than a decent player.

I'm not being critical of Ferdinand ... IMO he's a great defender, but he's prone to lapses in concentration ... but I doubt anyone can dispute the increase in form he had in the run up to his suspension!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I doubt Fergie will throw him into such an important match without any match practice for 8 months. He should play a few reserve matches to get back to match fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I cant see Rio playing in the liverpool game. Fergie will know he hasnt played for 8 months and will want him to play a few reserve games first. I thought Rio had a bad season when he first arrived at United but it would be hard for anyone to move to you biggest rivals with a £30million price tag, then Rio started playing his best football for United last season.......right before he got banned. Before he got banned United had the best defence in the Premiership and i cant wait for him to return.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

he'll come on as a sub when we are 3 - 0 up against the pool :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

and I suppose he'll score as well!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I doubt he'll carry his pre-ban form with him when he returns. I mean, he won't be on drugs any more....

*runs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by woosaysdan
    he'll come on as a sub when we are 3 - 0 up against the pool :)

There would be nothing wrong with that comment if Gerard Houlier was still in charge , fourtunately for Liverpool he is not .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Sky did the same for Erics comeback after his kung fu ban.

He played the whole game and scored the penalty to make it 2-2 with a few minutes left.

All the other teams will have played 6 or 7 games by then so all the players will be at a certain fitness level and used to playing at the high pace while Rio will have to catch up. Probably be given a run as sub.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by super_furry
    I think most United fans were a bit pissed off at him trying so hard to get a few months off so that he could play at Euro 2004 and not the tail end of United's season.

Advertisement