Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT bribes

Options
  • 06-07-2004 10:39pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Listening to today-fm on the way home this eve they were talking about the NCT and it was discussed about how if you leave €50 in your ashtray you get a pass. This was not disputed outright by the NCT staff union rep fella but he merely suggested that these cars get a free slot quicker.
    Anyone heard anything like this?

co-incidentally my test is on sunday but there should be no probs and I wouldn't waste €50 on the feckers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Id leave the €50 in the ashtray, a small camera filming it and when you get your pass go ballistic that the guy knicked €50 from your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Stekelly
    Id leave the €50 in the ashtray, a small camera filming it and when you get your pass go ballistic that the guy knicked €50 from your car.

Good idea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds like a classic urban myth to me (which is not to say it has'nt been attempted).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

€120 for any car to be passed - I know a guy who knows a guy. And have seen a car make it through with seized calipers and ****ed up emissions - to get it through the emissions theres a few people involved - they'll put the test probe for the exhaust into another car by all accounts.... not sure what they do for others sections but its done all the time

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by mike65
    Sounds like a classic urban myth to me (which is not to say it has'nt been attempted).

Mike.
    but why then wasn't the matter firmly refuted by the NCT union fella?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"Never say never" I suspect. He could'nt be 100% certain. No doubt some internal inquiries going on as we speak.

Mike.

well the reason the union rep and the NCTS spokesman were on was because of a potential dispute there because of secret cameras monitoring the staff as they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Well with all the taxi drivers '89 Carina's that squeal past me belching thick, black smoke I do wonder sometimes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    Well with all the taxi drivers '89 Carina's that squeal past me belching thick, black smoke I do wonder sometimes.

as far as I can remember, taxis dont have to do the NCT, they do a different test for
    commercial vehicles.. the DOE test methinks.. although I could be wrong..

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Originally posted by kdevitt
    €120 for any car to be passed - I know a guy who knows a guy. And have seen a car make it through with seized calipers and ****ed up emissions - to get it through the emissions theres a few people involved - they'll put the test probe for the exhaust into another car by all accounts.... not sure what they do for others sections but its done all the time

What is they approve something that turns out to be faulty and that causes a fatal accident?

Manslaughter?

• Advertisement

could be hard to prove it was faulty at the test - tester could claim thar part myst have been replaced with damaged ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

What is they approve something that turns out to be faulty and that causes a fatal accident?

Manslaughter?

you're having a laugh? the nct people will say there was no way the damage was present at the test or the car wouldn't have passed... this is a corrupt little country after all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

Sounds like a modern Irish version of the old "$10 bill accidentally stuck to the driver's license" routine.

If the NCT is defined in law anything like the British MoT, they'll point out the clause which says something to the effect of "This certificate indicates only that the vehicle passed all requirements at the time of inspection. It is not a guarantee that the vehicle is roadworthy or will remain so until the next test is due."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by PBC_1966
    "This certificate indicates only that the vehicle passed all requirements at the time of inspection. It is not a guarantee that the vehicle is roadworthy or will remain so until the next test is due."
    yeah the cert says something like that allright

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

Originally posted by ToxicPaddy
    as far as I can remember, taxis dont have to do the NCT, they do a different test for
    commercial vehicles.. the DOE test methinks.. although I could be wrong..

Tox
    Not true,any taxi or hackney has to do a psv test which is the same as an nct but even stricter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

British taxis have a separate "Hackney" inspection, which covers all the regular MoT points plus a whole load more. As is typical of British bureaucracy, however, they're still required to take the normal MoT test, even though everything on it has already been covered by the taxi inspection. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by PBC_1966
    British taxis have a separate "Hackney" inspection, which covers all the regular MoT points plus a whole load more. As is typical of British bureaucracy, however, they're still required to take the normal MoT test, even though everything on it has already been covered by the taxi inspection. :rolleyes:
    Yeah was in a Taxi over there once and the driver was saying that he couldn't get a car passed in both - either the brakes were too soft or the came on too quickly - in the end he had to get the car passed in one and then get the garage to tweak the brakes for the other test... go figure.

Advertisement