Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT rates on importing cars from the UK?

Options
  • 07-07-2004 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Is there any site that work out the VRT on importing second hand cars from the UK?
    or is there any site with info on importing cars??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

The rates have been discussed here before. Use the search function and you should find what you're after...

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

thnks m8!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

With the hype over the EU single market now having gone on for over 10 years, isn't about time somebody challenged this in relation to cars?

If we're supposed to have free movement of possessions with no taxes, it's time this continued form of government extortion were stopped.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is nothing the EU or anyone else can do about it as each country is entitled to set their own tax laws.
    It does go against EU aspirations but as I said...

• Advertisement

Well....... Yes and no.

The EU regulations prevent member countries from imposing import duty on most things under the free trade rules. Alcohol, tobacco, and cars are among the things which have as yet escaped the EU's "harmonization" process.

I detest the whole EU and it's dictatorial aspirations, but as we are part of it, I think we have every right to protest when the stated aims of free movement are not being adhered to.

As your VRT is applied to someone bringing a car into Ireland, it is effectively an import tax in application, if not in name. The same applies to the equivalent tax here in the U.K.

The tax is here to stay anyway, like it or not. If & when taxes are harmonised then we will be kinda screwed given our low corporation tax. If this is removed it could affect our potential to attract & retain foreugn companies.
    Also the govt need the money from somewhere and know that they can easily get it from the motorist as there would be no opposition from them!

Originally posted by kbannon
    Also the govt need the money from somewhere and know that they can easily get it from the motorist as there would be no opposition from them!

Unfortunately, that's ture. I think both the Irish and British government look upon the motorist as a source of money, to be plundered at will.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Ruatha

Unfortunately, that's ture. I think both the Irish and British government look upon the motorist as a source of money, to be plundered at will..

Agreed, I've had a quote from the VRT office of £4800 (minimum) to bring my car in to Ireland:mad:
    Needless to say, screw them, I'm gonna drive with english plates for as long as I can get away with it. I'll have an english licence and a residential address in England to, so they can't touch me:cool:

Ruatha**

go for it Ruatha. The barstards took about IR£1K off my wife (in 2000 on a 1995 Pug 106) when she moved down south from Belfast (her homeplace) because she hadn't enough evidence to prove she was living permanently in NI.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Ruatha
    I'm gonna drive with english plates for as long as I can get away with it. I'll have an english licence and a residential address in England to, so they can't touch me

And we have the idea over here that the Irish are rebels. Can't think why! :D

Go for it Ruatha. Good luck! ;)

Advertisement