Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New NTL packages coming next Monday

Options
  • 07-07-2004 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I know this is probably sore point for some because of NTL's limited availabiliy but appraently they're going to launch their new packages on Monday next (12th). They're not giving out the exact details yet but it does include free installation so I imagine it will also include 3/4 free months to compete with Eircom/Esat/UTV. From what I've heard regarding their cap (or lack of) along with the low contention ratios I'd say it will be an attractive offer. Here's hoping anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Anyone heard any more about the supposed rollout that is to happen? Have they any specific plans or is it still just the wonderfully generic somewhere sometime real soon now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Do you know if they're gonna be adding new channels to the current one? I've got that and last weekend they did a preveiw of NASN and it was pretty good. I keep seeing some new channels they are adding on,so I'd say they might add a load more. Fingers crossed!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

do you know that there's a whole channel on Sky Digital devoted to selling NTL Broadband? 685 or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

Just noticed that ntl's website has been updated with the new speeds/prices. See

http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet.html
    http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_cable.html

ntl Broadband Starter 300kbps €25
    ntl Broadband 750kbps €30
    ntl Broadband Max 1.5Mb €50

Download speeds effective from 31.08.04.

No mention of new areas as far as I can tell and the 1GB cap/allowance seems to be gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

1.5mbps for 10 yoyo's more than Eircom. I demonstrate:

eircom Broadband Max 0.5Mb €40
    ntl Broadband Max 1.5Mb €50

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Even groovier if you can get it.

NTL cap 1Gb per day with 'spotty' enforcement

Eircom cap 4Gb per month (0.13Gb per day) with enforcement at €36 per Gig from the next bill it seems.

Not worth taking the chance for anudder €10 a month is it :)

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Muck
    they seem to have removed references to caps on their site now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Even groovier if you can get it.

Eircom cap 4Gb per month (0.13Gb per day) with enforcement at €36 per Gig from the next bill it seems.

M

I thought eircom's broadband was €54.45 incl. VAT? Is the NTL 1.5Mb, €50 offer VAT inclusive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

They will warn you if you are dogging it, (over 1gB a day and complaints from the neighbours) but they do not enforce them otherwise....hence spotty.

They won't sting you for it though.

Expect some specific rollout announcements too on Monday. I have one or two but I am embargoed like the journos. They will take orders for at least one new area .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

If one of those area's is Bray I'll kill them!! I just started 12 months contract with UTV after my line passed for the first time ever last month.........[me] wonders can he convince himself that its worth paying300+ to buy himself out of contract....:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

D.15 pllllleeeeeaaaassseeeee......ww)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Or go for NTL 750kbps. 50% faster than Eircom, and €10 less! :)

NTL's prices INCLUDE VAT, by the way (since it was asked).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Any sign of any info on this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

I just got off the phone with NTL. They said they now have 44,000 homes in the Dublin area enabled, latest area to be done was blackrock.

More areas will be announced next month. Looks like they are actually serious about this. New brochures on their way out shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Scottish
    I just got off the phone with NTL. They said they now have 44,000 homes in the Dublin area enabled, latest area to be done was blackrock.

More areas will be announced next month. Looks like they are actually serious about this. New brochures on their way out shortly.

That sounds promising. But I'll not get my hopes up for D.15 just yet.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I have bought a new house in D15 which will be ready in march 05 god i better have broadband over there when i move in

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by Calibos
    If one of those area's is Bray I'll kill them!! I just started 12 months contract with UTV after my line passed for the first time ever last month.........[me] wonders can he convince himself that its worth paying300+ to buy himself out of contract....:D:D:D

come on bray, these are the sort of offers i've been waiting for...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Just enquired - not available in D9 - no date available
    65 Eur install fee
    Price is vat included

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by tman
    they seem to have removed references to caps on their site now:)

Allowable Data Usage 1GB per day

from: http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_cable.html

this dosent become active till sept first though

*Denotes speed from September 1st 2004. Until this date speeds are 150kbps, 600kbps and 1mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

I live in the center of town in dublin and I dont have cover for NTL BB, fking losers, I will a have 3g BB mobile phone becore the NTL losers get around to upgrading the center of town

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

Im waiting for the day I can dump Eircom completly and not have to pay their crazy line rental

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    D.15 pllllleeeeeaaaassseeeee......ww)

NTL now have an option of the new look web site to check what services are available to you. You need your NTL account number.

Click here for NTL BroadBand Checker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by Batbat
    I live in the center of town in dublin and I dont have cover for NTL BB, fking losers, I will a have 3g BB mobile phone becore the NTL losers get around to upgrading the center of town

The centre of town will be the last place NTL bother upgrading their residential offerings. Think about it:
    • low density of residential property compared to business property (ntl business runs off a different network)
    • Having to get permission to replace underground cables (=digging = expensive)
    • have to get permission to replace cables inside buildings (means dealing with landlords and then tennants = lots of hassle)
    • most city centre addresses can get ADSL, so there isn't a huge untapped market...

Just rang NTL there and asked about broadband in my house in Clondalkin no joy there.

And i also asked about my new house in Tyrelstown (Dublin 15) and she said at the moment no but could be a very strong possibility sounds like that area is in the plans and considering i dont move in till March 05 i could be in luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by egan007
    Just enquired - not available in D9 - no date available
    65 Eur install fee
    Price is vat included

bum. im in D9 and was considering this.

btw on their site they claim install is free

http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_cable.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by TCP/IP
    house in Tyrelstown (Dublin 15) and she said at the moment no but could be a very strong possibility sounds like that area is in the plans and considering i dont move in till March 05 i could be in luck

I'm in Tyrrelstown and have been at them for 2 years to PLEASE come and upgrade our estate as we have no broadband choices at all. I long for the day I can tell Eircon to stuff their line rental!

LFCFAN hello there i have seen you post things on mytyrrelstown.com. Eircom say DSL will be done by March so there is light at the end of the tunnel. I would not be to sure that NTL will arrive even by March but with the choice of all DSL providers in Ttown by March it will get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Just checked myself as well and they are now available in my area of Lucan as well (Liffey Valley Park). Three months free and free connection. Yippee. :)

Now I just need to find out when my UTV contract is up and its off to 1.5 Mb and (relatively) no caps for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

just called - I can get it too. Now to ditch IOL(will have both for 3 months :D ) and more importantly that shower of (*ankers) Eircom. BB is the only reason I have a phone.

Does anyone know what the minimum contract is?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by maxheadroom
    The centre of town will be the last place NTL bother upgrading their residential offerings. Think about it:[/list]
    No I don't want to think about it. I just want it. I'm in the IFSC and there's loads of us here. It's a big market...
    Maybe I should look into that 2GB wireless ethernet network but I don't know the complexities involved for the likes of P2P software...

Advertisement