Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do starfleet officers get money

Options
  • 07-07-2004 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

Many of them buy stuff from other races like ferrengi.
    But where do they get ther money to buy stuff, they dont get paid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

well they could get it playing dabo or something like that, but then again in order to play dabo you gotta have money

Hmm conundrum there alright

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

In the time of picard id say each explorer class ship (galaxy nebula sovy etc) has an onboard vault each crewman would be issued some money when on missions out side the federation other than that there would be no need for money small Replicators can feed every one and produce other goods for free plus you have industrial replicators.

In kirks time there must have been money no replicators ment food and goods had to be produced in the old fashioned way plus there where a few quotes in the movies such as Scotty buying a boat and Kirk selling his house years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I suppose some of them might have just gone up to ferrengi and offerd asked to borrow money and offerd there legs as colleratal, then gambled the money and paid it back. Then they could use the money they won to gamble more or buy stuff.

BTW i have no memory of posting this topic. I think that means i drink too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

They use particles.

Any problem in star trek can be solved using particles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Who's to say that they dont just replicate the latinum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Wouldnt it devaule the money if starfleet ships are out there replicateing it as needed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭The Admiral

I think it's not the starships having vaults onboard... The people working for Starfleet maybe just "sign" the bill with their thumbprint (as in Quark's in DS9) and so Quark (or any other merchant) sends over that bill to Starfleet who finally does the payment. So it would be conceivable that Starfleet does have certain amounts of gold pressed latinum or some kind of "cash". That way the production of "currencies" or latinum remains (as always) in the hands of the proper authorities. Maybe Fereginar pays the Federation and Starfleet for certain territorial or economical advantages. Hence the way Starfleet & Federation get hold of the latinum. As for civilians from the Federation, maybe this works in a similar way, depending on the planet their from.

The Admiral

ps: Over here in Belgium, we've got a political party ("Vivant") which is actually spreading the idea of rearranging the whole financial flow from/to the governement. They want to launch some kind of "communist" system (everyone gets paid a fixed amount WITHOUT working) which allows people to live their lives with the just enough amount of money they get... and if you want to have more in your life, you must WORK for that extra amount of money. Every time I read/hear something about this party, it reminds me of StarTrek :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Cookie

they don't get paid? never ever?!?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No they don't - did you ever see a shop / cash register on the Enterprise ?
    Gene tried to show that money was not needed in the later stages of the federation since most people had most things they needed. A move away from the consumer society - think about it if things were durable you'd need to buy less of them - if populations growth slowed down - less new houses and less new cups needed especially if there is no kudos in showing off new stuff ..

Advertisement