Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with new PC build.

Options
  • 06-07-2004 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi.
    Just built myself as new PC using:
    Sonnata Case
    Intel P4 3.0ghz Prescott
    Abit IC7-max 3 board
    Zalman CNPS7000A-Alcu ultra-quiet Cpu
    512 Adata PC4000 DDR
    The rest from my old Dell 8200

I had planed on a quite PC -but the Max 3 board is the noisiest thing ever. I have a number of issues which I hope you guys could advise me on
    1. What temp should the CPU be at – currently its around 45c to 47c
    2. When I put it into standby mode the Fans keeping running. My old Dell
    used to shut down complete. So how to I get the fans to shut down.
    3. Can I safely disable the OTES fans on the MAX 3 board?
    4. Can I replace the NB fan with a heat sink? Is it straightforward?
    5. I am thinking of putting back the stock cpu fan as the Zalman is very noise

Any advice much appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

The Zalman shouldnt be noisey at all, there are 2 different settings normal and silent.

The fact that you have a prescott chip means higher temps and a need for good cooling. The Dells are normally very quiet and skimp on cooling, its hard to get your system quieter unless you pick everything perfectly.

The IC7 Max3 is one of the best overclocking boards arround, its ment for high FSB and due to the OTES it helps deal with the prescott better than most other boards (mosfets etc).

A northwood core would have been a much better option in your case, and a motherboard with a passivly cooled NB. Have a look at the fan on the IC7 and see it its held on with wierd clips , or has a 2 hole model.........

The Stock heatsink fan will be louder and a much worse option than the Zalman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭statto

Thanks Col_Loki

Should gone with a different board but every one I asked all said the Max 3 was the best - just didnt think it would be this loud. The NB fan is held in with a wire clip in the shape of Z. Will leave the OTES alone. Is 45C - 47C an ok temp for the cpu? Any idea about how it shut the fans down in standby mode?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

The IC7 Max3 is one of the best boards out there no doubt about it, just not for someone who is looking for silence. Its more with a high overclock in mind.

The NB fan will be a problem as the standard NB replacements come with the 2 little pin type things. Have yet to see one that will replace the Z shape clip. There is an option of thermal adhiesve but its very hard to remove should you need to at a later date.

45-47'C is pretty high at stock, but as its a prescott thats not out of the ordinary. Try running prime95 and see what temps it gets up to (ie load temps)?

Try putting your PC down on the ground beside or under your desk and run the cables up, will help alot with the noise when compared with being beside your head.

Im not sure with the standby thing, i never use it so its not an issue with me. Why not leave it on ?

[edit] Generally people building there own PC's dont care how noisey the PC is as its not a factor, i have a screamer of a PC first time round and i didnt care. You could prob easily swap the board and chip for a northwood and passivly cooled board ? Would reduce noise a big ammount as the sonata shouldnt add anything to the mix (provided the fan is connected to the "fan only" connector so it runs @5v most of the time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭statto

Thanks for the help. looks like i'll just have to get used to the noise.

Cheers

Advertisement