Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this normal?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭BrianD3

46k miles is nothing for a modern car. If the battery, brake discs and fanbelt needed to be replaced at this mileage I would wonder if the mileage is corrrect. Perhaps the previous owner clocked the car?
    As for the battery, I don't think it absolutely had to be replaced yet, but I did have some trouble getting it started on cold mornings so I thought I might as well.
    The poor cold starting may have been caused by the fan (alternator) belt slipping and not charging the battery as well as it should. If that was the case, I would expect to change the belt but the battery should still have been OK. Who suggested changing the battery - you or the mechanic?

Anyhow, main dealer or not, they sound useless. The business with the temp sensor and telling you that the high rev problem would cure itself after a while is utter bullsh1t. Modern cars are designed to be plugged into diagnostic equipment which should tell the operator pretty quickly about any electronic problems such as faulty sensors. They should not have returned the car to you *knowing* that there was a problem with the revs. For 650 euros, the least they could do is run some diagnostics and determine the problem. PS how much was the sensor.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Thanks Brian ( I think)...

The sensor cost €20...

As for the battery - mechanic asked had I any problems starting the car in the cold, I said yes, and he suggested I get a new battery.

If it makes any difference, this is apparently only the second full service the car has gotten since Apr 99. Apparently the previous owner did the basics themselves (changing oil etc.), but never bothered bringing it into a garage.

Its hard to know about the battery situation but 20 quid is about the right price for a temp sensor. The fact that the previous owner did his own servicing is not necessarily a cause for worry. However any muppet can *claim* that he did his own servicing to try to make up for a non-existent service history.....Irish people are terrible for getting their cars serviced. Many do not bother at all, others ignore all service recommendations/intervals. I reckon a lot of this is due to a sort of throwaway, easy-come, easy-go attitude to cars because of the ease with which people can get car loans these days.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by BrianD3
    rish people are terrible for getting their cars serviced. Many do not bother at all, others ignore all service recommendations/intervals. I reckon a lot of this is due to a sort of throwaway, easy-come, easy-go attitude to cars because of the ease with which people can get car loans these days.

BrianD3

Nah its not that, and excuse this blow-in saying it but the real reason is the "ah sure t'will do" mentality of your elders! Benign neglect used to be a way of life here as regards cars. I think as the nation has got richer and cars posher ppl now will take the time and trouble to keep thier car in good order but some of the "old banger" thinking prolly still lurks!

Mike.

Nah its not that, and excuse this blow-in saying it but the real reason is the "ah sure t'will do" mentality of your elders! Benign neglect used to be a way of life here as regards cars. I think as the nation has got richer and cars posher ppl now will take the time and trouble to keep thier car in good order but some of the "old banger" thinking prolly still lurks!
    Yeah it is a cultural thing too. Many Irish can't even be bothered to wash their car, let alone get it serviced :) Another thing is the UK has had the MOT since the early sixties which encouraged people to keep their cars serviced and in decent nick. But over here the NCT is a very recent thing. Ever notice how you almost never see a pre 85 car on the road in this country in everyday use whereas they are fairly common in the UK. I reckon if car testing had been introduced here 20 years ago, far more "future classics" from the seventies and eighties would have survived in this country. Without mandatory car testing, people just didn't give a sh1t and would drive their neglected unroadwrothy heaps into the ground.

BrianD3

• Advertisement
Advertisement