Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up network with resrrictions

Options
  • 06-07-2004 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

Hi

Im setting up a network with internet (broadband)available on it.
    It's Eircom Home starter.
    Firstly can anyone foresee any problmes with this setup:

Eircom Netopia ethernet router
    -> intoNIC1 of win2k machine(mac1)
    -> mac1 NIC2 -> 8 port switch
    -> Other Pc's (win xp + 98) into 8 port switch

I want mac1 to be DHCP server, PDC (need authentication) and Firewall,

Second:
    I only want some of the pc's using the switch to be able to access the internet. But I want all pc's accessing the switch to be able to access mail which is external.
    Can this be configured using a firewall?

Cheers
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

I'm using Outpost firewall software but I'm sure others with forwarding facilities are similar. In it you could block all traffic forwarding except for port 80 (HTTP) for the PCs you want to give Internet access to and ports 110/25 (POP/SMTP) for all of them to allow email access. Of course in Outpost I think you can only do it by IP address, so you wouldn't want the client PC's addresses changing, ie. wouldn't work too well with DHCP unless you up the lease time to prevent unintended address changes...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

are you using free or pro?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

I'm using pro...

Advertisement