Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all Veritas Backup Exec experts...

Options
  • 07-07-2004 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Anybody know a bit about Veritas Backup Exec??? it's not the easiest program to figure out. We have MS Exchange 2003, so we need to be able to backup the mailboxes and have the facility to restore individual ones if and when the need arrises. Does anybody know what needs to be backed up for this to happen...?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

At a guess you will need to buy the "optional" exchange agent .

If you have an Exchange server and aren't using Exmerge - stop what you are doing and get it NOW..
    It can export each accounts mailbox to a pst file of the same name - muppet proof recovery. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=429163EC-DCDF-47DC-96DA-1C12D67327D5&displaylang=en
    626 KB - Note This version of Mailbox Merge should only be run from Exchange Server 2003 or from computers with the Exchange 2003 administrative tools loaded. It can be run against Exchange 5.5, 2000, and 2003.

Offline backups - stop all exchange services and backup the files - no agent needed

Online backup - exchange modifies tha windows backup util to allow it to backup mail containers - start run NTBACKUP etc. (not sure how this interacts with 3rd party backup sw) - AFAIK at best you have the option of restoring a full mailbox by overwriting - third party sw like backup exec will allow you to individual emails (or use exmerge)

NB set deleted item retention time to 30days (and mailbox retention if available)

And disable circular logging - so you can rebuild from last backup + transaction log.

If users have .0ST files and the server dies horribly - don't let them log on - export their OST's to a PST (work offline) before they "synchronise" with server...

Difference between Backup Exec and Arcserve is that both will fail to backup on the slightest excuse (NTbackup in NT4 does what it is told unlike more recent rograms) but arcserve is also a complete pig when it comes to restoring..

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Good link. Cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Polonious

Capt'n, I have the exchange agent installed and can see the various options when setting up the backup - i.e "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes", "Microsoft Exchange Information Store".. When I expand the "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes" tab i can see all the individual mailboxes by name. However the size in kb beside all of them is 0 (zero) for some reason. Where as if i'm backing up a regular directory each file in that directory has it's size beside it. It's confusing. I'm used to running Arcserve with Lotus Notes, that was easy. But this Veritas is a tough one to work out.

On the other hand, i had not heard of ExMerge, and will get that immediately and try it out. It could be a work around for me to use. Thanks for that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the version we have has four options
    exchange directory & exchange information store.
    these correspond to the large database files (one nice improvement from 5.5 is that you can restore into a new container)

mailboxes (exmerge does these too)
    public folders

If you select them all you are in effect backing up everything twice - don't skimp . - If you don't have the enterprise version the container size limitations are insultingly small (cf. gmail :rolleyes: ) esp when if it halves if you web publish - if you have the enterprise you can afford big tape drives

Is the backup service user a member of exchange/enterprise admins ?

Best way is to do a quick backup - then run a restore 'cos then you will see what is on the tape. (apply the doubting Thomas principe - don't believe it till you see it.)

Advertisement