Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Phone Line Question

Options
  • 06-07-2004 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    Many people are talking about Line quality, failing line tests for broadband, dodgy connections and so on and so forth, etc. etc. Is it posssible for one to find out about how to wire the phone line in the house, How to improve connectivity, how to improve reliability, what usually happens between your house and the exchange, the location of your exchange etc.

In other words, can a FAQ be set up or even better an information thread that deals with THOSE issues? The sticky FAQ is good but im talking about an in-depth look at a more specific topic in communications. There are a load of questions that I can't find the answer to.

Cheers:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

1. Disconnect all internal extensions (the wires) leaving only the first eircom socket active.
    2. Plug a bog standard Eircom phone into it with no lcd display or clock, not a cordless.
    3. Wait for dry weather.
    4. Ask for a test to be done and order imediately if you pass.

If the above fails your problem is external. You should have analogue line speeds above 44k if you are to pass....generally .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

Sometimes its recommended plugging out your telephone from the socket for at least 45 mins to fix any short circuit problems , then put it back in , pref. a SLT (single line telephone) as Muck had mentioned

as for the other questions, pm me , i'd be glad to answer them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Thanks a trillion:D Btw modem speeds used to be around 48-50 about 8 months ago but hav fallen to 45.2-46. Where is the main source of line noise and what kind of noise would interfere with the test? I presume the frequencies in the ADSL working bandwidth.

On a completely separate point, how come people with caller id enabled do not show their numbers on other phones? It's a bit self-defeating! I cannot think why eircom would do that.

CLIP = caller line ident presentation

+

CLIR = caller line ident restriction

which are our equilvalent to ANI etc.. should work if activated, unless for toll free 1-800 where CLIR won't work due to the fact that they (the called party) fit the bill so they can override that feature..

what phone is disabling the feature?

DECT or multi extension..?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

We used to have a separate caller id machine but now we have a dect phone (with caller id).
    At what point on the "last mile" is the line most susceptible to noise?

• Advertisement

Well it could be interference with junction/PCP boxes (i.e. roadside cabinets), the cable could be good from the exchange to the PCP box, but poor from then onwards..

it could also be rf interference from a tv, computer, etc.

quite a few possibilities and determining factors, there usually isn't one fix that will improve it

for example i live in an old house, i thought the connection would be terrible, but its quite good - you never really can tell :)

Advertisement