Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will be the next team to 'Do a Leeds?'

• 07-07-2004 8:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭

Well its football, and sometimes the heart ruls the head.

But still theres sometams out there over extending themselves, i mean middlesboro must have nearly as many players as Chelsea, but just cause they won the league cup, they think they are contenders? Look at what happened to blackburn last season!

So the way i see it the four3 teams most likey to do a Leeds.

Middlesboro - Zenden (permanently), Viduka, possibly Kluivert, and Reizeger all in!

Birmingham - Heskey !!! Izzet, Purse Gray, and Forsell for another year!

Tottenham Started when they bought Defoe while still having Kanoute and Keano, not to mention Postiga! Now there being linked with every has-been in europe. Santini is bound to spend a bundle!

I suppose Newcastle have spend a bundle on Milner, who has less than 1 season behind him, and possibly the over rated kluivert! I think this will be Robsons last season, but can he take the club with him?
    Man City are always good for a laugh as keegan cannot sgn a defender, but is always willing to sign another attacking player .... anyone else?

X

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

i doubt any team will ever do a leeds..people are far to carely..from spurs point of view, we have the second richest man in english football behind us so i doubt it will happen...

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

It is most likely to be Man City. They're already in quite a bit of trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

City are the only team I can see going down like that!! but still dont think it could ever happen again! Leeds paying Barmby a couple of million just to get him off the books???? f**kin joke! Ian Harte on 35K a year??????? madness

City at the moment are something like 40mil in dept but they are not spending anymore and cutting down playing staff and so on! also have a decent stadium!! Leeds knew they where in trouble and wat did they do???? went out and paid 3.75Mil for Barmby!! wat sort of spanner head came up with that one!!

No chance Boro will ever go like that! Steve Gibson has a bundle of money and also McClaren first job when he joined was to get rid of the dead wood on big wages! Viduka came in to replace Ricketts, Reizeger came in to replace Mills who was on loan! Kluivert looks like he will go to Newcastle!! apart from that if you look at the squad it is more or less the same!! so cant see how they nearly have as many players as chelsea?????????? they have alot of young players alright but these would be on small wages!!

Birmingham have Gold's money and has also come out this week and invited investment! think he is meeting that Thai fellow that wants to invest in the 'pool! no chance they will ever go down like that! have always spent big for donkey years except they had a succesion of managers that bought crap over-rated players! look at the players they have brough in/looking to and they are all quality performers!! could be an outside bet for 4th place next season!!

Tottenham are loaded!! got money for Defoe from a share plan brought in by the board to raise money!! was all over papers!! Most clubs have 4 strikers!! Cant see Santini spending that much! already he has said all that needs strenghting is there midfield which has always been Spurs downfall!! 3mil on Davis from Fulham looks a good buy alongside Michael Brown and Davies looks good!! `

Newcastle???? r u takin the p*ss now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Newcastle , u must be ****ing joking .

Freddie Sheperds pockets are as tight as Doug Elis .

Milner was a brilliant buy on the cheap , u do know Shearer has to be replaced after this season ?

Kluivert isnt coming , because if he was hwe would be in Newcastle by now .
    Because Newcastle have supposedly be after him for 2 years now .

Forsell on loan is not going to bankrupt a team .:p .

id be more concerned with Chelsea's long term future than most of these clubs .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Originally posted by Big Ears
    id be more concerned with Chelsea's long term future than most of these clubs .

me too
    though it could be that noone will do a leeds....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Spurs? You're having a larf, incha?

We have five strikers (Rebrov's back, but my guess is we'll get rid of at least two of them (Kanoute and Postiga).

Spurs have been on a sound financial footing for many's a year now, thanks to Alan Sugar (bastard that he is...), and will not find themselves in dire straits again under Levy.

Of all the clubs I'd fear for its Man City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Spurs? You're having a larf, incha?

We have five strikers (Rebrov's back, but my guess is we'll get rid of at least two of them (Kanoute and Postiga).

Spurs have been on a sound financial footing for many's a year now, thanks to Alan Sugar (bastard that he is...), and will not find themselves in dire straits again under Levy.

Of all the clubs I'd fear for its Man City.

Dont tell me that u can actually call Rebrov a striker??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Chelsea are the most likely, if mr ruski gets bored of soccer or the english weather, they're up ****e creek. Alot of the purchases they've made make no sense, there didn't seem to be any plan to the buying, more a case of 'theres a good player, buy him'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

As long as Chelsea have the money, they won't be "doing a Leeds". Middlesborough and Birmingham have excellent managers, and are unlikely to experience the dip in form that precedes a Leeds-style collapse. Man City are possible contenders though, Keegan has set himself one more season, and then he's finished, and you just get the impression that if he's never before learned to train a team to defend, he's not going to learn at this late stage. If City go down, it'll be a long time before they are up again, but that's probably the case for any team that goes down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by ButcherOfNog
    Chelsea are the most likely, if mr ruski gets bored of soccer or the english weather, they're up ****e creek. Alot of the purchases they've made make no sense, there didn't seem to be any plan to the buying, more a case of 'theres a good player, buy him'.

if you believe the rumours he bought chelski to launder his money.

Imagine if Chelski win everything in club football, cant see it myself but imagine.Surely he will get bored and move on.

I wonder would the bookies take a bet on chelski being brankrupt in 5 years.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement