Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Service for Gaming (Shortest Pings?)

• 07-07-2004 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Althought I'd initially chosen to go for UTV's Clicksilver based on their price and cap,
    I've seen comments in the forum that pings are slow; since gaming is a reason I'm getting broadband, this isn't good news.

Is there a comparison of ping rates for broadband providers anywhere?

P.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I think eircom have the best pings with ~40(?) - I'm on IOLBB+ and I get pings of ~50 to UK servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

Clicksilver is not good for gamers. If gaming is the reason you're getting broadband then I would suggest you look elsewhere before signing any 12 month contracts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

stay totally clear of utv if you are mainly a gamer, otherwise iol or eircom are fine for gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭weemcd

I'm not getting bb yet, but in a few months time, I’m in Northern Ireland so what would be the best ip for me. I love LAN’s and the like so id say I’ll be doing a lot of gaming when I get BB. Would the UK be better for gaming services?

If there is anyone here in the UK using bb could they advise me on an ip?

cheers:D
    weemcd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

NTL cover most of N. ireland dont they? If you can go with them do, as they have the best pings and the best value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

IOL has the best pings from whati have seen 10 to 30 on IOL servers , we get 50 to 60 on IOL servers with Eirocn. To Uk i get 50 to 70 with eircom.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

IOL has the best pings from whati have seen 10 to 30 on IOL servers
    And on Irish broadband servers i'd be shocked if i didn't get 3-4ms pings...
    EDIT: The reason for the low pings is because your packets to the IOL servers are going from yourcomputer>iol>back to your computer. They never actually leave IOL's internal bandwidth, thus the low pings.

What pings do you get typically to Uk servers (non-IOL ones).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

1st hop on most dsl services in the world is10-15ms so 3 to 4 is never gonna happen with dsl.

Cable maybe but not DSL i ping 50 to 60 uk ,most IOL peeps are the same.

kdjac

nd on Irish broadband servers i'd be shocked if i didn't get 3-4ms pings
    My first hop is 1-2ms typically, thats the advantage of wireless, you go straight to the ISP, no need for exchanges.

Ping statistics for 62.231.38.**:
    Packets: Sent = 32, Received = 32, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 3ms, Average = 2ms
    Control-Break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Hi Guys,
    Those 2 -3 ms pings are savage Mutant fruit:-0. Remember though that ping times from dos have little to do with online gaming experiance. I have Leap Broadband 1mbit up 1mbit down service and ping boards in 32ms and jolt in 44ms. While these are not as fast as some it the fact that it is rock steady that makes all the difference. Never any packet loss never any spikes. The ping is always the same. This means that my online gaming is always the same latency which I am used to by now (very slight lag in say instagib UT2004) in slower games it is like I am playing on a lan. So run a ping -t for a few minutes and make sure that there is no severe spiking, cause thats what really matters
    My wireless gear pings the gateway in 32ms every time but the next hops take only 1-2 ms mostly (good backhaul). Best ping I ever get in a real life game is 60ms, but if you check other players pings there are few with anything under that. The server becomes the bottleneck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I generally ping in the mid to high thirties on UK cs servers with esat business bb.

Generally your ping with clicksilver will be up around the seventies, a friend of mine used to use it and found it fairly poor. A tracert showed a silly amount of hops to get to any server.

If looking for an isp in NI, then try NTL first, as one poster already said. Friends of mine are using their 1mb service and sometimes complain about small amount weird lag in-game, but it also means they are extremely hard to hit :/ (other games might not have the stupid cs netcode issues though).

On my favourite British server i average 15ms and less :p Anywhere else my ping gets limited by the server, as it can't respond fast enough for me :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

eircom have best pings unless your going wisp

Damn 50-60 ping to Uk servers, with eircom? I was hoping at least 30-40.

only a good wireless connection will get you that. or NTL might.

Moving out to Saggart soon, have heard breifly of a wireless service being avaliable there. Might give it a go.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i get 35-50 with eircom on most uk servers and 30-40 on some of the really good ones, thats with eircom radsl. the difference in pings cud depend on some ppls configs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Get a direct fibre drop :) OC48 delivery with <5ms pings to Irish servers :):)

Originally posted by steve-hosting36
    Get a direct fibre drop :) OC48 delivery with <5ms pings to Irish servers :):)
    I'll do that if you'll get it installed for me, for a fiver :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Black_Omen

I’m in Northern Ireland so what would be the best ip for me

If you can get the BT broadband one and select the gamer package. its cheap and the pings are great!!! (I work for them lol)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Black_Omen
    If you can get the BT broadband one and select the gamer package. its cheap and the pings are great!!! (I work for them lol)
    they're bringing in caps now though, plenty more fish in the sea tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Well, you can get a fibre drop on-net in Dublin city for 250 a month for 2mbps, burstable... ;)

Advertisement