Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry - minimum Ram?

Options
  • 07-07-2004 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed a slow down (mainly during fight scenes etc). Is 512MB DDR PC 2700 enough? Do I now need 1GB to play far cry?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

1 gig is a must it seems :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭cmcquaid

I have 512, its slow loading up a level, also the first time you fire a shot in a level you'll notice some slowdown, after that its grand though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I have a gig of ram and a 2.4 processor and a 5600 Geforce. The thing wont run on high settings. The game is completely soulless anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It won't run on high settings because your graphics card is ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Farcry really wants more than 512. 768 is plenty. However, 1 gig is enough for any game that will be out this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by kmick
    I have a gig of ram and a 2.4 processor and a 5600 Geforce. The thing wont run on high settings. The game is completely soulless anyway.

Heh, it does kinda have that feeling of a pretty world inhabited by plastic androids to it..

I thought the "other adversaries" were more believable than the humans.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

I upgraded my GFX card and now it plays on high detail (just about), 1 gig ram helps but its mainly the GFX card that matters.

Is it me or is this game overrated?, I mean its has great tech behind it and efects and AI, but the game somehow does not really grab me, I lost interest after a while.

However 5 minutes of the intro to HL2 immeresed me totally, cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by Stephen

ROFL!
    You're in customer services right??!! :D

I'm quite engrossed in far cry now, but I think I set the difficulty level a bit high when i started, i'm constantly getting killed now.

if only there was more ammo lying about for that sniper rifle :)

Sleipnir: no point beating about the bush!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

your graphics card is ****

is a technical term haha

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    ROFL!
    You're in customer services right??!! :D

I actually work in a helpdesk position, can't you tell? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

veeeeeery long loading times, and you normally have to play for a minute until the game becomes stable after the initial load on my pc (raddy 9600, 512mb pc3200, xp3200+)

runs perfectly after that though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

if i want a good fps 40-60 i have to play with med detail all rd

3000xp
    1gig pc2700
    9800pro

farcry what do u want from me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cows With Guns

I finished it about 6 weeks ago, played it on an XP2000/256 DDR/ti4800. Didn't run great all the time (on medium settings), but for the most part it was very playable. It's a shame tho, id love to play it again with all the high settings.

Plays terribly in multiplayer, i suppose ISDN doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

yeah I'm having most of the problems ppl ar talking about here. Giant crashes on my last pc (p4 1.7ghz, gf4 ti4600 768 ram)

so more ram is the only way yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭cmcquaid

well your RAM is plenty, but your cpu and gfx card arent up to much :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

that was my old PC. new one is described in my sig:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Well it ran grand for me with 512SD Ram, so it isn much of a RAM hog at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I agree and im using that card too!, I just put everything up high except lighting and shadows (Low) and it runs sweet, althought i do have 1GB and 3.2. Im just waiting for X800's to become more available and come down in price at bit!

Sean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I should have said my system is:

512MG DDR 2700 RAM
    P4 2.5
    9700pro (not oc (yet))
    Xp pro

I have everything on max except shadows.

The game runs fine except as Tman says loading is shít, exiting the game takes an eternity, high action scenes.

For me this is (so far) one the best game I've ever played. Graphics are stunning. Gameplay is fluid. It's not too hard/not too easy (I hear this changes later in the game). Nice collection of weapons too from the sniper rifle (not enought ammo though) to rocket launcher. Game is def up there with COD, Max Payne 2 and Vice city (my fav games).

One thing that amazes me though is the jump in hardware requirements from anything else on the market.

That's the price you pay for those pretty graphics.

I have 1 gig of ram, the game exits instantly. I remember when i only had 512MB, when exiting UT2004 the hard disk would chug for a minute or two unloading all the virtual memory it was using I guess. Since upgrading to 1GB it doesn't use the disk at all for virtual memory purposes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

P3 800
    768meg ECC PC100
    GF4 Ti4200-8x running at AGP2x, overclocked a bit

Runs fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Sounds like a good game, I might get it.
    I'm suffering from flight-sim overload at the moment and killing a few people with guns face-to-face sounds like a good relief (and they say games don't desensitize people!)

I have
    P4 2.4
    1GB 3200 RAM
    9800XT
    so I shouldn't have too much trouble running it right?

it will run fine on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Stephen as you kindly pint out my graphics card is **** but I cant be bothered paying €200 for Far Cry because it is such a empty experience as a game. Will be spending some dough on one for HL2 tho. Oh Boy Oh Boy I is excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

I'd say 512 should do but as mentioned above it'll be slow enough loading times. However the game should still run pretty well, i think it more depends on the graphics card at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Have everything on high. Single player runs very smooth but still get some lag when playing online but not that bad. Apparently its better to have medium settings rather than lower settings for Far Cry for some reason they run better that way. And yes, FC is pretty intensive on hardware.

Advertisement