Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leased Line

Options
  • 06-07-2004 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Anyone know the prices for leased line prices (in cork city if it matters).... eircon want €199 + vat for the 2mb unlimited transfer dsl and want to compare ....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

about €2.5-3k a month for a 2Mbit Leased Line which is 2048/2048 uncontended

DSL is 2048/256 is contended 4:1 but costs less than one tenth of the price of a leased line , service level is about the same in terms of outages. You get at least 4 fixed IP's thrown in or maybe 8 .

Its a no brainer I'd say. :D

M

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Muck
    DSL is 2048/256 is contended 4:1
    ...or maybe even 24:1...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

john, this is what you need:
    http://www.netsource.ie/business/corporate.asp

Contention is 24:1 on all 2mb services (I think it's 8:1 or 4:1 on Esat's service, though you can forget about that since it's only available on very few exchanges). The bottom line is that Eircom's leased lines actually have some level of contention on them anyway, and as long as the DSL service in your area is well managed, contention should not make it slower (at least no for the vast majority of the time). I'd say unless you have some special requirement that forces you to get a leased line, DSL is your best choice by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 johnhegarty

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    john, this is what you need:
    http://www.netsource.ie/business/corporate.asp

Contention is 24:1 on all 2mb services (I think it's 8:1 or 4:1 on Esat's service, though you can forget about that since it's only available on very few exchanges). The bottom line is that Eircom's leased lines actually have some level of contention on them anyway, and as long as the DSL service in your area is well managed, contention should not make it slower (at least no for the vast majority of the time). I'd say unless you have some special requirement that forces you to get a leased line, DSL is your best choice by far.

thats a million uber..... super price ...

Advertisement