Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fancy a laugh.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

that is funny.lol. and if he gets it, Ireland will have a great chance of topping the group.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

http://www.breakingnews.ie/story.asp?j=147963450&p=y479644xx&n=147964437&x=

The new manager will be announced on Friday BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

talking to some english mates they reckon he was the best manager for england in recent time..pity about his time in spurs and considering half of arsenal play for france i can't see it happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I may be wrong but did'nt Hoddle play in France towards the end of his career .. it might not be that unrealistic if he was seen as a hero or great player while playing there ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He played for Monaco under Wenger but I dont think he has any great status in the French footballing memory dispite this-
    Believing that a prophet is without honour in his own land, Hoddle joined AC Monaco, then managed by Arsène Wenger. Monaco won the French championship in Hoddle's first year. 'He is the most skilful player I have ever worked with,' Wenger later said. 'His control was superb and he had perfect body balance. His skill in both feet was uncanny... I couldn't understand why he hadn't been appreciated in England. Perhaps he was a star in the wrong period, years ahead of his time.'

Michele Platini famously claimed that had Hoddle been born French 'he would have won 150 caps'. As Jean-Luc Ettori, Monaco's club captain at the time, recently put it: 'For us Glenn was le bon dieu - he was a god. There's nothing else to say.'

The public proberly just think about England under him.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

indo this morning (website)

Hoddle to be interviewed for French job today
    11:20 Wednesday July 7th 2004

Former England manager Glen Hoddle is due to be interviewed for the job of French coach in Paris later today. Hoddle's candidacy for the position was confirmed earlier this week, but he remains an outsider for the job. The French Football Federation has refused to rule him out of contention, however, as he has experience of coaching a national team, something fellow candidates Laurent Blanc and Jean Tigana cannot boast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by mike65
    The public proberly just think about England under him.
    AFAIK he's highly respected in France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I'd say they will take a serious look at him. He did well in the WC, his only mistake was following the long line of foolish England managers who didn't practice penalties, and played with the "its a lottery" attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dunno if this is good reportage or English pride but the beeb reports -
    Glenn Hoddle has emerged among the favourites to take over as the new manager of the French national team.

Former England boss Hoddle was interviewed by the French Football Federation on Wednesday, just 24 hours after expressing his interest by fax.

Hoddle emerged from his interview to say: "I would consider it a great honour to coach such a fantastic team.

"It would be a great challenge for me and I believe I have the right credentials for the job."

I believe a foreign coach can bring a different approach and new ideas.

Other contenders for the job include Laurent Blanc, Jean Tigana, former Senegal coach Bruno Metsu and Rene Girard, former assistant to Roger Lemerre.

Hoddle, who played for Monaco for three years, believes his previous international experience will be a factor in his favour.

He said: "In a difficult context we (England) managed to qualify for the 1998 World Cup and with a little bit more success we could have even booked our ticket to the quarter-finals.

"I also played in the French championship and I kept a lot of great memories from that time.

"Times have changed. In the French team, only two or three players play in their country.

A French Football Federation (FFF) spokesman said: "We want the new coach to be in charge for the friendly against Bosnia on 18 August."

FFF chief Claude Simonet will not interview all the candidates on the same day as he did before Jacques Santini replaced Lemerre in July 2002.

The spokesman said: "The chairman will talk to all the contenders individually.

"He has already met Blanc and Tigana in Lisbon during Euro 2004, he has seen Girard and will talk to Metsu on the phone."

Blanc won 97 caps and helped France to victory in the 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000 before ending his playing career at Manchester United last year.

Zidane ponders future

The 38-year-old has the support of former team-mates such as Zinedine Zidane, who hinted he could retire from international football should Blanc not be appointed.

Tigana, 48, was part of the team that won France's first European title in 1984, playing alongside Michel Platini, Luis Fernandez and Alain Giresse.

Blanc has no coaching experience, while Tigana took Monaco to the French title in 1997 and steered Fulham into the Premiership in 2001.

The new manager's first task will be to help the players overcome the disappointment of losing their European title in Portugal, where they were ousted in the quarter-finals by eventual champions Greece.

France begin their 2006 World Cup qualifiers in September and are grouped with Ireland, Switzerland, Israel, Cyprus and the Faroe Islands.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I always wonder why Gorman always gets a job straight after Glenn gets sacked and it takes him about year to get another job. Maybe its Gorman who has the right ideas and its him is the decent coach and Eileen and Glenn are his puppets :/.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Looks like we've lost our faint glimmer of hope...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=304816&cc=5739

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Hope ? .......he was one of the best managers looking for the job which dosent say a lot for France(remember we want them to be crap in our qualifying group ) .

now its a choice between they're former U 21 coach , Jian Tigana and ........................wait for it .............................its coming.............................Lauren Blanc who has no coaching expierience and has probably got his UEFA badges only in the last year after he left United :D:D:D .

me hopes its Blanc .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'd be MUCH happier playing any team that fool Hoddle assembled rather than an unknown quantity.

Advertisement