Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fault on Eircom line

Options
  • 06-07-2004 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

I have recently been having problems with an Eircom land line.I have been
    getting phone calls (wrong numbers) from all over the world on one day I got
    14 calls.
    These where from various countries like Bahrain Eritrea Italy the uk and
    some African countries.Of the people who speak English I have gathered they
    are just dialling numbers normally and getting through to me .Alot of the
    numbers come up as out of area on caller display.This has been going on for
    the last 2 months .Eircom don't know what is causing it ,it was a new
    install eircom say its the first time the number has been used.I know its a
    long shot but has anybody ever had a similar problem.The number is an 044
    code with a 5 digit number.I posted this on ie.general and nobody seems to be having same experience.Eircom engineers have contacted me about once a week to try and resolve this.They have said it was a result of Eircom routing calls for the UK on there lines there computer was not recognising the 0044 and routing them to me the first two digits of my number is the same as a UK mobile provider.The level of calls has fallen off alot but i got 5 calls last weekend. All of these calls come up as Out of area on caller display.Eircom have a trace on the line and are now saying that these calls are not coming through on the normal lines and cant be traced.Anybody had similar experience or could suggest a person to direct a complaint too.I have emailed customer services but had no responce
    --

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

lemme see.

Would it be 04428 04420 or 04429 .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

044 79

its a misdial of a UK mobile number , 004479 nnnnnn with the first 0 missing.

As you get a lot of these you should try for a safer number such as 04475 or 04473 or 04472 as these correspond to unused numbers in the UK also try 04481 and 04482 and 04483 if available.

the calls probably originate or ' Break Out 'in ireland TBH

M

I dont think its a 'miss dial' i have spoken at lenght to one person from Hungary.He got through to me 3 times on one night.He was dialling the 0044 .To get to Ireland from Hungary he would have to be dialing the 00353.We do get a fair few people calling the UK from here and missing the first zero , I dont think Eircom can be responsible for this.But i do think my current problem is different and Eircoms fault.
    The only solution does seem to be to change the number there are some 044 75 numbers in the older parts of town i shall try for that.Do you know wether it is possible to get a number outside of the normal number ranges in the immediate area?

While Eircom are at fault for many things that are wrong with this country including the crap weather we have had and the cost of Porter I feel that this is actually not their fault ....for once.

As it is a new number could you explain it to them (go to their HQ in Mullingar where someone WILL have come across this before) and ask for a number corresponding to the unused UK number ranges ranges I indicated.

If you ask nicely I am sure that a sound engineer will sort you out quickly and painlessly , forget the Biddies on 1901 , they are useless. Its a new number so you can afford to lose it.

There are up to 99 Million UK numbers that begin 079 FFS :( . You can not change them.

HTH

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 johnhegarty

at lenght to one person from Hungary

did you get the full phone number he was dialing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by andyeire
    044 79xxx
    My number also begins in this format and for a while we were getting tons of calls from the North. Seems to have eased off now and we rarely get any.

In my situation I believe it was a mis-dialled number.

viking

Originally posted by johnhegarty
    did you get the full phone number he was dialing ?

Yes he was dialling 0044 79***and then some other numbers that made up a mobile number in the UK my point is that he would have had to have dialled 003534479*** to get to me from hungary

Originally posted by viking
    My number also begins in this format and for a while we were getting tons of calls from the North. Seems to have eased off now and we rarely get any.

In my situation I believe it was a mis-dialled number.

viking
    we do get a fair few miss dialers from ireland trying to ring UK but the calls i am getting at the moment are coming from countries other than the UK and Ireland.
    I think getting a 75 number might be the only solution

Advertisement