Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain -vs- Hosting

Options
  • 07-07-2004 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Need a little help, very confused ..

I have a *.ie domain hosted with esat, there is also mail hosted with esat, now i have just setup webspace hosting with dc-hosting.co.uk and naturally i want esat to update the records to reflect this.

Now apparently i have to go to the iedr, send faxes and all sorts to authourise the transfer of authority over the domain to dc-hosting

Is there no easier way of doing this?

Any help wld be appreciated
    Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Do you wish to transfer the domain to dc-hosting or just change

the nameservers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

looks to me like he wants to just get iedr to update his mx records to point to new mail servr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Technically, esat can point the 'A' records for the domain at the IP supplied by your host, however this is seldom done in practice. You will also experience mixed results from trying to get a uk host take on a .ie domain.

Try the A record route with esat, if that fails tell them you will transfer the domain away if they refuse. If that fails, move the domain to a regiatry that will help.

HTH, Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

oops thought he was talking about mail, your right its just an A record change

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You shouldn't have to go to the IEDR at all, as Esat host the DNS for you (I presume)
    You will need to formally request that Esat point the A records of the domain at the UK host. That is all.

If you decide to discontinue the email service with Esat and move it either to the UK host or inhouse you will need to get Esat to remove the DNS entries and you may wish to consider a DNS management service.

As Steve mentioned, getting a non-IE company to handle DNS for IE domains can be painful.

HTH

Michele

• Advertisement
Advertisement