Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scaffolding

• 07-07-2004 11:14am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

Have any of you ever bought 2nd hand or new scaffolding? If so where did you purchase and what sort of money did you pay.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Unless you're going building full time I wouldn't see the point. Scaffolding is easy to hire, and the pros do a better job of putting it up too!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Am building my own house and it needs to be fully scaffolded for a minimum of 10 weeks @ 220 Euro per week + VAT.
    Scaffolding is not hard put up, know of a lad who paid over 3k for them to put the scaffolding up and take it down, easy money!

Here's an NI pricelist that might help

and here is a useful guide.

I've hired scaffolders in the past, and I've erected some smaller things myself so I can outline possible pros and cons

If you buy, you may leave yourself short of something you need, or end up with an excess, if you rent & erect this is largely the responsibility of the Scaf firm.

You could get stuck with the gear afterwards, or have to accept a very low resale price (from that website you'd probably be lucky to get 25% back on new gear)

If you are selfbuilding the quality of the scaf is not a huge issue, if you employ contractors it will be.

It's bloody hard work, especially at any height, though with a house this shouldn't be an issue.

The pros do it faster and better in my experience

Good luck with the build though:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I live in Cavan and priced a lad over in Monaghan and he was charging €10 a piece to buy it i think. It's €1 a piece to hire it for a week then and after 2 weeks it goes down to 50 cent a week.

Cheapest option i think is to buy the scaffolding try buy and sell maybe use it for your house, then sell it. You could end up making money in the end will cost a good few grand to go around a decent size house tho!

post up here if ya find stuff to buy on the cheap anywhere please

Farlz

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks for the replies, there is a place in Cork where I am talking to at the minute.

I have got a quote of 5800 new delivered to the house which is very good.

"You could get stuck with the gear afterwards, or have to accept a very low resale price (from that website you'd probably be lucky to get 25% back on new gear)"

How did you come to this conclusion?? Going by this site the new price 6'6 uprights are 8 new and 7 second hand????

That self build site is good though, was thinking of doing one up myself to aid others who are going down that line in Ireland, very little information available to us here

• Advertisement

Originally posted by yop

How did you come to this conclusion?? Going by this site the new price 6'6 uprights are 8 new and 7 second hand????

Sorry, my mistake, I was thinking of a differnt place - that link has good (from a seller PoV ) prices

At €5800 to buy and €2200 to rent (10 weeks), it means you must get €3600 when you resell ( me good at maths) Personally I wouldn't take that risk, but good luck either way;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Originally posted by yop
    Am building my own house and it needs to be fully scaffolded for a minimum of 10 weeks @ 220 Euro per week + VAT.
    That's assuming your build requirement with the scaffold will take 10 weeks. All kinds of sh!t can happen and delay that, sometimes up to twice the length, so if you can afford it, buy it. The weather here is so unpredictable and so are sub contractors. I think you should have no trouble selling it on later for a reasonable price.....there's always other self builders out there in the same situation as you. Can you advertise on the self build web site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by yop
    Am building my own house and it needs to be fully scaffolded for a minimum of 10 weeks @ 220 Euro per week + VAT. Scaffolding is not hard put up, know of a lad who paid over 3k for them to put the scaffolding up and take it down, easy money!
    Be very wary of putting up your own scaffolding - you could be really done over if there was an accident and the scaffolding was at fault. Scaffolding MUST be done by a trained scaffolder by law. Interfering with or altering scaffolding is and offence.

Buying sould like a fools game. While it might be €7 second hand for an €8 piece, that includes the retailers mark-up, he not going to offer you €7 for it. And anyone buying themselves won't necessarily want exactly what you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Just reiterating Victor by Law scaffolding has to be erected by a quaikfied scaffolder and taken down by same, and certified safe.

If you ahve any sub-contractors involved in your job they do not have to use the sacffolding if they do not feel it is safe.

And in the event of an accident you could be in for a huge claim and fines if you erect it yourself, not to mention, that if you have insurance during the building of the house it will be void if the scaffolding was not put up by a professional.

Of course if you are going to be the only person using the scaffolding it is up to yourself but note that Health and Safety Insepctors do check sites and could fine you, also you need a Safe PAss card to work on a site.

If however you are going to construct the scaffolding yourself FAS do training course's but there are quite a few requirements.
    http://www.fas.ie/cscs/courses/153.htm

The Health and Safety Authority opf Ireland has some info at

http://www.hsa.ie/publisher/index.jsp?&1nID=93&2nID=104&pID=162&nID=313

Where you can buy a book about the code of practice for Access and Work scaffolds, also if you do a search on the wedsite for scaffolds you can see cases where people where fined or projects shut down for breach of safety laws.

The construction industry in this country has become much more safety aware and regulated in the last few years, for the better I think even though we still have a very high level of accidents and deaths, but it is gettign better but even more expensive, and scaffolding is one area where the hire companies have you over a barrell.

Advertisement