Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWF... Entertainment or $h|te?

• 20-05-2001 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

As per topic... post your opinion...

WWF - Entertainment or festering pile of putrid monkey $hit ?

I'm just curious.

Bard
    Never go off on tangents, which are lines that intersect a curve at only one point and were discovered by Euclid, who lived in the 6th century, which was an era dominated by the Goths, who lived in what we now know as Poland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

To misquote Granpa Simpson, ' A lot from column A, and alot from column B'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

It depends on my mood.
    Sometimes its proof that America's mass 'culture' (and the rest of the globe's willingness to embrace it) cannot scrape the bottom of any more barrels.

Sometimes its funny when they hit people with chairs like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'll admit I've watched it. To an extent, it is entertaining.... certainly not enough to get up early on a saturday morning or to pay £30 a month, but it is mildly entertaining.

Obviously its completely far-fetched, coreographed and oh-so-american, but you have to bear in mind its target audience is 12 year old boys (a bit sad seeing as I know people my age watch it religously).

It does lend itself well to video games though, I've had great fun playing of them (the Acclaim one if i remember) with 3 mates - not quite mario kart, but it sure is fun.

Fear can sometimes be a useful emotion. For instance, let's say you're an astronaught on the moon and you fear that your partner has been turned into Dracula. The next time he goes out for the moon pieces, wham! You just slam the door behind him and blast off. He might call you on the radio and say he's not Dracula, but you just say, "Think again, bat man."
    hello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Bloody Drunkard

Ask me a year ago and i would have said it was the greatest show on earth

Now it seems a bunch of men in underwear groping each other
    (and before u say it I do not like men in underwear)

But you gotta like LITA

Lets get back to basics Niall, the ball is round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 grill-me-a-haddock

it's good. u gotta get into it. oh and btw, i bet u bard likes it and this thread is a pathetic attempt of his to find other dim-witted individuals above the age of 13 who like it aswell so as he wont look quite so sad.

well ur not on ur own m8!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by grill-me-a-haddock:
    oh and btw, i bet u bard likes it and this thread is a pathetic attempt of his to find other dim-witted individuals above the age of 13 who like it aswell so as he wont look quite so sad.

well ur not on ur own m8!!
    </font>

Erm... I wouldn't class myself as a "fan" as such- I find it occasionally entertaining, and while I do watch it the odd time, I usually wouldn't bother with it at all.

Then again, I don't generally bother with television itself much at all.

The thread was just out of pure curiosity as to how popular it is and what type of people it's popular with.

Bard
    Never go off on tangents, which are lines that intersect a curve at only one point and were discovered by Euclid, who lived in the 6th century, which was an era dominated by the Goths, who lived in what we now know as Poland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Vialli

WWF is l33t..the games are just as good too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I am so tempted to move this to the After Hours board as that WWF sh!t is not sport, no way!

I remember Sty News had a bit about American (who else) teenagers having Yard Fights based on the WWF fights except they really did hit each other with Bins, Chairs, sticks etc. Makes you laugh until you realise the size of the nuclear stockpile of weapons they have.

Back to the topic...WWF = a big pile of sh!te !

Gandalf.

[This message has been edited by gandalf (edited 20-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

i look at it cuz you get to see Trish Stratus in skimpy outfits...excellent.
    oh baby

or
    same pic

[This message has been edited by chernobyl (edited 20-05-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I admit to watching WWF but I usually turn it off when The Rock, Austin, Undertaker, Big Show etc come on.

Every time there is a wrestling thred on this board I always say don't judge pro wrestling by the WWF. The WWF is pants if you comapre it to what ECW used to do.

I know this is irelivent for the moment as Vince Mc Mahon efectively owns the industry after purchasing WCW and ECW closing. WWF does have potential though. It has signed most of the top talent from ECW Rob Van Dam being the only big name let out due to previous disagreements with the WWF. Paul Heyman (former ECW owner and the man who made the company work so well for so long) is working on the creative side of things for the WWF as well as doing colour commentary. His influences are slowly making there way through the fed and the fact the Rhyno and Jerry Lynn both hold titles straight after coming out of ECW says alot.

So in reply to the topic WWF is ****e. As long as Austin or Rock hold a title in that fed it's always going to be ****e. Bring back ECW!

• Advertisement

If Wrestling is to be moved to after hours because it is not a sport.So should Golf Snooker Darts ! It is more of a sport then the 3 of those put together.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dre as in Dray:
    If Wrestling is to be moved to after hours because it is not a sport.So should Golf Snooker Darts ! It is more of a sport then the 3 of those put together.</font>

But technically the WWF isn't "wrestling" in the true sense of the word. They themselves call it "sports entertainment" which is still even giving it a bit too much credit, sports-wise. Sports don't have scripts wink.gif After Hours may in fact be the most appropriate place for it.

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? - a Triumph! - 'And yea verily did Moses strike down the ammmanites, - and all the land did hear the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Right thats it moving to After Hours I've made up my mind WWF is not Sport !!!

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:
    i look at it cuz you get to see Trish Stratus in skimpy outfits...excellent.
    oh baby

or
    same pic

Ugh....she looks like a man

[This message has been edited by chernobyl (edited 20-05-2001).]
    </font>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /s/trish-stratus/c-000301-im-003328.jpg on this server. she is bet.

Apache/1.3.14 Ben-SSL/1.41 Server at www.altocelebs.com Port 80

nuts

[This message has been edited by Neil3030 (edited 21-05-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,501 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It is probably one level below American Football - now how many times do they actually kick the 'foot'ball?

Just a big pile of (noisy) smelly stuff.

Changing call sign to SIERRA PAPA OSCAR OSCAR FOXTROT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I'd be inclined to say $hit myself. I've watched it a few times myself but I couldn't stomach any more than a few minutes of it. Whats going on in the ring itself isn't the worst part, hell it's probably watchable, but listening to the commentators and watching the crowd going mad for it is a little disturbing tbh, it's grown adults prancing about over-acting and pretending to hit each other.........

Now that I've tried above, I just can't put my finger on why I find it so annoying, it's starting to get to me now smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

WWF, soap opera for boys.

-Son of Blam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Im quite inclined to close this topic....thats how crap I think it is, but I cant do that....

It is not a fairytail. It is truth

www.scifi-meshes.com

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Tis a grand wee thing to watch - entertaining seeing the commentators try an justify the way someone clearly didn't hit someone else - there was one instance where Shane McMahon jumped off a bit of the set (and he was a fair heigth up) and was supposed to land on Big Show and missed him by about 6 - 10 inches (landed beside him). The announcers pretend as if he'd landed straight on top of the guy - it was insane!

Still - Lita...

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    We were all set for a game of Ice Hockey when Frank Williams says "Sorry lads, I've forgotten my skates!"
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Victor:
    It is probably one level below American Football - now how many times do they actually kick the 'foot'ball?</font>

once every time a team has possesion, either on 4th down or after a field goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

WWF is $HITE
    remeber when WWF meant somthing?
    with hulk hogan and the uuuulllltimate warrior.
    the bushwhackers were loafing everyone and nobody wanted to fight jake the snake.
    ooh
    and the undertaker was actually a bit worrying "american bad ass my ass"
    although it is entertaining.
    anyone rember rhythm and blues?
    they used to smack people with guitars - now thats entertainment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

million dollar man -> money in your mouth
    papa shango -> made you sweat black goo
    brutus "the barber" beefcake

*squirt*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

gives the word "crap" a bad name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Victor:
    It is probably one level below American Football - now how many times do they actually kick the 'foot'ball?

Just a big pile of (noisy) smelly stuff.

</font>

NFL rules.

i bet you have never even sat down to watch a full game. people just see it as a bunch of thugs wallopping each other but it isn't. It really is a sport that you must get into but you have to recognise the skill involved and the excitement that a game enduces IF YOU BOTHERED YOUR **** TO WATCH IT!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

About a year ago I thought it was excellant but now it all seems the same over and over again.
    It ain't too bad, the fights can get repetitive but it is the story lines, yes you read right story lines that keep it interesting
    WWF = No Sport
    WWF = Soap Opera, reminds me of Corination Street wierd story lines except with less fighting.... er i mean more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

i think wwf is a load of rubbish, that said about two years ago i was hucked...big time! but now i just couldn't bring myself to look at it! biggrin.gif

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

So... the general concensus is that it's $h|te then?

... oh that Mike Tyson... what a wussie tongue.gif

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? - a Triumph! - 'And yea verily did Moses strike down the ammmanites, - and all the land did hear the roar of his triumph !!!'

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 24-05-2001).]

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Neil3030:
    NFL rules.

i bet you have never even sat down to watch a full game. people just see it as a bunch of thugs wallopping each other but it isn't. It really is a sport that you must get into but you have to recognise the skill involved and the excitement that a game enduces IF YOU BOTHERED YOUR **** TO WATCH IT!!!

</font>

They're hardly thugs - they wear kevlar ffs! I wonder how well an American Football team would do against a Rugby team? None of this substitutions and stopping the play every 10 seconds!!!

By the way, I do like American Football and always watch the Superbowl if possible.

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    We were all set for a game of Ice Hockey when Frank Williams says "Sorry lads, I've forgotten my skates!"
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kharn:
    I wonder how well an American Football team would do against a Rugby team? None of this substitutions and stopping the play every 10 seconds!!!
    </font>

OT, as it may be... great point Dav! Professional rugby players would trounce an American Football team... pummel 'em into the ground they would.

Especially Young Munsters wink.gif

GWAN MUNSTERS !!! KICK AHEAD MUNSTERS !!! ANY HEAD WILL DO !!!

The Claw (Clohessy) would kick any of those WWF wussies candy a$$es nae probs wink.gif

Bard

WWF is ****E ! It has gone to the dogs.For good entertaining wrestling you should check out Mexican Wrestling.Lucha Libre is what it is called.The Wrestlerss are called Luchadors.They are smaller in size but the punches and kicks are real.Or All Japan Pro Wrestling.The Punches and kicks are real there too.Sure Mike Tyson was going to fight for All Japan but he chickened out despite the 37 million paycheck he would receive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

WWF = $hite. How people can watch it, I do not know.

- Munch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

tbh if i wanted to watch something stupid and funny i'd watch tom green, jackass, trigger happy tv or southpark.

all un pc.

all horrible.

all sidesplitting when you're in the right mood.

having said that, if you're in the right mood wrassling can be a thing of great beauty.

got a mate a stone cold steve austin t-shirt for his 21st a few months back along with a colour gameboy (a few of us did) he loved them both and proudly wears the t-shirt every so often. smile.gif

depends on who you are really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kharn:
    Still - Lita...

</font>

Any COunter arguments should be deleted, as her and Terri are 4 of the best things on the show ... did i say 4 i meant 4 !!! ;p

Anyway i want Crash to be the WWF champ, when he went 24/7 withthe hardcore title that was brill !!!.

P.S. Jake the Snake in his prome would smake all there candy A$$'$ .

No !!!!! I will crush you with my Bare hands.
    P.S. Avator fromerly know as Gamblor !!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Can you believe they used to have threads like this!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

Should'nt this thread be deleted. Isn't this to an extent anti-wrestling talk which is supposed to not tolerated here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Why don't you all just piss off. Nobody wants to hear your opinions on how you don't like it. Wrestlers display amazing amounts of athletic ability, skill and intellegence. These people risk there lives everyday of the week and are constantly touring. They commit a large portion of their lives to entertain and if you can't respect that - then you can respect nothing.

This board is for wrestling discussion, if you like wrestling post in here and if you don't then just F*CK OFF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

mmm.... look at the dates, this thread is from 2001, apparently before there was a wrestling board seeing as how they are trying to decide whether or not it should go in sports or after hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Yup tis an old thread and is getting Locked right now,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement