Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Application On Internet

• 07-07-2004 11:41am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

I was wondering if any of u have ever put in for planning? Well if u have u know the site notice says someit along the lines of "the planning can be viewed in xxxxxxxxx county council for 20 Euro.."
    So I take it that you have to pay 20 notes to view an application, the site maps, plans etc. This would probably stop nosey sh*ts from viewing your app.

So there last week I was checking my own planning on the web. put in my number, or u can put in the address of the site and view the status of the planning.
    Nothing strange about that.
    So then I noticed a "related files" button. I clicked and was brought to another page where available to view and print were our plans, site notice, planning application, percolation test results, letters from our relevant work places, site notice, another letter we had to send to agree to an occupancy clause, a note for outlining their "more info" requirements and also a private letter we but wrote outlining our situation and asking the planner to take this into consideration, a begging letter almost but stating why we wanted to build etc.

So tell me do u think this is a bit shocking that anyone in the world can visit this site and view every scanned in document for every planning application.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

The information is in the public domain.
    And, you said yourself, anyone with €20.00 to spare can pop along to the county council offices and view all of these documents.
    I suspect the reason there is a €20.00 charge, is just a milking excercise under the guise of paying for the effort taken by a civil servant to pull the folder. However, online there's no human intervention, ergo, no excuse for charging the €20.00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Presuamably differnet councils apply different charges - but all planning applications are in the public domain. I've sat in the lobby of Fingal CoCo offices and perused a few - for my own home and neighbouring estate applications

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

what site can you check planning applications?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You can view them at you local COCO website. do a search for your county councils website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

All planning information and application is free. In order for the process to be transparent everything should be available for the public to see. The €20 is for those who wish to make an objection or comment on your application.

What council area are you in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

BrianD is right about that, and the site notice should be amended...

I'm interested to know what council area you're in, too — I just had a peep at an application to Limerick City Council that I'm interested in, but all you get is the bare bones — no sign of a "related files" button. If you can tell us which council area I'd like to write in to LCC and suggest they should provide the same, post-FoI...

peckerhead

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ok lads, thanks for the info.

the council is MayoCOCO.ie

go to the planning application, and then pick a place, say search by town pick any of the latest applications

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by BrianD
    All .... application is free.
    ????
    Originally posted by BrianD
    In order for the process to be transparent everything should be available for the public to see. The €20 is for those who wish to make an objection or comment on your application.
    Correct.
    and also a private letter we but wrote outlining our situation and asking the planner to take this into consideration, a begging letter almost but stating why we wanted to build etc.
    Were you expecting the planning system to be non-transparent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Just checked up on my own there, can't see a related files button anywhere tho, checked another few ppl's and no sign.

Strange

Farlz

What CoCo website did you check?? If you want you can pm the website address and that and I will check if I can view them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Victor, bit of a typo in my post. I should have said that viewing an application is free (not the application itself). Most councils will allow you purchase an application if you wish.

Advertisement